Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What was your big change in musical awareness?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jan 10, 2019.

1. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    when someone introduced me to theory and explained i could stop dragging my knuckles if i wanted to

gwjensen, Yves, tery and 2 others like this.
  2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA

Not saying this was the only pivotal moment, but when I got my first cassette recorder in the 70s and realized I could record my own stuff...

...oh yeah, and the Beatles...

2F1EA07A-7A61-43FA-9E6F-54DBD9BD5F03.jpeg

Deathray, T Bone Slort, Yves and 2 others like this.
  3. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Learning how to harmonize a scale and hearing Blues for the first time. One about 40 years before the other.

Mansonienne likes this.
  4. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

77' I was a huge Kiss fan, Kiss alive ii came out and we thought it was all that, early 78' Van Halen 1 came out and we never listened to kiss again.

Textele and Yves like this.
  5. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    The first time I heard Saratoga Swing (1931) by Duke Ellington.
    It opened a new world for me, one that I frequent often.

6. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Canada
    Probably The Song Remains The Same.

Mansonienne and amstratnut like this.
  7. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    The Everly Brothers I guess ?

AxemanVR likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    I was nine years old the first time I heard Queen. That was it for me.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hendrix single “Crosstown traffic”
    BTO not fragile album
    Beatles Sgt Peppers and Let it be
    KISS destroyer

Those were the formulative albums that directed my musical journey. Diversity but kool.

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I was driving down the road (a little baked) in Seattle in about '95 and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" came on the radio. I had never REALLY LISTENED to it before, although I had of course heard it.

I drove directly to a CD shop, bought "Let It Bleed", and my life was forever changed. I have the Let It Bleed tattoo to back that up.

Mansonienne and xland like this.
  11. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    I've got a few, but hearing the Doors blasted in an old Buick, seeing the pavement flash by through the holes in the floorboards after leaving an arcade in Michigan at about 12 years old was cool, man. Break on through!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Deathray and Yves like this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

The moment I realized that I was playing what was written on the staff paper as I was reading it...at tempo.

It just happened...

Yves likes this.
  13. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Took me a while but once I could really hear and appreciate John Coltrane's Africa/Brass studio album, it felt as if I had unlocked a door and a whole new musical dimension revealed itself to me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    808K and Stark like this.
  14. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My second big bang occurred while listening to Echoes for the first time. I had no idea music like that could exist.

15. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    When I was a kid my dad (who also played trumpet in our family band) absolutely loved Herb Alpert. I had no idea what I was listening to, but I fell totally IN LOVE with that stuff, even before I could even play anything. This is "Taste of Honey"... just great:

And then when I was 13, I heard Eruption for the first time.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  16. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    THREE "items"

Mom and I sat down to watch Ed Sullivan..."ladies and Gentlemen...THE BEATLES!" I was trippin' (as much as an elementary school kid can...)

SECONDLY: Mom wants to expand my horizons, buys Stones' singles "The Last Time" and "Play With Fire" TRIPPIN agin!

FINALLY: 9th grade, leafy green vegetable matter and someone turned on "All Along The Watchtower" full tilt. I WAS trippin'! W O W!

Brian

Deathray and Stark like this.
  17. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    The first big change was hearing Hendrix for the first time when I was 10. That's what got me into guitar. The second big change was about 6 years later, when I was given a copy of Death Individual Thought Patterns. My head literally exploded.

Dick Blackmore likes this.
  18. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    November 1984:
    Age 14—I saw the original New York Dolls with Johnny Thunders in a “glam rock” documentary on PBS....

June 1985:
    Age 15—Got Memphis brand copy of Les Paul TV Jr, Peavey Classic 50, Big Muff Pi and old grey Echoplex at A&A Pawnbrokers in Oakland (my brother drove me) with money from bagging groceries at Pacific Super Asian market in San Francisco.

March 1986:
    Age 16—used the power of singing and playing loud fast rock ‘n roll in a band onstage to steal the heart of the girl I loved

October 1989:
    Age 19—Met Johnny Thunders while I was stuffed full of hard drugs. He sized me up in a second, told me to “stay away from that business,” gave me a hug and went away

August 1990:
    Age 20—Saw and met Albert King....went shopping for a Flying V the next day.

August 1991
    Age 21—Saw Miles Davis at JVC Jazz Festival at Concord Pavilion and snuck backstage. I was too scared to meet him but I did look him in the eyes.

He passed away a month later.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    images.jpeg

amstratnut, Yves and Stark like this.
  20. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    1980. Dave Edmunds, my favourite, was touring with Nick Lowe in Rockpile, & I had tickets to two gigs on that tour. The support act was unknown American band The Fabulous Thunderbirds with a young Jimmie Vaughan on guitar. They walked out, I looked at Jimmie with his 50s clothes & slicked back hair, & reasoned "rockabilly band - that's cool".

But they weren't. They were playing hard edged blues, but blues different to anything else I had heard before. It took me ten minutes to adjust, then I realised how awesome this band was. Then I learned that they were Muddy Waters favourite band (he would go & see them at Antones if he was in Austin), so I reasoned that that proved they musty be good.

The rest is history. Thanks to Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe, I discovered a whole new world of raw & powerful blues. So the widdly widdly SCREEEEECH heavy metal merchants passed me by in the 1980s, something for which I am very grateful. I didn't even learn what "hair metal" (WTF? o_O) was until guitar fora were invented.

Stark, Morf2540 and Jimi Lightning like this.