Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What happened to this forum?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by TSims1, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:41 AM.

1. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I try to stay away from the negative threads and tend to ignore or block the haters. Compared to most other places, this is a church.

2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    No excuses! Just pick up your guitar and play

abnormaltoy and Strat Jacket like this.

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Stay around please. Even on a forum I've learned from you

4. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

May 12, 2008
    Canada
    When I left the FDP, I joined Talk Stratocaster. Within a couple of months, that forum disappeared, so I joined Strat Talk. It seemed okay for a few months, and then it started to really go sour......A lot of meaness, unkindness, and general pettiness. I left the forum and joined AxeTalk. I stayed away from Strat Talk for two years, and when I decided to visit here again, I found that the mods had cleaned the place up. Over the last couple of years, this is a much improved atmosphere, so I visit regularly now and occasionally participate. I think the forum management is doing a good job.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    It'd be cool if it were that simple.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    abnormaltoy and Bob the builder like this.

6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Of course it does. Intelligent, enlightened persons want to associate with others who express themselves in a respectful manner, despite perhaps having differing views of the world.

But there are, unfortunately, those who view respect and kindness as a weakness to be exploited and bullied.

Look at it like this for a moment...
    At least here, with the stroke of your finger, you can make them go away.

Ahh, but that we could accomplish the same out in the real world! Alas, all we can do is give them the stroke of a finger and move on.

At least here, that finger has real results.

7. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    We always have a choice. I can choose not to participate. I use to participate more...not so much now.

8. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA
    When I first joined there were several unsavory folks that I just avoided and they ultimately got tossed off the board...but in my overall perspective has been very positive...have met some truly fine people I call friends and have been able to put together a few really cool jams with some of you fine Strat Talkers...these days I don't post much...a random pic or 2 or a recent show or such but not a lot more to say these days...

9. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    We all start off new here, and the only cure for that condition is to keep posting. ;)

There are so many posts coming in as a write, I can't really keep up! I'm not ignoring anyone!

@TSims1, you have a valid perspective and there probably has been a slight slip in the levels of courtesy and consideration that made S-T such a great place to hang out and exchange ideas. But that's only on some threads. It we think of S-T as a 'cyber-town' that is growing, there are bound to be a few neighborhoods and some citizens we don't much care for, but that's not really a reason to move to another town, or stay home with the blinds down.

Let us hope that those of us who try to keep the tone civil and the atmosphere supportive have a positive effect on those who come here brutalized by other sites where disrespect and snarky posts are the norm.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That's certainly true, too. There have been times in the past where it's gotten really bad. We're actually in something of a nastiness lull I think, so I'm curious what it was specifically that Tony found off-putting. That would almost certainly go south though, so it's probably best not to air it out.

Mansonienne and abnormaltoy like this.

11. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

Oh man...are you passing out waders with that load? :)

T Guitar Floyd, mshivy and fattboyzz like this.

12. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

As a former Corvette restorer

[​IMG]

Mansonienne and abnormaltoy like this.

13. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I don't think anything's happened. All internet forums are basically the same. This happens to be random collection of people who happen to own guitars who otherwise have nothing in particular in common. We're many and varied.

14. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I understand that, as someone who also no longer takes part. It's not that I can't be bothered, but I've got about 20 songs to learn by 10 November, and I've finally got the green light on restoring and mixing the best out of 20 NAB reels of tape. In fact I should n't really be posting this! Procrastination is what it's called. :whistling:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM

15. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Humm! Took a while to read the whole thing... but I did.

First @TSims1 your one of the best players on this forum. I have not a doubt in my mind with any decent guitar, a Tubescreamer and a working amp you can SMASH the place! Your skill and knowledge is always welcome. And honestly I miss it.

Has the forum changed? It could have but I don’t think so. Maybe I just don’t see it. The topic of so many threads just don’t interest me anymore. After 8 years being here every day... it has got old. I still interact with people I’ve come to know and share interests with. But for the most part I keep to myself. I help when I can and move on if I can’t.

Our Forum is still a wonderful place. It goes off the rails a little at times. But that usually gets shut down PDQ. But if there is a mean streak running through the Forum I guess it’s unfortunately a by product our environment at this time.

This is still the best forum I’ve ever seen on line... it’s the good people like you that make it that way. So don’t let the few bad or actually misguided people ruin it for you.

Shake a Leg Dawg!

16. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I think the important lesson here is this:
    Stick to your guns, and stick around.
    In the past, I've let certain personality types drive me away from a forum I enjoyed participating on; either by directly attacking me or by spreading bad mojo throughout the entire forum. Look at it this way; when a new bad neighbor moves into your neighborhood, first instinct would be to pull up stakes and get out of Dodge...to avoid the negativity or behaviors associated with them.
    From experience, that's the wrong approach. Deal with the negativity in a positive light. If that's unsuccessful, contact the person directly via pm and explain your position and reasoning. If that doesn't work, you know what the REPORT button is for. This is your forum as well as anybody else's.

17. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    I just don't see it...not on a forum wide scale. I do see this one always being "on guard" against what that one says...and visa versa. but, in general this is one of the two most civilized forums I know of...and of those two, this is tops. Like @mshivy (and others?) said, it's hard for mere mortals to convey the right emotion in a post and it's easy to misread something. Generally, I take issues with anyone into the PM area to clarify a misunderstanding.

But, in general, the net has made it easier for people to be rude...the safety of anonymity might, on occasion, make one "bolder"...since the risk of physical retribution is removed. That might also be a result of increased urbanization. People live with the stress of being stacked upon each other like boxes in a warehouse.

My two cents.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM

18. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Didn't George invent something like that, I believe it was the man bra?

Cerb, Strat Jacket and abnormaltoy like this.

19. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Very good point. The mods can't be everywhere, so as good citizens, we should help them by Reporting posts that have really crossed the line. That's what really keeps the place clean.

Obviously, I'm talking about seriously unacceptable posts, by people intent on souring a thread, not the occasional comment that may have only been intended as flippant humor.

20. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talk Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Midland TX
    I get what you’re saying...but people in general are meaner, uglier, less refined, ill-mannered, or so it seems. So many seem so pissed off about something or other, so many others just have to be right, regardless of whether they are or not.

I’m not overly active on any musical forums anymore...mainly for this reason. Regardless of topic, there’s always someone who thinks they know better. Stating opinions as fact. Life is aggravating enough without internet warriors and geniuses

That said, this place seems to be one of the more laid back, put your feet up and chat spots around.