Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam #70 – Good ol' Country Swing

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Jan 8, 2018.

1. bolognahead

bolognahead Strat-Talk Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito

Thanks @Mellencaster for very good track, well recorded good sounding. It was great for me try remember some old kung-fu country moves which me hasnt had not been practiced much. Good study. Me will tries to post second take later, this was first take.
    You good play all!

Edited to include second take, this time me remembers some old tae-kwon-do tricks disguised as country.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

2. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland

3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    The double stops are not my thing but I'm glad it worked for you and also it didn't make me look foolish (fingers crossed);)

knh555 likes this.

4. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

@bolognahead, You've got some serious country chops! I bet he's pulled the wool over our eyes and he's really from Texas. :thumb:

bolognahead likes this.

5. bolognahead

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito
    Thanks for listen @knh555 , your take very musical, melodic, loving the slide guitar lines, really musical.

knh555 likes this.

6. bolognahead

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito
    @simoncroft that horse was probably surprised with the result, it was even glad to be mounted. Love the use of compression and I can her some slapback but not sure if its the compression creating this effect as well, really nice country tone.

@roger@pennyflic hotel coliformis always sounded like a dark country tune to me, good catch and well played solo

@Mellencaster is that the middle position on a tele? Could not be more country, very cool lines and sound

Mellencaster likes this.

7. Mellencaster

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    @roger@pennyflic The Hotel Cal worked well.

@bolognahead You've got some sweet country chops , some Brad Paisleys style playing right there.Nicely played! Kevin says Texas ,I say Nashville :)

@mjark Good stuff Mark! Sweet playing and your country playing has raised the bar up few notches

knh555 and bolognahead like this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I just found a video of the tune on YouTube, now it has some context, it makes sense.

simoncroft and Mellencaster like this.

9. Mellencaster

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Yes tele but on all the bridge with the tone roll off slightly

bolognahead likes this.

10. Mellencaster

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    I knew there was a video but I couldn't find it under lambadalasse Lars Martin

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

11. bolognahead

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito
    @mjark Very good tone and phrasing, correct if me wrongs but that sounds a lot like a Stratocaster Twang with a touch of overdrive. Very clever use of counterpoint lines. The other guitar seems like something humbucker.

12. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    It's a Tele with Nocaster pick ups on both parts both bridge pick up. Just different post processing.

bolognahead likes this.

13. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

The page won't let me click "Like" twice. Damn!

Nice playing, as always. I want you in my band.

Nice job spelling "favored" like a non-American. It really helps keep the game up. ;)

bolognahead and Mellencaster like this.

14. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @knh555 – Love that steely whine! Nice theme and very well played, so a success all round. By mid way, your two parts are dueting very effectively. Very pleasing on the ear.

@roger@pennyflic – I can imagine Lesley West of Mountain playing this, or maybe someone who accepted a stand-in gig, only to discover it wasn’t the rock band he’d been led to believe. This is a much slower version too.

@Mellencaster – Plenty of yee hah! In your very tasteful take. Well done for coming out with such a comprehensive succession of country licks to add variety to what is a pretty basic progression.

@montemerrick – Well, I can hardly ignore this take, however it got here. This man puts in the hours, and it shows in his increasingly sure touch, which hasn’t lost an ounce of individuality. A pleasingly jazzy approach.

@bolognahead – 1. Very strong for the start. Really like the tremoloed rhythm part, and the rolling country licks and very sure bends. 2. Tae-kwon-do or country, those are super-tasty licks. I wish I was good enough to steal them!

@mjark – Great tone; really authentic and with a lot of depth too. It must have been really difficult to split your lines between the two guitars like that. Did you write the parts out, or just memorize where the rests would be? However you did it, it’s very good.

Mellencaster and bolognahead like this.

15. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    The title is the explanation. I was just trying to get one take that I could stand to submit. I wasn't that pleased with either on their own. Then I got the idea to use both. I just muted sections from each track, it's somewhat easy to see where the phrases break but I didn't even always try for that either. It's just an experiment, that sort of worked a little bit.

16. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    @mjark, I like it! Edits or not. You have a great sense of phrasing and are clearly comfortable with this whole country business. Nothing wrong with editing (depending on your goals in recording a piece).

Sometimes, when I want to get the phrasing just right, I'll just record one verse, chorus, or bridge at a time, allowing me to focus on the structure of the whole piece. It just depends on how I jive with a particular tune what approach I take. You seem to generally have a pretty good sense of not only phrasing, but how they develop throughout the tune.

bolognahead likes this.

17. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    It worked rather well, so thanks for the explanation. Obviously, spotting the joins is fairly easy when one part is panned left and the other right! Your phrasing is pretty consistent though, otherwise it wouldn't work at all.

18. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I only know a couple notes!

19. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I sometimes start with a chorus or bridge. Sometimes the melody is so obvious I need to get it down before I forget it.

knh555 likes this.

20. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Only had a couple of minutes to spare and was just being a wee bit silly. I'll try and do this properly over the next few days..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edit: Actually there are only a few notes of Hotel Cal that didn't really fit. I might massage it a bit and with a very large shoehorn see if I can squeeze it in :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky: