Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What is soloing? Episode 2

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by Omar, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:58 AM.

1. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    I misunderstood your previous comment. I still have the same old problem where I can't stop myself at a specific note to end a phrase, I just just carry on :D I need to hold my horses at certain times. Timing is important of course, I guess I'm doing okay and can follow the beat. Maybe insufficient time spent to listen to music - blues and other genres - is one of many reasons I'm unable to create something, because I have nothing in mind to imitate. I should start spending more time listening to nothing but blues, maybe limit myself to the Kings. (@conehead Thank you for the advice :))

I thought learning song's solo would limit me to music with same characteristics, I should try learning some. At least of the songs I like and listen to frequently.

Thank you :) I sometimes come up with okayish phrases but then I mess them up with extra notes. Phrasing is what I need to work on harder.

Thank you, Kelly. You have always been of great help :) You're right, creativity is a skill within oneself, it can't be taught, but I'm sure there are guidelines that help you unleashing creativity hidden inside.

Giving up isn't an option, never was and never will be. I'm sure I'll get better :) I don't mind hating my playing after being able to make nice phrases :D

Thank you :) I will look up some simple blues licks.

I can play triads as @fezz parka taught me. I practice triads up and down in C and G. I assume arpeggios are the same as playing triads? Even if I play triads over chord progression, I don't seem to make them sound good. Thanks for the video, it is interesting :)

Thank you, David. After reading everyone's comments, I realized how important is listening to music of the style I like. I have the basics, I need to use them now.

Thank you, Chris :) I'll practice both carefully tonight.

I like the idea, nice explanation. You're a good teacher ;)

davidKOS and heltershelton like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Nice to see Robert again, he taught me a few things when I used to talk to him on the FDP forum quite a few years ago. Top chap.

dogletnoir likes this.

3. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    He's on fb.

4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Not at all. A common theme through these posts is listening and learning music that has already been written.

It can be REALLY inspiring to learn music you really enjoy listening to, music that grabs you. In doing so, you will see and hear things you wouldn't have thought of on your own...you learn what's possible. Dissect it to understand what it is that makes it unique and what makes it work. And don't stop there...try to make it your own and put your stamp on it. To a certain extent, that last part happens on its own.

There are players that never bothered learning other's music when they were learning...Steve Vai immediately comes to mind. Then he went and transcribed Frank Zappa's music catalog. Not all of us can be Steve Vai :).

5. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you so much Kelly, I’ll work on it!

It looks like the time to learn the solos of Hey Joe and Cocaine has come! I really was afraid to come near them because of my limited experience in techniques. I think I should overcome my fears and start acquiring new techniques.

dogletnoir, heltershelton and Cerb like this.

6. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I am a fan of learning all the chords their forms and inversions within a scale and practicing those chords and inversions using the cycle of 4ths as a melodic practicing tool.

I am not a fan of playing scales in octaves once the scale form has already been memorized and learned. Playing scales up and down the fret board and applying formulae to soloing instead of learning the chord forms is how you get a bunch of mindless noodling instead of a memorable solo. Its also wasted practice time. Sure we all marvel at Michael Angelo Batio but none of us want to play like him.

Anything you can learn from Mr. 335 is the ****. Used to be out here you could not land any gig unless you could play the 'Kid Charlemagne' solo.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

7. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    This is a great discussion topic Omar!

A friend gave me a list of musical ideas, a check list of things you can employ to make your ideas more developed. There are countless things you can do to make a musical phrase out of a scale. This list is just a few things to consider to help you get those creative juices flowing.

1. Play from the Major Scale
    2. Play arpeggios
    3. Play modes
    4. Play using alternate "scales" (whole/half, half/whole, diminished, etc...)
    5. Play moving in stepwise motion
    6. Play moving chromatically
    7. Play in wider intervals (3rds, 4ths, etc...)
    8. Play more than one note at a time (3rds, 4ths, Octaves...)

9. Solo in chords (playing 3 or 4 notes at a time)
    10. Vary the rhythm: that is play whole notes, 1/2 notes, 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes
    11. Develop a theme; so start just playing a couple of notes and let them ring out- then slowly add more notes with greater speed
    12. Resolve your music phrases: the beginning and the end of your musical ideas are the most important.
    13. Actively listen to music- so make sure you take time and listen to songs and really focus on the music. Listen to how many times the chords change, count the bars, listen to what the other instruments are playing, etc...
    14. Transcribe solos you like

From what's been said so far, I thought the ideas in bold might help you with where you're at... Anyway hope it helps.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 7:07 PM
    davidKOS, Dick Blackmore and Omar like this.

8. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    so, its bad to practice technique......got it!

Dick Blackmore, fezz parka and Omar like this.

9. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Its ok to practice technique as long as you are doing it musically. Running a scale straight up and down is not musical. Those are my opinions, grounded in actually playing in bands. If YOU want to run scales up and down the neck in 3 note per string octaves that is your prerogative. I think it's a waste of time.

Furthermore if you do what I say you ought to be doing your technique will be exponentially superior to scale running dude.

Omar and heltershelton like this.

10. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you for your reply. Practicing scales has helped me memorizing fretboard. I know it’s not enough to make something muscical, I consider it a map that shows me all possible ways to reach my destination (notes).

Learning chords in all shapes is cool. While I practice scales I also practice triads within the scale and position. It requires more practice to be able to jump from chord to another.

Thank you, great notes to follow :)

5. You mean one string scale?
    8. Like chords? Or 1,3 or 1,5?

When ascending bend to G from F or Eb? I guess F, because from Eb is two whole notes. Just wanted to make sure.

mjark likes this.

11. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    5. You mean one string scale?
    It doesn't have to be on one string, but that is one way to do it. I mean to simply ascend up or descend down the major scale in order. You can do this on any amount of strings you feel like. You are simply playing notes from the major scale in the order they occur.
    For example, if you are play in the key of C Major and you strike an A note, you would next play a B, then a C, then a D and so on... You are playing notes from the major scale in order, without adding any accidentals or skipping any notes.

8. Like chords? Or 1,3 or 1,5?
    Yes, like chords. My teacher would've said that two notes is not technically a chord, but a fragment of a chord. You don't need to restrict yourself to chord tones.

This is a one bar riff you could play over an E major chord. It uses 4ths and 3rds. To keep it simple, just play this as all 1/4 notes

e--14---12---------------|----------
    b--14---12---14---12---|--9------
    g--------------13---11---|--9-----
    d--------------------------|--------
    a--------------------------|--------
    E--------------------------|--------

Here's another example of a one measure riff you could play over an E Major chord. It utilizes 6ths, 4ths, tri-tone, and 5ths. This one leaves the open E string droning, while you ascend chromatically on the G string. To keep it simple play this as all 1/4 notes.

e---0---------0---0---0---|
    b--------------------------|
    g--(0)-h-1---2---3---4---|
    d--------------------------|
    a--------------------------|
    E--------------------------|

Omar likes this.