Join Strat-Talk Today

what specs for my laptop

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Yves, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Hello,
    Just before Xmas my laptop died.
    I need to find a laptop that will satisfy my daughter's gaming and my guitar recording.
    I will not buy Apple.
    So what should I go with in terms of specs?
    • Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor
    • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB
    • Full HD display
    My daughter plays relatively simple games online "I think...ROBLOX". She's got her XBOX as well but needs Windows 10 for school homework.

I want to make sure that I get a machine that will handle a music software for recording my guitar work. I don't do effects very much at all, pretty basic recordings I imagine. A mic to capture the sound of the amp via the interface.

Are the above specs an over-kill or just about right or will they be out of the race in 2 years from now?
    Any suggestions?

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks like your asking the wrong people. Just don't get an hp,
    I hate the garbage they make.

3. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

I have never regretted over-buying, but I have too often regretted under-buying. So now I over-buy and I don’t worry about it.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

That should be fine, specs haven't really changed much at all for years, compared to how they used to.

Dang, my garbage is doing just fine...

Omar, jrbirdman and Yves like this.
  5. Yves

So you do home recording and have strong views regarding hp, I suppose based on past experience.
    I take from you therefore to stay away from hp. So that's good, you confirmed my thoughts.
    So why d'you say I ask the wrong pple here?

6. Yves

AAAaaahhhh! @Thrup'ny Bit to the rescue!!
    Thanks for chipping in.
    I have an old hp notebook which works amazingly well! I don't do any recording with it but it handles everything else very well and the battery life is stunning!

7. Yves

There's stuff around "Hyper-threading technology developed by Intel that creates Virtual Cores from physical ones to share the workload between them".
    Whereas I read an AMD Ryzen, typically CPU for gaming is said to have more "Cores" than I7 cpu, and that may be factor to consider as it may affect how well the Daw will perform.

It's all very confusing to me. But money is tight and I won't be able to buy another laptop for a while, so want to get it right.

@Thrup'ny Bit have you ever worried about those performance aspects?
    It's just that since I'm having to buy a new machine, I want to try my best at getting something that works well for a while.
    Cheers!

8. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Hp makes great products. While we don't user their laptops at work that is only because dell commercial support is awesome. We do use hp desktops, probably around 1,000 of them.

Looks like what you have should be good for a while. The graphics card is outdated, but if your daughter is not playing something like battlefront at 60 fps then it should be fine.

What happened to the old laptop?

Yves likes this.
  9. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I can't give you gaming advice since I'm not a gamer and I haven't kept up with CPU specs. The i7 is a great processor (with higher batter consumption but probably negligible in the grand scheme). AMD has historically made decent CPUs and I used to run them in the past. Like anything, though, it depends on which model you get and what they're designed for.

16GB will certainly be plenty of memory to meet your needs. One thing I'd suggest is a larger hard drive. What format is the drive? 2.5" or m.2? The latter can be screaming fast if you're willing to upgrade. That can be important if you're recording a lot of tracks. I ran into a problem with my drive on a song with about 70 tracks. It couldn't keep up with the disk I/O.

The brand question is the same as the CPU question. It depends. My work laptop is HP and it's fine. If you buy the $400 HP from a big box store it won't be the same quality. Inferior components, probably a plastic case. All of the manufacturers have varying levels of quality. Business laptops typically hold up better.

Yves likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Last I heard, the best thing to do with hyper-threading, was to turn it off. That could have been last week, last year or last century. :D I haven't had an Intel based machine in over 20 years.

I'm running an HP Pavilion with an AMD A8 2.2Ghz APU with 8GB RAM that I picked up used, for a sensible price. It does everything I want it to do, handles Reaper and recording easily. I don't play any games, other than Diablo II from nearly 20 years ago, when I'm bullied into it by the grandkids...

My last machine was a budget Toshiba bought new in 2012, (1.4Ghz Dual Core + 8GB Windows 7) that did much the same until late last summer.

Yves likes this.
  11. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

HP is fine.

For more power, look up Republic of Gamers (ASUS) machines, you can't go wrong.

Yves likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

I'd just look at what's the best deal for the budget you have and go with that. It's pretty much like buying a new fridge or freezer these days.

Yves likes this.
  13. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

Those are good specs for a lappy, look for thunderbolt 3 ports and USB 3, or if you wait, USB4 (fast as or faster than TB3)
    I use as Lenovo Thinkpad P71 and it runs everything fine, and I use a lot of softsynths, it's built like a tank too.
    Check out their P and X series laptops.
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/think

Yves and Robins like this.
  14. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

That Laptop will be good for the next coming years.
    Sure it is overkill for the games your daughter is playing but for sure she can use it for gaming a few years.
    Yes, you could safe some money buying a lower specced but not by a lot.
    Full HD is good enough you don´t need a true 4k just because you will and can add a HDMI big screen for proper recording and editing.
    I like the Lenovo Thinkpad quality and displays. Maybe worth taking a look through the different models and checking out their stuff.

All the best,
    Robin

Yves likes this.
  15. nederemer

Make sure you are buying at least a quad core processor btw.

33db and Yves like this.
  16. Yves

Good stuff! keep them coming.
    I'm having a SRV trip and downed too many beers already to make sense of all your inputs now.
    But will go through it all later.
    Many thanks!!

duzie and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

What broke on the old laptop?
    If the hard drive went bad or corrupted, buy a new solid state drive replacement and install
    Ubuntustudio.org, includes software for office, music, art. Several DAWs in there.

Check out these programs (they run on both Windows and Linux)
    Libreoffice (loads and saves MS Office files for schoolwork, but outputs direct to pdf too)
    gimp
    inkscape
    Audacity recording
    hydrogen drum machine

Check out this page for alternatives
    https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Yves likes this.
  18. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

So you need a computer for the 2 hardest tasks - Gaming and Multitrack Recording.

Probably safest to get a Gaming Laptop.

Also, if you get a 17" screen, the laptop will have 2 internal hardrives.

Your drive 0 (zero) should be a SSD - those are solid state drives, crazy fast, very durable in a portable environment. Drive 1 (one) could be a lager conventional drive for storing all your songs/games.

Here is one for $999

17" screen
    Gforce GTX 1060 6 gig ram video
    2 hard drives 256 SSD, 2tb conventional.
    32 gigs of ram
    2 USB3, 1 USB-C

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWE...28632042332840399792&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Yves likes this.
  19. nederemer

This would be what I would do. Though be advised I have had to entirely dismantle laptops to replace a disc drive that includes removing the keyboard. Also, be aware that unless your laptop was running Windows 8 or newer you will need the operating system disc. Or at least the product key. It is possible to download the installation software and put it on a flash drive if you have one large enough but you still need the key to activate it. On versions of Windows 8 and newer the product key is embedded into the BIOS so you don't need to enter it.

Yves likes this.
  20. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Reaper is available in Linux, Windows and macOS versions (although the Linux is described as an 'experimental build'). IMO, Reaper gets close to a big budget DAW like Logic or Reason, whereas Audacity isn't really up there. OK, Reaper costs $60 for a non-commercial license, but it's really well developed and supported.

I haven't used a laptop in years, but I can attest to the power of the mighty i7 processor! I can run 32 tracks of audio, and stacks of plug-ins, without fear.

CigBurn, Thrup'ny Bit and Yves like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.