Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam #62 – Power Ballad in Am

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Here is my take, a simple one that I really enjoyed and played with utmost confidence, hence less wrong notes. I’ll try to make another one tomorrow with more “action”. :D

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    @Omar Great job! I can definitely hear your confidence growing. You are progressing nicely, and it's noticeable. Your tone was very nice as well. :thumb:

@Brian H What's to say that I have not said before? Great tone and playing as always.

@MagnusR That was some really good noodling. Tone, phrasing and feel were right on the money. Too bad you didn't go longer. I really like your laid back feel.

@bluestringer Hardly pathetic. I agree with @TheDuck , nice RC tone, and tasteful phrasing throughout.

@TheDuck Inspired by me? You flatter me sir! :D Then you went on to leave me in the dust! Absolutely wonderful tone, and killer fretwork!

@Mellencaster Really nice laid back take, I enjoyed it, and the 6ths were great. I love that style, and you did it well. You always play better than good.

@s5tuart Nice and smooth. Love the sustaining tone and melodic lines. No peril at all in this. :)

3. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England

4. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Just some mellow meandering

Tomorrow I’ll have time to listen to all of your submissions

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

5. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Here's a different one with out all the echo.

6. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

(a stealth visit.) i was looking forward to playing this later today... by the time it got here, things had changed substantially. it was fun sharing music with you all - this is my parting shot... i tried to acknowledge each of you somehow.

duzie, velvet_man, CigBurn and 11 others like this.

7. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    @montemerrick you have to stay my friend ;) wonderful take. It shows that you aren’t angry nor upset anymore :D

:whistling:

simoncroft likes this.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    That was a wonderful parting shot Monte. It saddens me that you will no longer be contributing here, but I understand that you must do what you think is right.

May the wind always be at your back, and the road rise up to meet you.

simoncroft, duzie and Omar like this.

9. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you! I started with triads and then a complete mess :D At least I knew exactly what notes I was picking.

Ebidis likes this.

10. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Sorry to see your leaving the forum !
    I blame you for giving me an appreciation for jazz ...
    Seriously though you’ll be missed here .
    I’m not a religious person but Godspeed Monte .

simoncroft, Omar and mjark like this.

11. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    It's sad to know this is your last track, it is poetic farewell ,if one thinks about it.

It will not be the same without you here by far but I can respect your decision Monte. Best of luck to you!

Omar likes this.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    You thought it was bad so far?

13. bluestringer

bluestringer Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia

Monte, I guess I missed something, not sure why you are leaving but you sure will be missed. I enjoy listening to your contributions, and you have inspired me with your generous comments on mine. Thank you and take care.

Omar likes this.

14. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Omar - Really nice use of melody with a clear sweet tone. Reminded me of 90s era Chris Issac or Robert Plant. Very nice!

@simoncroft - Your tones are constantly improving, as is your playing. Nice tone change about a minute in, ya brought the "quack". Well played Sir!

@duzie - Mellow and smooth, with some really nice use of chords, dynamics and bends. Good stuff!

@mjark - Just enough spank and crunch in your tone and playing to make this track pop for you. Sounds good!

@montemerrick - Great take. Musical and flowing with a bit of melancholy added in. I'm sorry to see you go, but I also understand that sometimes we have to adhere to our principles and do what we need to do.
    Take care man.

@Thrup'ny Bit - Oh yea, a bit of Beck, naybe some Page, either way, good stuff with a slick watery tone and some emotion thrown in for flavor. Very cool!

@MagnusR - Nice groove with a bit of attitude. Your bends and staccato picking gave a nice touch. Sweet!

@Brian H - I can hear so many influences in there, but its still uniquely you. Good stuff man, really good.

alainvey, Thrup'ny Bit and Omar like this.

15. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

Thanks for sharing your music and inspiring such a great group. I do hope you change your mind and return. Despite a few bad apples as you've just seen, this is one of the nicest online forums I've had the pleasure to be a part of. And you're a big part of that. It's the very passion that brought you to this decision that will make you sorely missed by many here. And I'll certainly miss swiping your tracks to duet over.

