Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam 61 – Allman Bros

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Nov 6, 2017.

1. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    my normal half a listen one take rubbish
    mistakes free of charge

montemerrick, TheDuck, mjark and 2 others like this.

2. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK

3. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Something is shining.

montemerrick likes this.

4. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    This is a tricky track. Sure, its easy to play over, but to really get it, its deeper than it appears on the surface.

@duzie - Nice tone, and some seriously smooth licks. Very nice!

@Mellencaster - Cool "live" vibe and tone. You let the song carry itself, rather than trying to lead it, and it worked really well. Well played!

@mjark - Chunky tone and nice use of the changes to create different moods throughout the track. Good stuff!

@bluestringer - Your "honking" tone works really well here, and what you didnt play means as much as what you did play. You let the song breathe and flow, and accented it, rather than try to suffocate and over play it. Good job!

@simoncroft - Nice use of two note chords and bends. You nailed a great feel and emotion on this one. A story told, and well worth listening to. Well played Sir!

@montemerrick - You took it down a notch. Not in quality, but in mood and vibe. A whisper sometimes speaks louder than a scream, and you just proved it. Great job!

@pauljo1963 - Sweet fuzz had me at the first note. Almost a Jeff Beck meets Santana type vibe and attack with some really nice licks. very cool!

@s5tuart - Oh yea, that was nice, really nice. This may be the best I've heard from you. I'll leave it here, and listen again, because, yea, I liked it that much.

5. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Wow! Thank you @TheDuck I consider that praise indeed from one of the players I admire on this forum.
    You're right about the complexities of the song. I found it hard to leave room for the backing guitar which was mixed quite high up in the original track and figured quite strongly in the "feel" of the number.
    Listening on anything other than headphones I found the tone of my '79 ES Artist quite sharp where I pumped up the presence control in an attempt to lift it above the backing. I probably overdid it but hey-ho! Thanks for taking the time to listen and for the lovely comments. :thumb: :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    TheDuck likes this.

6. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    @mjark Lovely fluid lines Mark and good theme.
    @Mellencaster Mmmmm! Telecaster goodness with just the right amount of bite! Great interpretation.
    @duzie Great tone and a little bit of dirt creeping in! Loved the almost jaunty feel around 3:38
    @bluestringer I loved the spaces you left for the backing to shine through. Sometimes less is more.
    @simoncroft Lovely. I really enjoy those little "waterfall runs" as I call them that you pull out of the hat from time to time. I wish I'd have thought of double stops too!
    @montemerrick Following those changes is a challenge that you rose to really well. Lots of dynamics in your playing too.
    @pauljo1963 I didn't hear any "rubbish" in there mate! Just an accomplished player enjoying himself!

7. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @montemerrick – Hurray for meetings that end early! Love the way you come in on this. Bob Marley would have given you a gig playing like this, I reckon. Sweeter and more laidback than most takes, it’s still uplifting.

@pauljo1963 – Nicely done. It that really was played after ‘half a listen’, you covered yourself very well there. The second is definitely the stronger of the two, and it’s packed with great ideas as you get into your stride. You rock!

@s5tuart – There’s real conviction in this take, as if it’s your song. Every line is perfectly formed and your vibrato is exceptionally musical. I wouldn’t know if it’s you ‘finest moment’ but it’s pretty bloody epic, start-to-finish! *

*This originally read: “Start to fish!” which struck me as a strange imprecation…

montemerrick and s5tuart like this.

8. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Thanks Simon! As long as it isn't "Go fish" I'm cool with whatever you type! :D. Thanks mate! :thumb:

simoncroft likes this.

9. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    I gave this another try !
    It still came out similar though. I guess that’s how I hear this in my head.

10. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

@mjark - that's a sweet and sympathetic melodic series you played... really maximizes the old major key potentialities for gripping narrative... dramatic and engaging... cool movement through the whole piece.

@Mellencaster - your take is pretty dang coherent too! really nice twangfest! and full of that north american heartland wonder - from Neil Young to Dickey Betts.

@bluestringer - that's a sweet tone you've got and you really sing this one... very nice. soulful as you could ask for.

@simoncroft - i knew you would find this track to be a natural platform for some of the things you do best... country filled gospel haunted bluesy stones-y gutbucket rock and roll. beautiful.

Mellencaster and simoncroft like this.

11. montemerrick

@pauljo1963 - lots of ragged glory! i'll confess it made me pick up my acoustic and play along... really sweet... fantastic tone too...

@s5tuart - lots of sweet and soulful lines, bends and overall feel - reminiscent of clapton, of course, but also seems like a very personal statement on your hands... quite beautiful!

@duzie - your second does have a similar vibe to your first, but it's also more relaxed and ready to roll with the changes... it's also plain old fun to listen to... nice one!

thanks for the patient, kind and very generous comments on mine...

s5tuart likes this.

12. montemerrick

i did another, sloppy take on my stratotele - all bridge pickup by @Bodean -

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    mjark, s5tuart, TheDuck and 2 others like this.

13. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @montemerrick – Very good indeed. Your take is packed with great melodies, and that's a great tone. I would have guessed it was an acoustic instrument of some sort. It's a very expressive sound, and I don't think I every heard an electric guitar sound quite like that.

montemerrick and s5tuart like this.

14. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Not much time this week, so here' my quick take. Played around with pickup switching and in-and-out of slide (which could be tighter) to try to keep things interesting, at least for me if not the audience.

duzie, TheDuck, mjark and 2 others like this.

15. montemerrick

thank you simon! maybe it's the flatwounds... i have this guitar set up to stand in for my acoustic for the medicine baul stuff, because the acoustic feeds back more than i can control (i'm no gabor szabo)... so i'm super pleased to hear that it's working!

16. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

I wished I'd laid down some of those lines. Really, really nice.

17. knh555

knh555 Strat-O-Master

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Nice, clean, mellow tone combined with relaxed playing simply works. I really like slapback with your restrained playing.

Mellencaster likes this.

18. montemerrick

@knh555 - nice and loose swagger, i like that you stand that overly bright major key cheer on its head in a gentle and affectionate but in no way going to fall for pollyanna optimism kind of way... the slide is cool too.

knh555 likes this.

19. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @knh555 – You're trying to slowly teach me Chinese, aren't you? So, 'sixty one' it is (and also in Japanese). This is a great take, really confident and fluent. This track is an ideal platform for your excellent slide skills, as well as that signature mid-range honk you often employ. 十分之九 :sneaky:

knh555 likes this.

20. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    God bless anyone who makes it through this.