Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam 61 – Allman Bros

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Nov 6, 2017.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @LeicaBoss – Well, you worked your way through it without too many signs of discomfort. I know some of those changes are a bit tricky if you don't know the song really well, but you delivered a tasty solo. Any thought that the Deep Purple interlude was a subtle reference that may have passed me by is beyond optimistic, but at least you know I listened to it all!

montemerrick and LeicaBoss like this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I've been sitting out for a few weeks, but I'm back.

I was having trouble making this flow. My playing today just seems kinda stiff, and full of clams (I'm gonna blame the guitar, instead of my lack of energy), but here it is warts and all. :thumb:

knh555, mjark, montemerrick and 5 others like this.

3. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    @mjark Nice lines, good phrasing (I heard a few licks in there that I'm gonna steal ;)), and good on ya for catching all of the changes.

@Mellencaster What a killer Tele tone! are you kiddin' me? Excellent phrasing too. Really had an effortless sounding flow to the whole thing. I really enjoyed listening.

@duzie Nice mellow feel, just right for the track. And lots of room between to breath between phrases. Good job.

@bluestringer What guitar and amp did you use? You had a lot of Clapton "woman tone" going on. Very nice. And Bb Major is definitely the right key.

@simoncroft Very cool take. You had some quirky stabby kinda stuff that I liked. Were you finger picking?

@montemerrick Your approach surprised me a bit, because I was half expecting you to play slide on this. You sounded great. I loved your mellow, no hurry kinda lines. Just strolling down the sidewalk on a lazy afternoon and enjoying the sunshine. :)

@pauljo1963 Nice Phrasing. Very conversational in nature. You told a story here.

@s5tuart The great tone grabbed me right off the bat. Your smooth flowing feel was great, and some of your bends almost made me thing you were playing slide. Very cool.

@duzie #2 was even better than the first IMO. In fact it was pretty outstanding. I think you nailed the changes on this one, and played with some attitude! :thumb:

@montemerrick This one was just as good as your first, but less laid back, more like "Hey I got somethin' to say here!"

@knh555 Great tone. You always sound like you (that's a compliment). I really like your style. You have a lot of Jeff Beck in you (never a bad thing IMHO). I liked the slide work, really worked well with the aggressive tone. This may be my favorite thing I've heard you do.

@LeicaBoss Very cool take. Just cool and confident. I loved the melodic chordal stuff mixed with the single note lines, and the soaring lead lines at the end merging into SOTW! You really took this somewhere unexpected. Very well played.

Wow! that was a lot of listening to a lot of good stuff. Now I need a nap.

4. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Ebidis – Glad you're back. That's a very committed musical statement you're making there, like a personal testimonial. I hear no clams, just good, honest, soulful playing. You rode those changes in a very impressive way. I think you needed a longer backing track!

Thank you for your kind comments. I haven't used a pick in years, because my right hand tends to cramp if I do.

5. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Thanks Simon.

I guess I never picked up on the finger picking nuance until now. That's a cool thing that I should really work on more, but the arthritis may not like it.

6. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    @Ebidis

You guys made my day. Thank you.

simoncroft likes this.

7. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Here is a quick take, glad everyone is still doing this :) Sorry about the errors.

duzie, mjark, Mellencaster and 4 others like this.

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    There are some very good, unique guitarists that I enjoy listening to on these forums. You, my friend, are one of them. :thumb:

simoncroft likes this.

9. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

that was sort of the most recklessly confident i've ever heard you play... like you somehow got your Greg Howe side and your Ray Charles side and your Elvis side to meet in the middle.

10. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @alainvey – This a great take, diminished in no way by any notes you may have wished to have played differently. The best bits (ie most of it) were so damn good, who cares! Thank you for sharing.

@Ebidis – You may find that playing without a pick actually assists your arthritis somewhat. I found it frustrating at first, but a good starting point if you have reasonably long nails is what I'd call the 'imaginary flat pick'. Just play as you normally do, but without the pick. Incorporating finger-picking at will into your style is the potential bonus. What I've never managed to do is achieve the clean, accurate runs I used to be able to play with a pick.

Ebidis likes this.

11. montemerrick

@LeicaBoss - true story - my orange guy is sitting on my lap, digging his claws into my knee and purring as he grooves to your take. the trip from mick taylor to mick ronson to the first rock riff i ever tried to learn and back to something you'd hear on a Cure record was very fun in deed. right on!

@Ebidis - an epic festival seating real warm wind blowing aroma of burning rope billy is in back puking up his guts and dammit we weren't supposed to be this alone on a damp rock flailing and flung sort of vibe.

LeicaBoss and Ebidis like this.

12. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Took another poke at the hornets nest. This time with a Les Paul.

TheDuck, duzie, montemerrick and 3 others like this.

13. montemerrick

@Ebidis - nice americana feel... laurs jomets, stuart mathis - both would recognize the story you tell... great tone as always.

Ebidis likes this.

14. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Ebidis 2 – Well, if you're going for Allman Brothers, you just chose the guitar to do it on. :) That was another soulful and impassioned take, with very much the Allman's vibe going on.

The danger I found with tinkering around too long with this song is I ended up playing something that sounds more like a complicated version of Let It Be. :oops:

Ebidis likes this.

15. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I've just consulted a calendar, and it looks as if tomorrow is going to be a Monday. :D

Do we have a track lined up is a "and let's do this one the week after" kind of way? If not, I thought this presented a reasonably clean canvas to paint our own ideas on:

s5tuart, Ebidis, montemerrick and 2 others like this.

16. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

This has the potential to be quite grand. I like it.

And regarding the calendar, since you are five hours closer to tomorrow as compared to where I am, I appreciate you noticing before I do.

simoncroft likes this.

17. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweden
    Not sure I can/will do anything with it, but it's a beautiful song and it reflects my mind perfectly right now.

18. montemerrick

hear hear!

19. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Now there's a wonderful blank canvas. My only issue with it would be, what tone and style do I use? :thumb:

I listened to everyones submissions, and there are some really good ones. Kudos to everyone!
    I just couldnt spare the time to put something together. I had two major projects due this weekend, and we all know bills have to be paid.

s5tuart and duzie like this.

20. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    You're allowed more than one submission. Do one of each. :thumb:

TheDuck likes this.