Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What do you guys know about Don Grosh S-Types?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Dewey, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2010
    Bellingham, Wa.
    Hi you guys I bought a Don Grosh Retro Strat. It hasn't arrived yet. I am wondering if you guys can weigh in about Don and his guitars? Thanks!

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Groshs are very well thought of - always mentioned right up there with Suhr and Anderson. Grosh doesn't make nearly as many as Anderson per year these days so you don't hear as much about them. I've owned 2 of them - I just never did get along with his neck carves but they were very nice guitars. One was a real looker - a quilted maple top over a mahogany body - but it was kind of blah tone-wise despite having HSS Fralin pickups; the other was just a plain sunburst alder Strat, and it had their in-house "60s-style" pickups which were sonically great but I again ran into their neck carve not working for me. Both of them were full C shapes - pretty similar to the shape Fender is now using on the American Professionals but with a vintage-style 1.650" nut width.

Both of these were from well before he started making them with the normal-dimension Strat body; his original "Retro Classic" body shape is kind of thinned-down from a normal Strat. Same length and depth as a Strat body, but a little narrower when measured across the body with thinner/pointier horns.

When Don Grosh was starting out he worked for Valley Arts Guitars (right before Samick took them over) building necks. He was based in California for years, but moved to Colorado in the mid/late 2000s to escape California's EPA rules on nitro finishes.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Dewey and abnormaltoy like this.

3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    I know this guy makes his Grosh sound good.

Dewey likes this.

4. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    A good friend of mine was the bass player for a power trio in St. Louis called "Mississippi Fever." Their guitar player played a Grosh Strat-Style guitar with a very cool finish, and with Lindy Fralin pickups. He ran it straight into a tweed clone he built--either a Bassman clone or a Tweed Twin clone--can't remember which.

I saw them dozens of times before my friend Ted unfortunately passed away last year.

I can say that of all the blues bands I've heard in St. Louis over the years, Mississippi Fever had the best guitar tone. Just a killer sound. Of course, how much was the guitar, how much was the amp, and how much was Brent (the guitar player), could be the subject of much debate.

Still, killer tone, and it was a beautiful guitar.

Dewey likes this.

5. Dewey

Mar 2, 2010
    Bellingham, Wa.
    Thanks very much for the info John C! This Grosh is a 2002 Retro Classic with a 10" radius neck and some kind of Fralin's. Brazillian fretboard.

6. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    That should be a nice one - Fralins were their go-to pickups until they started winding their own around 2008/2009 and 10" was their standard radius (and my still be their standard radius). It will probably have the Kluson-style Gotoh locking tuners as well.

Dewey likes this.

7. Dewey

Mar 2, 2010
    Bellingham, Wa.
    Right on, that's good to know. The guitar will probably arrive today sometime. It's Fiesta Red. :)