Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What 12" valve combo to buy?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SachaPlusDeluxe, Aug 9, 2018.

1. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-Talker

So I recently sold my Marshall MA100H (great head just never gonna use it) and have a craving for a valve combo. I shouldn't really as I already have 10 other amps but, well, you know...... GAS! lol oh and I don't presently have a full valve combo ;)

So what to buy :confused: (or at least drool after :D)

I've never been a fan of 12" combos as I prefer 2x12" to gig with BUT this isn't for gigging its for grabbing when I go to practice and for sh*ts n giggles :) It also has to be minimum 15 watt and relatively cheap.

So current list Im considering (mainly the top two):

Blues Junior (second hand)
    Laney Cub 12R
    Egnater Tweaker 112
    Marshall DSL20C

Any I've missed and any thoughts on the above?

Cheers :)

2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Mesa studio 22 plus - Killer amp. Great tones. fat clean, nice reverb, Classic drive.

Mesa DC 3 - Solid amp with a huge variation in tone.

these two are awesome 1X12 combos. they wont break the bank.. Usually I see both for around 500 Cdn on the used market. In my opinion these offer much more than a Blues Jr for pretty much the same price on the used market

The laney Cubs are also pretty cool, but I just dont really trust their reliability..

I trust the boogies to perform.

AxemanVR, SachaPlusDeluxe and s5tuart like this.

3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    I played through my new DSL20CR last night at a jam session in a bar.
    It wasn't mic'd and I was up against a Fender Twin or something and was annihilated.
    Although so were the vocal monitors, so instruments were too loud for the monitors (except mine lol).
    I used it at another much bigger bar where they mic'd it and sent it to the monitors.
    Perfect.

Attached Files:

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.

4. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    Here in the US a used Blues Junior seems to be around $350-$450 while a used Studio 22 or DC-3 seem to be more like $550-$650.

That said, I agree with @carver about the Mesa Boogies being great sounding amps that are far more versatile than a Blues Jr and, if I were you, I would go for one of those over the other choices if you can afford them.

P.S. My next choice on your list would probably be the Blues Junior...

Good Luck!

`

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    SachaPlusDeluxe and carver like this.

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Vox AC15 otherwise get the Marshall.

The Blues Jr is soso meh and the egnator is alright.

Marshalldsl20 or Ac15

Pulsar, SachaPlusDeluxe and tery like this.

7. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I just picked up a Blues Junior III and I absolutely love it. You have a master so you can dial in the clean and distorted sounds you like at any volume.

SachaPlusDeluxe and bassetman like this.

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Why get a valve amp when you can just get a KAtana that will relace aany ttube amp......

Hahhahahahahhahaahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahjahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

9. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    You should at least check out the Bug V22 combo.

10. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Mesa Studio 22+
    Can't go wrong! :D

22 of the loudest watts you'll ever hear, and tones that are pure Mesa. Use at home, use at pub gigs, mic up for the big venues!.

IMG_4929.jpg

Omar, carver, Groovey and 1 other person like this.

11. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York

12. Keep on Truckin

Keep on Truckin New Member!

Sep 14, 2014
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Find a Used Crate V16 Palomino , Made in St. Louis,USA ,- All Tube , 3 EQ, Gain, Master, Reverb, 16 Watts probably . closer to 20 Watts w/ 12" Speaker - VERY nice! $2-$300

SachaPlusDeluxe and Class A Knob like this.

13. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    You have the Laney Cub 12R on your list. I think it's been widely spread around the inter-webs that the very inexpensive 15 watt Monoprice StageRight is the same amp as the Laney Cub 12R.

I have the Monoprice, it sounds ok for kicking around the house. It's very portable amp. It may keep up with a band, I've not tried. It can get to a decent volume. It's not in the class of some of the other amps mentioned (i.e Mesa), but it's not a bad amp. I won't regurgitate everything you can read about them. They are cheap. At half the price of the Laney it's a pretty low cost proposition to try one out or to spend a little extra cash (or use what you may have laying around) on tube & speaker swaps.

I'm not recommending you buy one. Lots of great amp options out there. I just pointing out that if you're looking at the Laney you can save some cash buy just getting the Monoprice.

Strat Jacket likes this.

14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I would have mentioned the Monoprice Joe, but it seems MP doesn't have much distribution in Europe. They sell through Amazon over there, but all I could find on their site was a relatively expensive Monoprice 5w amp.

SachaPlusDeluxe and joe_cpwe like this.

15. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    if it was me, i would find a used ac15. those things cover a lot of territory, and are definitely loud enough for almost any situation. and with a master volume, can be good for home use as well.

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    I haven't had the pleasure of trying a Bassbreaker 15, but I am very intrigued by them...

`

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.

17. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    You could build a 5E3 Deluxe kit.

18. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    There's always one....

19. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    hes somethin else, aint he?

20. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Another vote for the AC15... or even a 12” AC4 if it’s primarily for home use...

My main practice amp is an AC4 with an old greenback in it and it sounds glorious for home volume stuff. Still to loud fo the missus though!!

The-Kid and SachaPlusDeluxe like this.