Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What was your big change in musical awareness?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jan 10, 2019.

1. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    i guess for me it was the first time i heard 'diary of a madman'.

and then one day, i picked up a guitar and could play it.
    Listen to my 2 favorite song intros by heltershelton #np on #SoundCloud

2. 808K

808K Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    Freshman year college, walking up and down the hall, all you would hear in room after room was Born to Run. I liked it, and liked Springsteen’s prior two albums even better. But what excited me was walking into my room and hearing my roommate play the Grateful Dead. Jackstraw and Chinacat Sunflower/I Know You Rider on a warm May afternoon struck the right chord for me and led to many an adventure.

Mansonienne likes this.
  3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Too many to mention... it’s a really long list... but buying the Alamo
    Fury from a guy down the street really sealed the deal I guess. I actually had a guitar even if it was pretty bad. It’s been down hill ever
    since.

4. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2012
    Atlanta
    another change in musical awareness for me

this is a true and funny story but its long so I'll try to abbreviate it.

15 or 16 years old. Had already started learning electric guitar but was also first chair french horn in school orchestra.

The french horn is an instrument designed by satan for the torture of humanity.

I also had braces on my teeth at the time, a horrible combination; the horn requires a serious amount of pressure of the mouthpiece against the lips and it gutted me good; I bled like a stuck pig on many occasions.

Still I soldiered on and did my homework and was one of the better players I guess; the orchestra leader, whom we all called Namor because of his triangular-shaped head, often called on me to solo and show the brass section how the line was supposed to go.

One day I was bleeding pretty bad and I knew the spit valves were full of ick. Unfortunately the leader asked me to solo and I had forgot my handkerchief to empty the valve into... in front of the entire orchestra, I had to open it and blow onto the floor.

Out came this horrific pink slime of blood and spit... the entire orchestra groaned and this cute as heck flute player I had a crush on, FEINTED.

I gave up the orchestra and the horn at the end of the semester and concentrated on guitar from then on.

It sure was a lot easier to get a girlfriend with a guitar, than a french horn.

Mansonienne, dswo and gwjensen like this.
  5. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 16, 2018
    Louisville Kentucky
    3 moments for me:

1 Watching MTV in the 80’s and seeing Pink Floyd’s “On the Turning Away” concert video for the first time - that saved me from the British new wave stuff that was out at the time

2 seeing Jimi Hendrix’s concert video of Live at Monterey - watching him play made me realize what you do on a Guaita is only bound by your own imagination and ability.

3. Hearing Pearl Jam’s “Alive” on the radio for the first time - first time hearing a grunge song and realizing a new movement was in full force and sweeping music

dueducs likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I don't think there ever was one moment. Music has always been around.

Mansonienne likes this.
  7. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I heard The Animals House of The Rising Sun on a mixed tape my parents had when I was 8 or so. That's when I decided to start playing guitar.

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    Lots of moments listening to music, but for playing was after learning how to improvise on saxophone, finding out that guitar was pattern based - that a major scale is shaped the same way no matter what key, you just start on a different fret and therefore that I didn't have to memorize the notes in scale to use it:

[​IMG]

gwjensen likes this.
  9. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

This will help learn if you don't know how

noteflight.com

10. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

^ this ^
    Always listening with Grandma and Mommy to their records from Frankie Deano and Mom's Beatles and Stones Dylan etc. and being in love with Julie Andrews as a 9 year old so I knew every song from Sound Of Music and Mary Poppins then I saw Don Kirschner's Rock Concert shows in late night TV at a young age. the first time I saw Steve Miller I wanted a guitar. Got one at Christmas around 10-11 years old those are my "moments"

Mansonienne likes this.
  11. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

Nice, Kelly!

heltershelton likes this.
  12. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    The first was the Beatles in 1968 when I was eight. My uncle gave me their first two albums.

Second awakening was Black Sabbath 1972 when I was twelve. This one blew my mind!

13. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    My all-time fave Stones album

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  14. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Snap

15. Jesse414

Jesse414 Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Ocean by Jon Butler. Changed me iife forever.:)

dueducs likes this.
  16. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There was before Wheels on the Bus, and after Wheels on the Bus. The wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town. So true!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    T Bone Slort likes this.
  17. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

My Mom loved big band stuff. One day I was listening to some and I remember thinking that some of that would translate to rock pretty easily

T Bone Slort likes this.
  18. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

circles likes this.
  19. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My dad had that album, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the album cover.

But maybe it helped me develop a taste for instrumental music.

Stratoman10 likes this.