Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What are your favorite strings for Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bighump, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:14 PM.

1. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talk Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Louisiana
    I am looking to get everyones opinion on what their favorite strings are for Stratocaster. Currently my MIM has Vintage Jumbo frets and I am almost always making my notes sharp with my 9-42 strings. I try not to fret too hard but I just have a mean grip when I play. I have tried other strats with different fret types, like the Jeff Beck Strat and the american professional strats, and like their frets better as they are not as large. So with that said whats your favorite strings that you like to use? I have tried Ernie Ball 10-46 strings and they sound stale after about a week or so. A friend recommend the 52-10, anyone have experience with those?

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I like the EB Slinky 10-48s. They do corrode after a month or three, but I haven't seen any reason to try other brands. Plus, they're cheap here (the equivalent of 6$) while everything else runs for 10$ upwards.

If you find the strings to sound stale, using the same make of string in a different gauge will sound stale as well.

I do have NYXLs on my Gretsch and it sounds stellar, but then again it always has.
    I don't play it as much though, so idk if the strings still being like new says anything...

Bighump likes this.

3. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I use d'addario exl110 10-46... $5 a pack

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Curt Mangan 10-46 flatwound, tuned down a whole step.

Ditchgator and Bighump like this.

5. Marcoroni

Marcoroni Strat-Talk Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Southwest Arkansas
    Ernie Ball cobalt... .11-.48

They are little bit more expensive, but they last a long time, and I like their sound. They’re quite bright, so that may turn some people off. Definitely my go-to strings.

Bighump and CephasG like this.

6. Syd Vega

Syd Vega Strat-Talk Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Germany
    Reinforced Ernies 10-46.

Bighump likes this.

7. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46 is what I used for years. On occasion D'Addario 10-something will get into the mix. I prefer EB. They seem consistent.

Beargod, Bighump and BallisticSquid like this.

8. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2012
    Earlville, IL 60518
    D'Addario NYXL wound strings seem to last longer than any I have tried. Ernie Balls don't get along with my body chemistry at all. Sound good, but dead, playing out of tune in a week or so, and I wipe them thoroughly after each playing session. I don't really see much difference in plain strings. I usually change the plains 2 or three times before the NYXLs go bad. Just about any brand of plain. I currently use Curt Mangan plain, NYXL wound,
    12, 16, 22w, 29, 39, 52. Kind regards to all.

Bighump likes this.

9. Syd Vega

Syd Vega Strat-Talk Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Germany
    Reinforced Ernies 10-46.

Bighump likes this.

10. Blues Man

Blues Man Strat-Talker

Feb 7, 2018
    USA
    I've used a lot of Ernie Ball strings

Slinky Nickel
    Cobalt
    Paradigm

I usually play 10s

My next string change is going to be to DR Pure Blues Nickels

Bighump likes this.

11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    No matter what string I use, my corrosive sweat makes them start sounding dull in no time. So I'm changing strings every 3 to 4 weeks anyway.

I use EB regular slinky's (10-46 lime green package). I buy 'em in quantity...between 6 to 12 packs at a time, which is usually $4 and change per pack.

I tried Daddario XLs and I didn't like the feel of the wound strings.

Bighump likes this.

12. evangilder

evangilder Strat-Talk Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Ventura, California
    I use D'Addario 10s on my electrics (11s on my Gretsch Electromatics). For my acoustics, I have been using the Elixir 12s, but have been thinking about trying to D'Addario Phosphor Bronze coated strings.

coloradojeff likes this.

13. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    I still prefer EB slinky nines, used 9/42 pretty much all my playing life, can't find a reason to change

owenmoney likes this.

14. CarbonCanyon

CarbonCanyon Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Mt. Rainier
    Ernie ball 10-46 RnR nickel. 2251.
    Bit mellower than normal slinkies and sound great with single coils. Use on my strats and tele. Also used DR nickel but switched back to EB. By the case they're cheeaaap.

15. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talk Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Louisiana
    Anyone have issues using the regular slinky or super slinky on jumbo frets? I might need to tone down my grip but then i cant get the notes out right. Thanks for all the input guys.

16. Ditchgator

Ditchgator Strat-Talker

Nov 18, 2015
    Los Alamos, New Mexico
    Perspiration & acidity levels.
    Mileage.All factors.:thumb::cool:
    Curt Magnan nickelwound, regular 10-46.

17. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talk Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Nenc
    Eb regular slinky for years. Started buying them years ago because they had cool stickers in the pack when I was a kid. Now I’m pushing 50

Steven1145 and arcticstrat like this.

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yup. 10's for the Strats and Teles, 11's for the Gretsches so they have roughly similar tension. The Guild still wears 10's though, it just sort of felt right on that particular guitar.
    All D’Addario.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 10:20 PM
    evangilder, coloradojeff and apm1991 like this.

19. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    If you like the guitar and want to keep it, then take it to a pro luthier to have them fix/adjust the nut/frets/setup etc etc etc.

I had the exact issue with my Les Paul. I wanted to use 9's as 10's were too hard to bend for my small fingers. Notes were sharp and the guitar went out of tune etc etc.

The luthier installed a bone nut, and worked on the frets etc etc.

It now plays well, no issues with tuning or going sharp regardless of pressure I use.
    Took me 4 years and 3 other crappy "luthiers" to find the right guy.

I actually installed 10's which did solve a lot of the issues (Maybe 90%). BUT I did not want to use 10's.

Bighump likes this.