Join Strat-Talk Today

What klon style pedal?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by guitarface, May 4, 2019.

1. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

what are you using and are you satisfied?

2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i do not know if my original zen drive is a klon type or not but i want to point out that in front of some amps it makes magic with no effort and in front of other amps it gets turned off and taken from the board.

mshivy and guitarface like this.
  3. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Zendrive isn’t a Klon Klone - but it’s an awesome sought after pedal for sure. When I bought a new amp I had to spend time re-dialing mine in to fit the amps character. Small turns on each knob can make a big difference with the zen and there’s a lot of variables. I had to go back and start with volume at 12, gain at 9 tone at zero and voice at 10. The. Dial in tone and voice to taste slowly. The voice and tone are interactive with each other so it takes some patience

henderman likes this.
  4. EC Strat-boy

I used a Sugar drive and it was pretty sweet (no pun) Tumnus is a good one too.

Stratbats likes this.
  5. arithon

arithon Strat-O-Master

EH Soul Food. Satisfied? It's a pretty good pedal I'd say. Never used the real McCoy so I'm not sure how it rates compared to the OG.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

Like @arithon

Impressions on my SF (which, it seems, could also be applied generally to the Klon family):
    - It’s a perfect clean boost pedal just to take your volume up (current use on my pedalboard)
    - With low gain and a big volume push, it's great before a cranked amp (rarely happens to me…) or to further boost another OD – best pedal I tried in this application
    - It does not sound good as a self-standing “dirt” pedal into a clean amp, unless you use it with gain pretty down just to add a bit of sweetness to the sound … in this application it is great, too.

Of course, much depends on the amp you’re plugging in. Fender amps should be good.

mshivy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  7. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talker

Maxon OD820 suppose to be a Klon killer. Similar topology with mix of dry / wet and its priced better

ilikeoverdrive likes this.
  8. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

thanks for the clarification on the style of overdrive.

the guy i bought the pedal from included a detailed "dial in" process which explained to me the voice and tone are interactive with each other like you stated.

but most of my gear gets set to a "suggested setting" - so i know i need to develop my ear for gear better.

9. 33db

33db Strat-Talker

I have a Klon KTR, but I have never unpacked it or used it.
    I did use the Rimrock Mythical OD, it's good, and I have a Klon model in the Helix that I like a lot.

ajb1965 likes this.
  10. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

The KTR is great, the archer sligthly more compressed but very good, the tumnus is boomier and bassier but excellent. I prefer not to use a klone and use instead the keeley oxblood for boost and mild OD .

This my personal wisdom on the subject after flipping 30 pedals and spending too much time and money on this question.

Nate D, mshivy and EC Strat-boy like this.
  11. EC Strat-boy

After I bought a tweed vibrolux clone - I found that I prefer how it sounds without a transparent drive and less pedals. Never have had an amp this nice

jasoncobb85 likes this.
  12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

13. ilikeoverdrive

ilikeoverdrive Strat-Talk Member

Seconding that Maxon OD820, a great boost/overdrive indeed with much transparency and volume on tap!

14. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

I have a Soul Food and it works quite well. I use it mostly as a “cleanish” boost and don’t use it’s drive that much. The only problem I have had is that it tends to “pop” when first engaged.

It’s an affordable way to see if a Klon style pedal will work for you before buying an expensive one. It might be all you need.

Here is a link to a comparison video of Klon style pedals, including the SF that might be of help.

15. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

JHS Klone... I had a KTR but I sold it a while back. I’ve had the JHS a long time and I preferred it over the KTR.

Stratoskater and mshivy like this.
  16. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

A little something for you.. If you pop the back off the soulfood you'll see this inside. The red arrow is pointing at a switch that changes from buffered to bypass. Switching to buffered eliminates the pop many people experience. Try it, see if it works for you.

sfs.jpg

That said.. sometimes I really like the SF, other times I pull it from the board in disgust. I'm a fickle little flower in the garden of life.

gwjensen, ajb1965, RadioFM74 and 4 others like this.
  17. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that. Mine goes on and off as my board as well.

18. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Strat-Talker

EH Soul Food. Once I got it my search ended.

Grux likes this.
  19. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

The Chellee Ponyboy is a klone, runs about $120

I'm not in a position to really recommend pedals now as I ain't played in a band setting in many moons. But just because there is hype for something doesn't mean you will love it (or even prefer it.)
    There's so many OD pedals around today it's ridiculous.
    It's almost like there are too many choices, you can drive yourself crazy.
    Good luck whatever you decide, I'd say try as many as possible before you buy

gwjensen and JustABluesGuy like this.
  20. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

For what it’s worth I’ve owned the soul food, KTR, Tummnus Deluxe, Sugar Drive, Mythical OD, Centura, and RYRA and a friend has an actual silver Klon and the only ones that come really close to sounding like the real Klon are the KTR, mythical OD, Centura and RYRA. The sugar drive and Tummnus get pretty close and sound good but the soul food is not at all close to the real klon at least to my ears when playing them side by side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.