Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam No. 75

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by roger@pennyflic, Feb 11, 2018.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    It helps that I don't know any. :whistling:

2. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France

3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Omar – This is very nice indeed. Your feel for note choices and phrasing is spot on and I really like the upbeat vibe. Your tone is a great fit for what you’re playing. It’s the musical equivalent of sunshine.

Also, big kudos to Omar for this: http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/weekly-jam-51-the-thrill-is-gone-ish.448006/page-8#post-3072493 Five months down the line, he’s gone back to a Jam thread, and posted a new take. It’s well worth a listen.

@mjark – Now I hear your take, it makes me wish I’d taken more care in developing themes and based my sound more on honest guitar tones. There’s a lot of expression in your tone from one note to another. You stayed the course too.

@bluestringer – Great playing but WTF is that noise!? If it isn’t analogue (ie your guitar sounds good into an amp, try changing patches on your effects.) If it still sounds bad, you’ve either got a USB cable only half-way in, or something bad is happening at the computer end. Shame, because this is a very confident take.

@knh555 – 2. Man, this is seriously cool, and I can’t begin to think how much work you’ve put into this. Just the bass line makes this into more of a band jam, rather than an endlessly repeating sequence.

@Mansonienne – All the notes I used, minus the wrong ones, which suggests you’re doing something right! There are some really effective themes in your take, so you might want to listen to what you’ve done and note the best bits, before I steal them.

Omar, Mansonienne and knh555 like this.

4. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Now that's some awesome commentary!

Omar and Mansonienne like this.

5. duzie

duzie Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Here’s my attempt at this .
    I had a difficult time with this one .

6. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    I see another big turnout this week, even with a little added confusion in the beginning! :D

No worries, I hope nobody leaves the challenges. Speaking of which, this one was certainly a challenge for me. I have always struggled with shuffle-style backing tracks in the past for some reason, and then with this one being a modal type backing track as well, yikes.

I tried to not use any pentatonic scales here, and only modal stuff. Cut it short.

7. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you so much Simon. You always amaze me with your comments :)

I wanted to know whether I am progressing and if I'm doing same mistakes/bad habits. I was surprised that I'm not in the same position as before. There is progress, even if it is tiny, I'm happy with it :D

By the way, if the link didn't work, in address bar change /page-8%23post-3072493 to /page-8#23post-3072493

8. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Nice playing my friend :) Is this the new guitar? congratulations :thumb:

9. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Ehem..you're taking the spotlight away from me :p

Very well played Andrea! :thumb: As Simon has stated, your selection of notes is spot on.

Alan L Cole and Mansonienne like this.

10. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Thanks for your kind words. I think I should have taken it up a bit, it felt anticlimactic. A nice long bend higher up maybe... but anyway.

I’ve only just started listening to everyone’s takes. So far, I’ve heard the usual awesome performances... :thumb::thumb:

Omar likes this.

11. duzie

duzie Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Thanks for pointing out that this had a shuffle beat !
    I also tried to avoid the pentatonic shapes and tried to squeeze in a modal feel completely ignorant of the shuffle lol...
    Nice guitar by the way

12. bolognahead

bolognahead Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito

Hello this cool nice jam, me tries play not boring but it is what it's

Ebidis, s5tuart, duzie and 6 others like this.

13. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @duzie – I’m glad you had a hard time with this. Why? Because your take is very good, so you must have worked hard and really learned something along the way. Spot on my man.

@Dare1 – Very nice modal approach indeed. Lends the track a psychedelic vibe in places. You’ve really made full use of the scope of this track without taking it anywhere it couldn’t go. A thinking man.

@bolognahead – You were on top of this from the first chord. Powerful playing and certainly not boring! Really great rhythm to your lead lines. Really bang on the beat, which makes the track jump along.

bolognahead and Omar like this.

14. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Time for a duet. @Alan L Cole and I put this together quickly. Probably a bit too quickly as we're both hearing things we'd like to change, but isn't that always the case? I'm guessing most of you can tell who's playing which parts. ;) If you can't, I'll just say that @Alan L Cole's a hell of a player. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

15. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I like it! Great job you both. Let’s see if u can add something to this - ruin it in other words lol :D

16. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Strat-O-Master

Jan 29, 2018
    NY
    Wow didn't realize how behind I was getting.

@bluestringer - It happenps but you worked through the noise and delivered some nice riffage. Extraneous noise can be maddening at times.

@simoncroft - Oh, I thought that was Mr. Beck sitting in on this one. Nice job with that very sweet tone (2:04, ex), pretty riffs (4:27) and cool attack and technique. Beck-Ola!

@knh555 - (Repeated Carnage) Love that title and intro melody but can't recall where it's from (diminishing grey cells ;)). Your solo work has a Jeff Beck vibe for me. Very cool!

@Mansonienne - Moving a little towards @mjark's cool tone zone. Nice work on the melody.

@duzie - Another track with great tone. Nice melody and some nice supporting riffs. Cool outro!

@Dare1 - The LP looks and sounds great! You got some nice runs in there.

@bolognahead - Wow, cool attack, phrasing, tone and vibrato! I love combos of shredding and bending. Nice runs.

@knh555 - Thank you for the jam! You played beautifully here. Thank you for the kind words but I'm no more of a player than anyone else. We are all different and the grass always looks greener as they say ;). Cool jam-a-ram-ma fun!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

17. bolognahead

bolognahead Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito
    @knh555 me cans recognize both player, you left player @dare is right, me senses there also a different bass track? Or me hearing things. Very cool jam and tones, me reminds of some psychedelic bands like country joe and the fish, grateful dead, mariani (insert any 60's psychedelic band), very cool

knh555 likes this.

18. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Actually, @Alan L Cole comes in first on the left. Or maybe you put your headphones on backwards? :p We both like that throaty tone, so perhaps that's the confusion. I'm on the right. And no, you're not hearing things. I added a bass track that enters about 50 seconds in.

I really like Alan's tone here and tried to keep mine a bit softened in comparison so as not to compete with it.

bolognahead likes this.

19. bolognahead

bolognahead Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    Lake Papakito
    @simoncroft so many a good sound in one post. me very much likes the monochrome set song. has certain vibe of pink floyd first album, catchy rhythm and bass line.

20. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-O-Master

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Totally agree about Alan. He brings it every week, very passionate guitarist.

Omar, Alan L Cole, simoncroft and 4 others like this.