Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What was your big change in musical awareness?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    When I heard Freebird the first time.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Hearing a bunch of drunk rugby players insist on Freebird being played at every party in my late teens/early 20s convinced me how truly awful it was! The fact that it went on for three hours didn't help, but the biggest problem was that these drunken jerks caused the women to leave the party.

I once watched the only small group of girls leave a party when the "rugby geezers" insisted on Freebird being played so they could "dance" with each other. Weird. o_O

I could understand it if they were all gay, but they would probably have strangled anyone who suggested that they were. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Nick Evans likes this.
  3. dippah

dippah Strat-Talk Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Croatia
    Watching the VHS of Queen's Live at Wembley '86 for the first time. Before that, I loved music and I loved Queen, but this concert made something click in my head, and I felt, for the first time, that I was beginning to understand what music was all about.

Paperback Rocker and Nick Evans like this.
  4. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    England
    When I started learning music properly, and not just a guitar player. I started to understand certain chord changes and why a musician placed a note in a specific spot. This opened my mind up about all music and not just guitar based.

Most of the commercial music of today sucks, but I can pick it and tell you why it sucks. :p

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  5. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    I always thought it was a shame I never learned to play an instrument.

A few years ago I realized that it would always remain a shame unless I actually started...

Mansonienne likes this.
  6. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

There have been several in my 30 years of on-again off-again guitar playing.
    The first was hearing Prince wail on Purple Rain. That's what initially put a guitar in my hands (then I realized I couldn't play like that!)
    The second major change was discovering SRV (and that I could mimic some of that)
    Jump forward many years to the third major change- starting to learn and understand Hendrix's & Cropper's rhythm work (chords and lines intermingled, thumb use, etc.)...
    and more recently, discovering the Hi-Jivers and realizing 50s style rock and blues can be rhythmic, tasteful, simple, and still very exciting to learn and play.

Wish I had experienced those last two much much earlier!

7. Deathray

Deathray Strat-Talk Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Central Illinois
    At the age of 6, hearing my older sister playing the Beatles. A few years later, I discovered the stones. In 1975, I heard the Robin Trower album Bridge of Sighs.
    Game over...
    I also remember begging to stay up, and watch the “Midnight Special”, and “Don Kirschener’s Rock Concert”.

8. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    wrong thread post ...,

9. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    My musical awareness has been more of a gradual upward climb rather than a series of jumps. Every month I know a bit more and appreciate a bit more, and while there are milestones - like, after playing for 20 years it's only in the past year that I've started to "feel" the melodic minor scale while improvising - it's not as if I'm changing gears.

10. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Playing drums in a five piece school band, trad jazz ish. Saw a big band playing Miller, Basie, thatvsort of stuff, grew the five piece to a big band and loved it. Taught me that one if the most important things about playing in a band is to listen, really listen, to everyone else so as to compliment rather than compete.

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    This film is why I started playing. Its still one of my favorite albums.

Ive turned my son on to it as well. How many people have an 18 year old that listens to Dazed and Confused before bed?

13. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Canada
    Cool.:cool: Well I was that 18 yr old too. Still have the vhs I grew up watching!

Mansonienne and amstratnut like this.
  14. NickDG

NickDG Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2015
    California
    I was 13 years old and purchased the Sgt Pepper album the day it came out in 1967. Up until that point music was just background noise to me.

15. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

Probably when I decided kind of late in life that I didn't want to just listen to music but also wanted to play it...

Mansonienne likes this.
  16. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2012
    Atlanta
    Not sure, there may have been more than one.

I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan when I was 4. Probably too young to understand the hoopla, nor grasp what I was seeing. All I can really remember is that my sister (who was probably 6) and I watched on my parents bed, and she got so excited, she started jumping up and down on the bed and then wet her pants.

My father was not amused.

808K likes this.
  17. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    ELP's "Hoedown", early 70's. I'd loved Aaron Copeland's music for a while (Mom was a fan of classical) and I'd just met a now longtime friend. He invited me to his house and I heard my first prog rock there. They had no idea where the music came from and I often brought over my classical LPs so we could listen and compare. He had the coolest hang-out for teen-agers: daylight basement with antique pool table, Wurlitzer jukebox (stuffed with cool 78's), antique Coke machine (working, filled with home-brewed root-beer), etc.

Bob the builder likes this.
  18. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd have to say it was the day I got my first electric guitar. I'd had a cheap Yamaha acoustic and abandoned lessons at 11 or 12, but started playing again my Freshman year of high school. I came home one day to find a guitar and an amp in my bedroom because my dad had accepted it in lieu of money some dude owed him (probably for rent) thinking "Willie would probably like that."

Dad has always been a music guy. I grew up in a house where it was known and reinforced that Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, BB King, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Dorothy Moore, Etta James, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou, Johnny Cash, Creedence, Beatles, Stones, Jimmy Reed, Clapton, Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, Jimmie Rodgers, Mississippi John Hurt, Leon Redbone, the Ventures, and Bonnie Raitt were the pinnacle of cool.

Mom likes the Stones and the girl groups - I think her favorite song of all time might be "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow."

My folks are cool.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. 33db

33db Strat-Talker

Dec 14, 2018
    Earth
    It was an old Plymouth Valiant, my first car, only had an AM radio and it was my first exposure to funk/soul music before that it was strictly Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, etc.
    Turns out I loved the stuff, made me more open to other music as well.

20. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    When it dawned on me that the open D chord could be used anywhere all the way up the neck, and that **thunderbolts and lightning!*** about half the songs I wanted to learn used it! And that, with that one single innovation, suddenly you could play whole entire songs while barely moving your hand. Golly, so THAT'S how they did it.....

trapdoor2 and gwjensen like this.