Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What acoustic strings do you all use?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Nate D, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I’ve played Martin strings for years. Mostly the SP and phosphor bronze sets and recently I’m not really digging them.

What do you use?

circles likes this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Martin Lifespan 12-54 phospore bronze are my new favorites. They don't have that plastic cover that Elixir strings do, but somehow they last much longer than regular strings.

I don't know what the trick is they are slightly cheaper than Elixir but they play and sound great. I love them.

Elixirs go for about 20 here, these are around 15 usd.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Henfield Strat, jrbirdman and Nate D like this.
  3. nungesser

nungesser Whyyyyyyyyyyy can't I touch it Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
  4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I usually get Martin's but they were out last time I re- upped. So I grabbed a couple sets of these .... We'll see
    1540067315165.jpg

5. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

Just put these on my parlor. They sound good and seem brighter than the regular.D'Addarios. Kind of expensive at around $11.

[​IMG]

RnR Nolan and Nate D like this.
  6. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Whatever you try, give them a week before writing them off.

I've used Elixirs on all my acoustics for many years now. While they may not sound quite as good as an uncoated set do for the first few days, they certainly sound a lot better at 3 months than an uncoated set do at 3 months!

7. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Almost two months in with the Martin lifespans. Sound crisp, clean and bright still. Give them a try! I've put them on my 000x1ae and I play that a lot, still holds up. But I clean them also after every set.

Nate D likes this.
  8. Beargod

Beargod Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Arlington, TX
    I have always used dean Markley's, but none of the shops around me have been stocking them for the last couple of years. I have been going with the Earthwound strings, they do the job. I just wanted to try something different, so I put elixir polys on. I decided they weren't for me after I broke 2 strings in a week. It had been at least ten years since I've broken a string at all prior to that. Now I'm trying out a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze that are still sounding good to me after several weeks. They are a bit brighter and seem louder than other light gauge strings that I've used before but that could be because of the brightness making them seem louder. Still not sure if I'm going back to the Earthwound strings after this set has run out of life.

Nate D and elduderinoTF like this.
  9. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I actually like to use electric strings on acoustic. I like the sound.

fattboyzz and Nate D like this.
  10. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    Good ol ej-16's.

Nate D likes this.
  11. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    Different guitars sound different with different strings. With my Martin 00-15M, I started with Elixr Nanoweb PBs and then moved to Martin Retros, which were incredible on that all mahogany guitar. On various parlors, I stuck with Elixrs. I recently went all carbon fiber with an Emerald X20 and an older model Emerald X7. I'm liking the Martin Retros on the X20, trying them on the smaller X7 but may also try the Elixrs on the X7 before I know what sounds best on that guitar...

StevieMar and Nate D like this.
  12. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i like Daddario flatwound 13s

Nate D likes this.
  13. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Strat-Talker

Mar 29, 2017
    Texas
    IMG_20181020_172621.jpg
    I always end up goin' back to Ernie Ball. Try a set.

Beargod and Nate D like this.
  14. Bazz Jass

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Hey, great guitars aren't they! I've always had and loved nice Martin guitars, and I bought one of these **entry level** models when I started getting a whole bunch of acoustic gigs a few years back, and I needed something sturdy (i.e. laminated!!) with a pickup. Well, maybe it's the cheapest Martin 000 you can buy, but it sounds and plays like a million bucks. It's not only my gigging guitar - I take it to the beach, away on holiday. An excellent utilitarian machine :)

Guy Named Sue and Nate D like this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.

I do this as well and really like the bluesy sound ,as well as easy bends and vibrato on multiple strings.

1540079542182-1123761915.jpg

ProSonicLive and Nate D like this.
  16. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I think I’m going to check out the d’addario .010’s

Thanks everyone!!

371477DC-D66F-436B-AD30-3D85311B9D32.jpeg

17. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I think I may have tried everything available on my Santa Cruz D/PW dreadnaught. These are my favorite:

[​IMG]

Of all places, Amazon.com has the best price on these.

Nate D likes this.
  18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I pick up my acoustic about once every 3 or 4 months so honestly I have no clue what is on there.

Nate D likes this.
  19. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Yes they are, quickly became my main gig too. You actually helped convincing me to buy this, when I was researching it I found a few posts from you recommending it:).

Is yours the one with 1 3/4 nut too? It fits me great, I plays a lot of fingerpicking these days.

Nate D likes this.
  20. Bazz Jass

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    I don't recall if it's 3/4 or 11/16, but regardless, it's very comfortable to play.

I f I could make any comment about these "lesser" models, the unfinished top does make them very susceptible to humidity changes. They absolutely don't like the damp!! I keep a truss rod tool in my case at all times as I often need to adjust the neck to account for dry or damp conditions (not what you're supposed to do I know, but a darn site easier than carrying a bunch of different height saddles around with me!!)

Fiji anyone?

2013-07-22 10.18.20.jpg

Attached Files:

gwjensen, Guy Named Sue and Nate D like this.