Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What is your favourite platform to sell your vintage gear?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Mipstoo, Jan 23, 2018.

What is your favourite platform to sell your vintage gear?

1. Reverb.com

2. Local Graigslist

3. Dealer

4. Ebay

5. other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-O-Master

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    So, lately I've been thinking about selling some vintage gear. I don't know what yet, but some of it isn't being used (enough) and it's a shame that it's not being played because that's what it is made for. I'm not only talking about guitars, but I have also way too much amps, effects and other gear and parts.

Now, what do you think is the best way to sell it? I'm in Europe, and have tried to sell a vintage tweed deluxe on a local graigslist-kind-of site, but the interest is low and I'm getting ridiculous offers.

What would be your approach? I've not yet tried Reverb and Ebay has pretty high fees compared to years ago. Also shipping an amp is not an easy thing to do. Dealers are an option but consignment is often not promoted and if they buy, it will be for less than the market price.

So, if you had to choose, what would be your preferred method of selling gear. I know multiple platforms are better, but I want to know what has worked for you the most in the past.

2. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    Selling gear?! The horror. :eek:

Mipstoo likes this.

3. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-O-Master

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I know...
    But I don't want to open a second Nerdville and the guitar is made for playing and not for gathering dust. I can't afford a dedicated housekeeper just for my stuff, my wife would kill me...

4. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    It completely depends on what the gear is, and where you live.

Mipstoo likes this.

5. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-O-Master

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    It’s like I said in my initial post, vintage gear like guitars (they sell fast), amps, effects. And like said, I’m in Europe, mainland

6. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    Elderly Instruments sold a 53 D28 on consignment for me many years ago. They were excellent. I'd tried Ebay and was getting low-ball offers etc.

A "good" shop is worth the commission they charge...

Mipstoo and Folk_Hogan like this.

7. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    I use ebay for the vintage items I sold and all my other gear as well. I feel more buyers are looking on that platform than reverb.

As long as your ebay listing is listed in the Musical Instruments & Gear > Guitars & Basses category

The fees are 3.5% of the total amount of sale

Maximum fee is $350

Fees are the exact same as reverb.

I mainly use paypal for accepting payment. Every now again you will find a buyer willing to purchase through wire transfer ( very rare). If the transaction is over 10k you will have to invoice the buyer through paypal independently using two separate invoices.

I don’t need a dealer to assist with advertising or selling gear for me. I have found you will cast a wider net with ebay and get the most profit for your gear. Selling locally is a joke and in most cases plan on giving your items away for next to nothing based on my experience.

Amps are a pain to ship however. Pack your own stuff and always have signature confirmation on anything over 750 USD. I also use an image host to provide more than 12 pictures and describe items in detail. I have completed several off ebay sales from my listings also but you have to be careful on how you exchange your contact information. Ebay has gotten strict on this.

One thing that stinks is, if your ebay account is new payments can be placed on hold. This is ebays policy- holds stay on until 7 days after the estimated delivery date or 3 days after confirmed delivery. If there's a problem or a case after the delivery, another hold will be placed until the case is resolved.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Michelotti and Mipstoo like this.

8. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Ah, good 'ol Elderly Instruments. I would pop my head in there about once a month when I was living in Lansing. To me they were just another mom and pop shop, but with a lot of really cool vintage stuff. It wasn't until I moved out of town, actually out of the country, that I realized how famous they both nationally and internationally.

Bazz Jass and Mipstoo like this.

9. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    I've used ebay a couple of times. Fees are a bit steep. I hate shipping expensive heavy items so only do buyer collects. As I live fairly centrally in the UK and travel a bit I find I can hook up with the buyer ok. It may restrict the market somewhat so I'll never know if I could have got a bit more if I shipped.

What about trying to sell through this site? Anyone got experience of that?

Just sold 7 mainly 70s guitars on behalf of an estate to a dealer - got about 60% of what I estimated retail sales price would be which I thought was fair allowing for tax overheads and margin.

Good luck:D.

10. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    I’ve successfully sold a few items on commission through a vintage dealer’s shop.
    But some commission sellers in the U.K. had big problems, a few years ago, recovering their instruments and amps from a vintage shop that ceased trading.
    So it’s not a risk-free approach...

11. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker Gold Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Milano, Italy
    I have used Reverb to buy only and Ebay to sell. Ebay works fine, but I have almost always ended the transaction off Ebay (as per buyers' request).
    I guess Ebay has a wider public. You might try with small things to start with, maybe effects, and see how it goes.

Mipstoo likes this.

12. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Shifting transactions off eBay can be a bit dodgy because you then lose both buyers and sellers protection. Also if eBay get wind of it, you could have your account suspended.

I always offer to pay cash on collection when buying, as the seller then saves the PayPal fees, but of course they still have to pay the eBay commission.

13. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

I've no interest in dealing with...
    People.
    I don't want to dicker, talk, bargain, argue, sell, negotiate...none of it. When I get around to parting with stuff, I lput it on consignment with a shop. They get paid to take the headache so I don't have to.

14. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    When I sold off a bunch of my stuff it was Ebay . Put a reserve on it at the lowest price you are willing to let it go for and let them bid away . I haven't sold anything on there for a while so things may have changed but I did quite well on there . Craigslist sucks for selling high dollar items in my area .......

15. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair

16. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2016
    The Crossroads
    I prefer reverb over eBay.... I sent an email to reverb asking how many transactions are needed before I can get some free swag..... I've done almost 20k in transactions in the last year and a half.... they got back to me within an hour and told me that they will be sending me a package full of goodies! You don't get that kinda stuff anywhere else, reverb rocks!

Paperback Rocker likes this.