Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What angle should I set a Floyd Rose on a Strat?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by TLstrat, Jan 12, 2018.

1. TLstrat

TLstrat Strat-Talk Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Hey. I'm trying to setup my Floyd Rose Classic Strat. I know they say for my Lo-Pro Edge Ibanez to set it parallel, but I can't find an exact answer for my Strat.

I don't think the routing enables it to go very deep into the body (I don't remember, though, because I didn't play it for several years), so perhaps I should leave it slightly pulled towards the strings?

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    All FR's should ideally sit level to the body. This is the way the knife-edges were designed to sit against the posts.

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody

4. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    OK, I'll try that.

By the way, the string blocks (those cubes you put into the saddles) – what direction should they be put? With the dent made for the screw pressing on them being lower or higher?

After one of the saddles had its regular string block stuck inside it, I bought an upgraded set of titanium blocks that are supposed to be resistant against cracking and expanding inside of the saddles. But I had to fix something with the low E and saw that the titanium block there got a bit deformed by the screw, after placing it with the dent on the lower side.

So A. Should the blocks actually be put with the dent upside?
    B. Is it reasonable the flat section of the titanium block got dented by the screw?

5. sam_in_cali

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I'm going from memory here but I believe the string block indents usually face down and toward the lock screw so the lock screw tip fits into the indent (see pic). If you are deforming the blocks (especially the titanium ones!) you are using way too much torque on the screws. You only have to snug those lock screws and the string should not slip out.
    Capture.JPG

6. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Is there any chance it changes between the saddles?

I put them facing down because that's how it was on the previous set of blocks, but I can definitely see with this low E saddle that the block goes pretty deep inside and only when the dent is on the upper side the screw fits into it...

And regarding the dent - I was actually trying to put the string back in after it popped out. I did use the same strings from before I upgraded the blocks (because they were new Elixirs and I didn't want to waste the set), so perhaps I didn't manage to push the already-cut string deep enough into the saddle, but it didn't hold the string well whatever the cause.

I still can't see how is the titanium block getting deformed/chipped away like that by the (steel?) screw... I don't think I even used that much force. I turn it until it's showing resistance and then another quarter of a turn.

7. sam_in_cali

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Ya, that's strange. Have you compared the original blocks against the replacement/titanium ones? I would assume they would be the same spec-wise aside from the material. FWIW, I'm not a big fan of reusing strings on FR setups for that exact reason you mentioned; the string is already deformed and the chances of it slipping out due to poor contact is greater. But I have done it before in a pinch.

8. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    I already threw the old blocks away, but I looked before and it seemed the same. Maybe the thread of the screw got inserted at a wrong angle into the saddle somehow?

Anyway, here's a photo showing the saddles. You can notice how the blocks sit at different depths inside the saddles.

I still wonder if the titanium blocks should physically be able to get deformed like this by the screws. If it happened, what stops it from expanding like the regular blocks and getting stuck?

Attached Files:

9. sam_in_cali

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    The block depths shouldn't be any concern; the important thing is that there is good contact on both side of the strings. I am curious however if your intonation is correct, specifically on the G string since it seems to sit pretty far back and appears to be riding up a little against that angled part on the back of the FR. Its not a concern if your intonation is correct, just something worth looking at.

10. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    They do seem like a concern to me regarding what part of the block is the screw touching. The blocks should all be of the same size, so that means the depth of the saddles is different. I don't know why is that, but I know the saddles are not identical. Thus, maybe it's a misconception that you need to have all block holes on the lower side.

Regarding the intonation and the G saddle - that was the saddle I had to replace after a regular type block got stuck in it. I didn't set the intonation yet and just put the saddle when string changing without finetuning it yet.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

11. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    OK, I think I have just found the source of this anomaly, which I didn't notice earlier.

First, I believe I managed to get the intonation and the angle of the bridge pretty correct. But I now looked from the side and saw that the block in the low E saddle actually goes through the saddle and sits on the bridge itself; I think it also makes the saddle sit a bit higher from the base of the bridge, but perhaps that's how it always sits. I assume the brass plate that's supposed to be at the bottom of the saddle got dislodged somehow - it possibly already came like this from the previous owner.

This is something that should ideally be fixed - by yet again buying a way-too-expensive replacement saddle, but I'm really not willing to order and wait for another one (with additional shipping fees) and then waste another set of strings as reusing the same string seems to not hold well.

Do you think it's OK to leave it like this? I've been fixing this guitar with the intention of selling it afterwards.
    I can notify any potential buyer of the issue and that the block there should currently be inserted upside down, and then if they're willing they can get a replacement saddle and make this easy fix themselves, but I wasted plenty of time on getting it seriously cleaned-up, replacing a bad tuner (had to buy a whole set), replacing the G saddle and getting the titanium blocks... So having this stupid issue still there is quite annoying.

I also noticed that while the rest of the saddle pairs (A&B, D&G) hold the blocks at almost the same heights - it's still not completely identical. That makes me think that perhaps some of the other brass plates started moving out of their place as well.