Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by andyfr, Oct 9, 2017.

1. andyfr

andyfr New Member!

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Like the quote Silvercrow! I certainly do remember that show with David Carradine.

fattboyzz and Silvercrow like this.

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    A poster on the wall of our rehearsal studio reads:

"
    As a band member, my most important job is to help make everyone else sound their best. What's your job?"

Gene

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Anchoring, IMO, is a part-time thing. Freedom of movement is where it's at. ;)

henderman, Ebidis and andyfr like this.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Like this, you mean?

Hairy Bear and fezz parka like this.

5. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Strat-O-Master

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    You could just deck the tremolo until your technique improves by tightening the springs, or better still treat it as feedback, at some point you’ll get it right and you won’t sent the pitch wonky and you’ll keep repeating that until you always get it right

6. fezz parka

Just one of many excellent examples! :D

7. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Another thing I do is to strum forward of the pickups. This takes the bridge out of the scene. I don't use the tremolo all the time. But I like the idea that its there for me.

andyfr likes this.

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Way to go! Good luck!

9. fezz parka

Muting, fingerpickin' and playin' without an anchor:

Ebidis, CigBurn and montemerrick like this.

10. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

that was cool. deep wide river of technique in under 2 minutes!

Ebidis and fezz parka like this.

11. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Generally the way my forearm rests on the guitar is what I see as my most consistent locating device.

Groovey likes this.

12. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i tend to curl my hand around the back of the bridge on my tele and around the pins on my acoustic... but it doesn't really stay there... it wanders...

13. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I'd just keep at it. You'll find a way to play intune. My right hands does stuff I never realized it was doing. All the string muting and yes it rests on the bridge at times... but it all seemed to come naturally without me thinking about it much... so just keep playing!

fezz parka likes this.

14. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

I suggest you deck it... you're technique (what you are recalling of it from the past) is obviously rooted in a "Fixed Bridge" approach... you're more accustomed to resting your palm/wrist on the bridge... I'm thinking you prob played a lot of acoustic and if you had an electric guitar is was maybe a Les Pual, SG, Tele or some other type of stop tailpiece/fixed bridge design..

It's easy enough to deck the bridge... no need to block or anything... simply tighten the screws until the bridge lies flat on the top and then go one more crank to keep it from moving and you're done..

Granted, it can change the setup from where it is right now but, it won't knock anything too far out of whack from where it is right now (if it knocks anything out at all... it may not)... If you decide to do this just make sure you count how many turns you applied to each screw to deck it (write that down)... if you really don't like it or it feels really weird or whatever, you can back out the screws to where they were before and you'll be back where you were when you started..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    dante1963 likes this.

15. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    If you get used to playing with your hand in only one place, you're limiting yourself to the sounds that can be produced at that place. The guitar makes lots of different sounds - get used to them all. Spend six months playing with your hand on the bridge. Six months with your pinky anchored. Six months doing fingertapping exercises with your right hand on the fretboard. Why limit yourself?

16. TheToneBoyar

TheToneBoyar Strat-Talk Member

Oct 11, 2017
    NYC
    It seems that you've got a floating trem, there, friend.

My advice, if you don't know how to set up a guitar, is to take this thing to a professional and ask them for a setup. Specify that you want the bridge flush with the body. You won't have any more problems with the pitch changing when you rest your hand on the bridge.

dante1963 likes this.

17. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    I'd say, learn how to play your Strat in it's natural state - free floating.

Most Strats in the wild are not decked (really, the only place I ever hear about decking is here). If one decked Strat comes through the shop in a year, that would be a busy year for decking.

So if you go to a party and you grab a Strat to impress the girls, 99% chance it will be free floating.

If you go to GC and want to try some different models, they will be free floating.

If you need to borrow a Strat at a gig because yours is broken, it's going to be free floating.

If you go into a studio and want to lay a few tracks with their 1960 house Strat, it will be free floating.

To survive outside of your bedroom as a Strat player, you need to be able to play a regular Strat.

I always rest my palm on the bridge so I can speed-pick while muting. I just rest it, not press down hard enough to change the pitch.

It might take you a week to master the above. Then you are ready to go out into the world.

fattboyzz, andyfr and Groovey like this.

18. Sangetsu

Sangetsu New Member!

Oct 6, 2017
    Tokyo
    Playing rhythm is different from playing solos and such. For the latter playing you need to plant your hand in some way. Most people plant their hand on the bridge, while some use a finger. When I first started playing I didn't plant my hand, which was fine for strumming and slow picking. But to pick at any decent speed accurately, I found that planting my palm on the bridge helped a lot.

Doing it correctly (so it doesn't mute the strings) takes only a little practice. My hand has worn away the metal plating on the bridges of some of my guitars. I play a few different guitars, with different kinds of bridges and pickups, but I have been able to adapt to them all.

There is a pretty good video on Youtube, a comparison between the Jazzmaster, Jaguar, and Mustang, the guy who does the comparison has a pretty good hand placement technique.

19. fezz parka

Uh...no. You don't need to. You can choose to. But its not necessary.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I never think about what my right hand is doing anymore. It just automatically does what it needs to do, and if it does something that doesn't work, it takes only a second to register and for me to adjust accordingly.

I think that's the point we all want/need to get to. As always, the way one does it, is not the only way. :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    fattboyzz likes this.