Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Well that sucks

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by GuitarPix, Feb 13, 2018.

1. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    At band rehearsal - before a two week hiatus while the bass player goes on holidays - we (mostly the drummer) got into a loud ‘conversation’ about roles in the band, direction of the band, tunes we were learning, general dissatisfaction, blah blah blah.

Capped the practice with the drummer playing loudly and aggressively enough by himself to cut off further conversation.

Not the first issue with the drummer - but was the worst.

Bass player and I both took all our stuff and left. So much for that band. Real pity because these guys are all talented and we could have been one of the best bands going around here - and there’s some good bands in town.

Elvie and abnormaltoy like this.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    What a bummer. Sadly a lot of good bands seem to end too soon. I hope you guys patch it up.

abnormaltoy likes this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.

It’s always the drummer...
    Sorry to hear.

jrbirdman, Mansonienne, Grux and 5 others like this.

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Sorry to hear that. I don't play in a band and never have but I certainly can see where that would suck....

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I think my band with my kid may have broken up over the weekend.

Oh well.

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    He should have just exploded. Well he kinda did.

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I hope not - but if so hopefully there's still chances to do music together in some form down the road.

or choked on his own puke (well, we can't prove it was his puke, its not like can fingerprint puke.) :D

The absolute best part was probably how the singer went out for a cigarette only to came back and the band was breaking up. A total WTF moment I'm sure.

8. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    So sorry to hear that! Hopefully you'll be able to re-form with a more stable drummer!:p:whistling:

Seriously, the cover band I was in last the drummer was a wack job. BUT- he had a terrifically nice rehearsal space / studio. Stage set up, lights, atmosphere, great system. But it finally got to be too much and in the interim we went our separate ways. For the record...out of over a dozen bands I've been in over 3 times as many years, he was the only drummer that was that obnoxious.

So sad though- it isn't usually the music that drives bands apart- usually personality clashes or the old "Nobody recognizes my brilliance, even though I've told them 50 times!" syndrome...

Best wishes!

Brian

Raiders757 and abnormaltoy like this.

9. GuitarPix

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Thanks everyone

abnormaltoy likes this.

10. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    My drummer is the biggest complainer. He just plays on the downbeat and is a 'pocket' drummer. I suggested that he play on offbeats and he ignored me and tried to do nothing.

Next band I'll get a drum machine. He does the same thing...playing loud to make sure we "hear" the beat..... a completely useless tactic for most musicians. He complains about everyone's playing except his own, which is relatively pedestrian. And he doesn't hear his own mistakes, but he's always ready to point out any mistakes to others... This is basic immaturity.. I don't think he practices.

Tell your drummer to shut up and keep rhythm. And then find a new drummer. Maybe one who'll do some innovative things and takes his role more seriously.

abnormaltoy likes this.

11. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Strat-O-Master

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Well, if you and the bass player walked out...fire the drummer, keep the band, and hire a new one.

12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Word.

Drummer is probably the most disposable/replaceable part of many bands, unless the drummer is just something incredibly unique.

I’d keep looking until I found a group of talented guys who just love to play music.

Strat Jacket and abnormaltoy like this.

13. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Sorry about the troubles, sometimes being in a band is harder than being married.

14. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    C-Town, Ontario
    Last band I was in the singer pumped the drummers wife.

End of band lol

ChukkerNation, Grux and abnormaltoy like this.

15. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    and marriage is only between 2 people! (unless you happen to be a part of a certain fringe sect of a certain religious system) :D

meshing musically is the most important.. but meshing personally and having a good time is what makes it worth doing.

I've only had a few (very insignificant) personality conflicts over the last 10 years gigging, and every single time it has been with a primadonna percussionist. Don't get it.

Strat Jacket, abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.

16. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

I know, I'm very grateful for the good people and the good bands I've been in.

Strat Jacket and nickmsmith like this.

17. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    sharing is caring!

Grux and abnormaltoy like this.

18. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I disagree, it was the bass player in my last band. We had a great drummer.

19. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Strat-Talker

Jul 8, 2016
    Mississauga
    Ego is a very destructive force. I’ve both left bands because of my ego, and, after I recognized I was being a douche and worked on getting rid of it, I’ve had bands fall apart because of other people’s egos

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

20. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

May 8, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Except for my first band I agree. My last band we stayed together for 7 years and replaced drummers 4 times.