Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What have you Bass'd today?

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by Dan_Q, Nov 26, 2016.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    Sure! That's what I did because I didn't know what gauge mine were either.

Dan_Q likes this.

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2015
    phoenix
    My latest bass build:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about getting those Dr Strings neon white strings for it. We'll see.

3. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    very nice indeed! is that based on a 4004?

mapleglo likes this.

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2015
    phoenix
    Thanks! Yes, 33.25" scale, Ric pickup positions, controls are volume and blend. Hipshot tuners and Babicz solo rail bridges. I wound the pickups myself, installed into Ric pickup covers. It's become my main player.

Dan_Q likes this.

5. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Actually spent a couple hours with my bottom feeders yesterday. Finally got a clean recording of a bass line I wrote for an original. Used my Rivoli (EA 260) with tapes and a piece of sponge under the strings played over the frets with the sides of my fingers. Was going for an upright jazz sound, the line I wrote is a lot like that style, and I nailed it!

Kept it out and used a felt pick I'd gotten a few months ago. Switched to my acoustic amp (Peavey e-coustic 112) so I could enjoy the smooth deep creaminess of the felt pick on those strings. FOOM

While it was out I ran through all the songs I'd use it on, Dazed and Confused, Seven Nation Army and the Barney Miller Theme (usually play my jazz on that one).

So, got out the jazz, played that, American Band and did some slap and pop funk stuff (inspired by the bridge in A.B.).

As long as I had the bass gear out, I strapped on my Affinity P (tapewounds with SD QP) and rocked some Longview, My City was Gone and Superstition.

Dan_Q likes this.

6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I haven't played my bass today but was just thinking that the bass line to Cortez The Killer would be fun to play...

Dan_Q likes this.

7. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Sounds awesome jay, very productive interesting how you've got the tone you require. Also, Longview is still one of my favourites!
    I'll have to look that one up Manson but I empathise- it's great when you hear a groove and think "I'd like to replicate that!" I'm terrible and tend to forget when I pick up my bass
    Not much movement my end- nailed the sheeran line and learning to fly nearly nailed- need to listen to ever long a bit before tackling it, as I'm not familiar with the song. I'll be set bass wise for next jam then.
    Kit wise I may start researching bigger amps, but main priority is perhaps swapping the pickup cover out on my ric- I seem to be clanking strings into it when I get giddy, which is no good! Will also drop my encore into a shop and get some strings for it if I get a chance

8. ripgtr

ripgtr Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    Did yesterday. Laid down some practice tracks to practice pedal steel with, put a bass line on.
    It came out well.

Hash McBrown and Dan_Q like this.

9. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

Or perhaps Dear Prudence! I saw a cover band once play this, and the bass player didn't do the slide bit. That's the song!!!

My next gear choice will be a matching Rumble, so I can play stereo.

Mansonienne likes this.

10. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Did this one a couple of days ago, but forgot to post it here:
    Desert Sand

Ambient Prog 'Flippertronix' style piece with Duo-Sonic in NST
    and Precision bass.

11. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks Dan_Q. I learned Longview from ultimateguitar.com TABS. Not that difficult, unless I try and sing with it.

Also, should have said Slow Ride instead of American Band.

Dan_Q likes this.

12. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    I must sort a phone where I can watch / listen to these clips dogletnoir I'm sure it's great!
    I was practicing last night and the vibration has returned in my encore p bass I've gone around it again with a screwdriver but can't find anything- and I think I can hear it coming through the amp this time- aaaaarrrggghhhhh!

13. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Well, I've done some more work on the encore P with a few pointers from bass players.
    [​IMG]
    It turns out that something trussrod related is vibrating inside the neck. The tighter it's set, the less the vibration it is but it is still there.
    I've nipped it up as far as I can with a neck shin and action set to get it playable again, but it's days are numbered unfortunately
    I think it's time to start thinking about the next step.

Mansonienne likes this.

14. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Bought a set of Hofner teacup knobs to make my Hofner a little bit more like Sir Paul's workhorse.:)
    DSCN5001.JPG

15. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    oooooh!!!!! very pretty and sexy!!

mapleglo likes this.

16. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    this is a great thread because it makes me think "I should go practice my bass!!!" In fact, I may just go do that right now!

17. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Had my first lesson in three weeks, just worked on a chord progression. After arpeggios my teacher started to teach me to slap but realized my bass isn't set up for slap...sooo...one of these days I'll just have to get another bass!;)

18. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Ha ha! GAS again
    Sounds like you're getting along nicely, as for slap- wow I've never even considered it. Looks hard!?

Mansonienne likes this.

19. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Well, if all goes to plan, I should have a case for my other bass next week. Then I need to either adapt my style (or actually find one!) or change the pickup ring so I don't keep jabbing the d and g strings into it. Then my basses will swap homes and I'll keep an eye out for a replacement p bass or neck

Hash McBrown and Mansonienne like this.

20. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa