Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What Hard Case?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Baker69, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Baker69

Baker69 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK
    Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to the Forum and this is my first posting!

I'm also new to Strats and I pick up my very first one on Saturday, it's one of the last Fender American Standard Strats in the shop and it's a Black SSS Strat with a Maple neck and Custom 50's and aged pickup covers.

According to the store's web site the description for the Strat says it should have an SKB case but the guy at the store has said that it comes with the black Fender Tolex case (the one with the chrome Fender logo)?

Firstly, is this correct or should it have an SKB case??

If I do get to have the choice between the 2 cases which would be the better one to have, the SKB or the Tolex-covered Hard Case?

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    RolandDeschain and shadoogie like this.

2. shadoogie

shadoogie Strat-O-Master

Jun 16, 2012
    Slough, UK
    I dont know about the cases but you have bought a beautiful Strat...one of the best. It sounds like it is of the original design from the 50s. Dont spoil it by adding extra super duper pick ups or rewiring it to your own spec......Fender know what they are doing.

3. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    I'd rather have the one with the Fender logo really. I have SKB hard cases too and they are fine but the Fender logo one seems like a better match.. Just sayin....

4. Baker69

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK
    Hi Shadoogie,

Yes I'm really looking forward to getting it! I was considering a MIM but I got the MIA at a really good price. Looks superb! The stock pickups are brilliant, I don't think I would change a thing on it, it is spot-on as it is , beautifully set-up too!

I will post some photos when I get it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

5. Baker69

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK
    Thanks for your advice rudos1, I must admit the black Tolex case does look very nice!

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Both are good cases, if you plan on flying with your guitar the SKB is more rugged.

Guy Named Sue likes this.

7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Hi welcome to the forum! The case you got is actually more expensive than the SKB, i don't know why they switched. Congratulations on the guitar and hey it's yours do whatever you want with it!:thumb:

Take care
    Joel

8. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Okay, here's what Fender did with cases for the 2008-2016 American Standards:

2008-middle of 2013: the SKB molded case
    middle 2013-middle/late 2014: the Pro Series black tolex case with the large chrome Fender amp logo
    middle/late 2014 - end of model: Fender red-handled molded case with black lining (Roadrunner cases?)

I had 2 2013 American Standards - a Strat that was from the Guitar Center FSR run in Sonic Blue (they also had surf green and shell pink) that was shipped out in late June of that year and it came in the Pro Series case. I also had a Tele that was shipped out in early May 2013 and it had the SKB case. The Pro Series cases are made-in-Vietnam and are sort-of cheap copies of the G&G tolex cases - they look like a center pocket case but in reality they have 2 tiny compartments on either side of a groove for the neck. The case I had was kind of loose; you could hear the guitar neck slide around in that "groove" when you picked up the case to carry the guitar around. I wound up stuffing some old t-shirts around the body to keep it from moving around whenever I carried it somewhere. Based on other peoples posts it was kind of luck of the draw about how loose/tight the black tolex Pro Series cases are - some have no problems at all, but others have the same issue that I had with mine. I will also note that I've never heard of the Pro Series tweed cases having this looseness issue.

During the transition in 2013 you would find American Standards with the SKB, guitars with the Pro Series case, and occasionally some with the G&G "standard" case (the one with the black lining, side pocket, and the only the small logo plate under the handle), and even a few shipped out in the red-handled molded case (but those mostly went outside the USA in 2013). The red-handled case was the one that replaced the SKB case for the American Deluxes at the same time the Pro Series replaced the SKB cases for the American Standards).

When Fender brought out the American Standard HH Strat and HH Tele in early 2014 they were shipped in the red-handled molded cases; over the course 2014 they phased out the Pro Series for the rest of the American Standard models and started using the red-handled case for all of them.

Actually that is wrong; some HH models came in the red-handled case but others came in the Pro Series case - Fender was really random about this in 2014, and the Pro Series cases still show up on American Standards into 2015 - again, kind of random, but most 2015-2016 American Standards have the red-handled case. Also I think the red-handled case is from Gator cases, not Roadrunner like I posted above.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

9. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    The case your getting is nice. I bought the SKB case for flying. Its nothing special.

10. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Jun 20, 2016
    The Hinterlands, USA
    Does it look like this?

case.jpg

amstratnut and Robins like this.

11. Baker69

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK

Wow, that's very informative John, thanks very much for that very interesting history on Fender cases.

The Black Tolex-covered Case that I will be getting with mine (tomorrow!) Mine has a Black handle though, it is as per the 2014 Pro Series model you describe, might be different options here in the UK?

From what everyone is saying I think the Tolex one is the one to go for as I won't be travelling overseas with it.

12. John C

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    There could be different options there in the UK - as I say my Strat with the Pro Series case was an FSR (for the color) that was done for Guitar Center/Musician's Friend here in the USA, but it was also done for someone in Europe (or maybe just the UK - Anderton's maybe?) and those in the UK got the red-handled plastic case.

The Pro Series case does have a black handle in case my post was confusing. Here is the Pro Series case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the nicer Fender G&G Standard case (this one is sometimes subbed in if they are out of the other less expensive cases, but is typically only available as an aftermarket accessory):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just to confuse things further Fender has a "Deluxe G&G case" that also comes in black, and has the Fender amp logo on the lid like the Pro Series case, but they would have the red/orange interior (like a late 1960s case or a 1970s case):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stratistically and vid1900 like this.

13. Baker69

Oct 3, 2017
    England UK

Hi John, thanks for the pics.

Yes, it's deffo the Pro Series case that it comes with.

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I prefer the skb style just for its lighter weight.

Never had a problem with either.

Yellowdawg likes this.

15. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    If it isn't the G&G version of the case and it's the Pro case, I would rather have the SKB.

16. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house

17. stevel

stevel Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2011
    here
    I have about 4 Tolex cases, 2 G&G, 2 red handle SKB and 2 older (black handle) SKB. Every one of the 4 Tolex cases I have does not hold the guitar securely. You can hear the guitar shift inside the case when you move it from a flat position to a carrying position. I folded a microfiber towel to fit over the neck and that stops it from moving. But imo, you shouldn't have to do such a thing. I would NEVER buy one of those cases again. The G&G cases are very well made but heavy. The red handled SKB case is the best one IMO because it holds a Strat very securely and is also very light. It also has a deeper pocket for the headstock than the older SKB which is important if you use locking tuners.

18. John C

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Totally agree - the G&G cases are cool, but the molded cases are more practical.

I think the red-handled ones were Gator cases instead of SKB like the older black handled cases. I also think the current molded case they used on both American Elites and American Professionals is also a Gator case. I think that is true; plus you can still get the old-style case from SKB - it just has an SKB logo where the Fender logo used to be.

stevel likes this.

19. stevel

stevel Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2011
    here
    John C: I saw some pictures of a Gator Strat case that looks exactly the same as the red handled one Fender was selling. Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know Gator made such nice Strat cases.

20. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Blues and Country pick'n Strat-Talk Supporter

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    The Fender logo case probably has a better accessories compartment that locks down so items don’t rattle around. That would be the deciding factor for me.