Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What 12" valve combo to buy?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SachaPlusDeluxe, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    LOTSA good suggestions...didn't read the entire thread, but, in case it wasn't mentioned:

BassBreaker 15 AND (not quite 15 watts), but- the venerable, iconic FENDER PRINCETON! I guess the Bass Breaker isn't truly a full tube combo...

Brian

2. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Yaralag, SachaPlusDeluxe and Percy like this.
  3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have not read a bad review for either one of these Traynor amps and quite reasonably priced:thumb:

savofenno, Yaralag and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I love mine. Been using it at band practice since April, and it is great.

Last night at practice, just for fun, I switched back to my Hotrod Deluxe, because I hadn't played it for a few months, since I got the Bassbreaker, and I wanted to refresh my memory.

I played it for about 15 minutes, and switched back to the Bassbreaker. I remembered loving the HRD with pedals before, but I guess I've really become used to the real tube crunch, and dynamics of the Bassbreaker, and the HRD just seemed a bit pale in comparison. The Bassbreaker just does what I want an amp to do.

Yaralag likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Magnatone Twilighter.

henderman and SachaPlusDeluxe like this.
  6. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It is as far as I know. Other than the digital reverb. It has a tube preamp and power section.

The-Kid and SachaPlusDeluxe like this.
  7. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-Talker

I actually run a V22 Head into a 2x12 cab for gigging :) (changing all valves to JJ Teslas really brought out the sweetnes :p) and although I absolutely love it, I fancied something a bit different ;)

johnnymg likes this.
  8. SachaPlusDeluxe

Thanks to all for the responses, some great suggestions.

I think when funds allow I'm likely going to go down the Laney Cub 12R route.

I'd prefer to go second hand but living in Jersey (9x5 island between UK and france) I'm really limited and the Blues Junior that was for sale has now sold :(

9. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
  10. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    I have a Marshall DSL 20CR. I owned a USA Blues Jr in the past. I like the Marshall better and it’s plenty loud enough to gig with.

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.
  11. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

This pic never gets old..!

s5tuart and SachaPlusDeluxe like this.
  12. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

We think so much alike.

I've not tried the Marshal 20, but the 40 is sweet.
    Especially if you're coming from a 100.

The-Kid and SachaPlusDeluxe like this.
  13. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    I had the Laney Cub 12R, and it was pretty darn sweet. Gigged it around a bit and never had issue with it. The built in attenuator was cool for living room play too. Took the Rocket 50 a long-ass time to break in though. If I could go back, I might have just dummied up the cash and switched it for a different speaker. Never could quite decide if it was cool or silly looking, still not sure. Also, can't remember for sure, but the reverb might be elektwonik and not spwing, (which I fundamentally don't approve of).

Also, you can get an FSR version of the Princeton Reverb with a 12, and I'd rather have that than anything else on your short list.

Have fun!

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.
  14. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I stand corrected- it has three different "voicings / configurations" but is indeed tube...

Brian

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The 3 different "voicings" are actually just 3 different gain stages.

16. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Cool beans.

Got a question for you. I've got a Bug T5 head and I really love the clean tones on it and how simple straightforward it is compared to my Katana 100. The only problem with it is that it breaks up too early for my tastes when pushed a above mid level studio volume. Hence, I'm considering (lusting after) a V22 head to run into a 2x12 cab. Question for you is how does the V22 head sound at modest studio/bedroom volume when set clean?

Also, how quiet is your V22 head? I'm a nutball when it comes to amp hiss/hum. I've gone through a couple tube amps and always sell them off (and return to the Katana) because of too much background noise. My T5 head is just barely quiet enough for my tastes.

17. SachaPlusDeluxe

Put it this way, I wouldn't run it at home :) It's VERY loud and with amps like that you need to push them past 5 (or 12 oclock) on the volume to get a thick sound, anything below is uninspiring unfortunatley, not bad just a bit flat.

I had a V5 combo for a while and loved it, you might want to try changing the preamp tube to a 12at7 to give you a bit more headroom OR do what I did and buy a blackstar HT5R which is much more versatile ;) I loved the V5 but it was pretty much a one trick pony and didn't like humbuckers as it was too dark sounding.

johnnymg likes this.
  18. Rich64

Rich64 New Member!

Aug 10, 2018
    Tulsa, OK
    Let not the Dark Side into your amp selection!

19. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    After playing so many amps and such since the age of 13 now 15 years plus playing Im going to sound like an old git.....

You just cant beat a good tube amp.

But in all honesty you cant beat a good SS amp.....

I was really considering buying an amp to replace my Roland Cube.....thinking hey this Katana STUFF are being touted as better than tube amps....hell should be better than my cube and maybe my AC15.....

In short hell no....not even half as good as my Roland Cube let alone my AC15.

4SEVEN3 and AxemanVR like this.
  20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    `
    After hearing the name "Katana" so many times I'm finally getting curious about how they sound, so...

If I end up getting sucked into buying one and selling off all my awesome tube amps then I'm going to blame YOU @The-Kid !!!!!

:mad:

`

Tim S and fattboyzz like this.