Whether you make it back to our little corner of the internet or not, please know that, should you ever make it to Boston, I would very much like to connect.

All, the best,
    Kevin

simoncroft, mjark and Omar like this.

16. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked it :) I have to listen to Chris and Robert.

fezz parka and TheDuck like this.

17. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Plenty of action going on in there. You have some nice little runs in there. It's not all about the flashy stuff.

Amazing progress from some of the earlier things you've posted. Well done!!

Ebidis and Omar like this.

18. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Many thanks my friend! This made me very happy, really :)

19. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Ebidis – Yeah, you went for it all right! More importantly, having gone for it, you got it, if you see what I mean. It was all an exciting ride, and as you can see from the ‘Likes’, it was a real crowd pleaser.

@mjark 1 – Shades of The Edge, which is as good a source of inspiration as any. You’ve pulled off the ‘epic’ possibilities of this track, while never forgetting to delivery and strong and melancholic melody. Lighters out everyone.

@knh555 – Ooh, I like what you’ve done with this. You’ve put your arranger’s hat on and made this track so much more than it was. Thank you for putting so much work into this. I agree: Hartley knows a thing or two about pickups.

@s5tuart – What you’ve done is very good. You’ve got a very strong lead part, then this really ethereal guitar wash that works almost like a string part and gives a very nice juxtaposition to the main guitar. Not “too many” at all.

@Mellencaster – Your use of sixths was imaginative and successful to my ear. In, fact, I enjoyed all of your nicely constructed playing, not least the tone, which is really sweet, and would make Knopfler smile, I’d guess.

@TheDuck – Whoah! I think that is the most exciting take I’ve ever heard from you, and that’s not to diminish your many other fine contributions. Really great playing, but also that “address my people from the top of the mountain” tone must make someone at 11 Rack sit up and listen.

@bluestringer – I struggle to share the poor opinion you apparently have of yourself! You’re a really good, thoughtful player who always pleases my ear with sweet lines and authentic Strat tones. The melancholy title and your lines are a very good match.

@MagnusR – Hey everyone, let’s go round to Magnus’s tonight, because it’s tasty noodle night! Your playing seems to have become much more considered and slightly less ‘gymnastic’ these days, which makes your playing more accessible to non-players, I feel.

@Brian H – I’m listening to this for the first time, but I’m sure it won’t be the last. The combination of a really memorable theme, the clever techniques you use to wring every ounce of emotion out of the notes, and the generally great playing is a “must revisit”.

@Omar – You’ve clearly been working hard since I last heard from you. As @Ebidis said, you are definitely progressing as a player, and you have a good ear for a pleasing melody. Are you playing with other musicians yet? If not, it may be time to start.

@duzie – The first thing I noticed was the strong rhythm part you put down. Good rhythm chops are what most of us need 90% of the time. Your lead work on this is very good too, I should add. Sweet-toned and absolutely right for this track.

@mjark 2 – A rather mysterious start is followed by a very nice take that demonstrates some of the potential power that incorporating triads can bring. There are many strong melodies in this version.

@montemerrick – Well, I hope your parting means you’re moving onto other musical activities, and not that something’s gone wrong in your life*. Your take reminds us of what a unique presence you’ve been here, so we’ve hopefully given a little back to you as well.

@Thrup'ny Bit – Great to hear you in such fine form. You really know how to deliver “the complete package”, and this is a very dexterous example of that skill. I could have stood listening to more, but thank you for what you’ve given us.

*Or did someone say something nasty to you on here? If so, I feel strongly that you should complain, rather than walk away. I'm sure we'd all rather keep you than some ill-speaker who has spoiled the community spirit.​

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Brian H, Thrup'ny Bit, Ebidis and 7 others like this.

20. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    @simoncroft I went through your entire post not only the part related to me. Such encouragement and positive energy your provide others with, is the to continuity and success.

I can’t thank you enough for keeping my spirit high and the enormous support you and other good members are giving me :)

I should join a jam in my area, I’m sure I’ll get even better when I play with others.

Thank you, Simon, I appreciate your comment.

Noahclem, s5tuart and simoncroft like this.