Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam No. 75

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by roger@pennyflic, Feb 11, 2018.

1. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Aha! I see the problem. You need to move that candle away from the mirror. It's bad Chi . :D

Mansonienne, Omar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Y'all need to quit telling yourselves you suck. That goes for everyone. Attitude is 90% of everything. If you tell yourself you can't do something, then you have already lost.

I remember watching an interview with Jimmy Page back in the '80s, and he was asked what advice he would give to aspiring guitarists. His answer was: "Have confidence in what you do".

I think that is great advice.

s5tuart, Mansonienne and Omar like this.

4. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Mansonienne likes this.

5. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The K is silent. So it is like: Nopp-flur

Mansonienne and Omar like this.

6. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    The "p" isn't silent too? pf = f o_O

7. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Neither the K nor the p are technically silent, it's a Hungarian name, but most people these days tend to pronounce the name as Noffler rather than take the trouble to say it properly.

Omar likes this.

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I have always heard it as Nopp-flur, so I'm just going by the way I have always heard it pronounced.

Mansonienne likes this.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I remember an interviewer on the telly getting his teeth in a tangle trying to say it properly, way back in the 70s.. "Can I just call you Mark?" :D

Mansonienne likes this.

10. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Me too.

OK I’ll stop telling myself I suck. Whether I’ll believe myself or not is a different story...:p
    (Sorry, I’ll stop... just going through a bad patch which I hope is just a plateau on the improvement curve and not an unscalable wall...I’ll shut up and keep working and playing my guitar...)

s5tuart, Omar and Ebidis like this.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    There is such a thing as taking on too much, too soon. Not that you, of all people, could ever be guilty of that. :p

Four weeks? :eek:

s5tuart, Omar and Mansonienne like this.

12. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Patience is not one of my virtues...and, yes, I need to get myself to the woodshed...:eek:

Omar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

13. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Silent P, as in BATH . :D

14. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I had to think about that for a few seconds, and then...

ROTFLMAO. :D

Mansonienne and s5tuart like this.

15. s5tuart

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Just a step on the never ending ladder! I haven't touched a guitar for a few days now! I have the flute part and the lead guitar part of Baker Street to get under my belt! Time is ticking!

Mansonienne likes this.

16. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    lol

s5tuart likes this.

17. bluestringer

bluestringer Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia
    Ok, I gave it a try. I cut it short to save anyone brave enough to listen the torture on the ears.......there is a lot of noise for some reason, couldn't figure how to get it out.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

18. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Hello chaps. Just back from a great weekend at the 40th Anniversary gigs of The Monochrome Set, who I played bass for in 1978*. Brain a bit fried, hence I occasionally slip into the wrong key:

Thanks to @roger@pennyflic for posting and @Omar for the downloadable.

The full title of this piece is actually The Man Who Has The Nerve To Rip Off Jeff Beck BADLY!

* Probably my best-known contribution. Haven't changed a bit. No honestly. I've always looked 61 years old:

19. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I made another go at it last night. Added bass on the back half.

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Before we get started, I just want to say that everyone who takes the trouble to post the backing track (maybe even create it), or makes it downloadable for the rest of us, or grabs their guitar and posts their take on the week’s track, is an asset and a valued member of our community in my eyes.

Sometimes, we maybe forget to tell each other that. I really hope no one walks away feeling their contributions are unappreciated. That certainly isn't how it feels for me.

There will always be another week, or another track we could choose, but without the players who want to take part, the Jams and the Challenges can’t even exist.

@roger@pennyflic – You’re a darn good player, mate, and you always turn out a really polished production. Plenty to like here, from the harmony parts to the fluent soloing and the slide playing. Bloody inventive too!

@montemerrick – I really like the way you develop this by stages. Your use of harmonics on this is part of a super-melodic web of motifs that really adds to what is really a very simple vamp when it comes to the backing.

@Alan L Cole – You’re a sharp player, and the interplay between your two guitars really brings out the fun two dueling guitars can have. You’ve really brought out the swing in the boogie-beat, and captured a very ‘live’ feel. It’s great!

@knh555 – Cool! I think we may have heard this track is quite a similar way. You want to hear “sour notes”, just check mine out! Yours is pretty polished to my ear. Plus, you noticeable lack of rock clichés is admirable.

@Ebidis – So glad hear you haven’t abandoned us. Especially as you’ve given us a great take from what I can tell is an inspiring Esquier. It just gets better and better and you get into your guitar and the groove of the track. There’s a hint of Zappa in this. (Your video was the right way up for me BTW.)

@Thrup'ny Bit – Nice style! Love the gentle stroll this takes across the beat, and the additional chords you’ve put into the composition, which is what it is now. You’ve taken the basic idea and run with it a very long way, which is great.

If I don’t put the dinner on now, old people will go hungry…

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018