Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What Was Your First Guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Synapse2k, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Strat-O-Master

Nov 13, 2015
    USA
    Today, I bought back my first guitar and amp. A Squier Affinity Strat into a Fender Frontman 15g. I'm on a serious nostaglia trip and I really enjoy playing this guitar. So, I guess in some ways this is a NGD thread. I originally had a 1997-1998 Affinity Squier but it looked just like this. When I saw this guitar and amp for sale together, I knew it was my calling. So, here I am right back in 1999 and I am loving it!

That got me wondering - what was your first guitar. Do you still have it? If not, did you ever consider buying it back for old times sake? Please share your stories and pics!

37269f49-48ec-407a-89e1-630d4d077412.jpg

2. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    A "Stella" two color "burst" acoustic, 3/4" action, steel re-enforced neck! You needed steel re-enforced fingers to attempt to play the darn thing!

BUT- I strummed that guitar along to Beatles tunes for about 2 years...never played a chord...just strummed...LOL!

Brian

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    My first electric guitar was a 1976 Fender Mustang with an ash body and solid maple neck.
    That looked just like this one.
    [​IMG]
    I wish I still had it.
    My first Acoustic was an Alvarez Regent 5212 model that I got from a pawn shop.
    Looked just like this one.
    [​IMG]
    Traded it for rent after getting a different guitar.
    And my first bass was a Harmony short scale bass like this one.
    [​IMG]
    Broke the neck on it when I was in college. I actually still have the volume and tone knobs from this one.

4. oldschool

oldschool Strat-Talk Member

May 9, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    My oldest brother went to college and left an Ensenada acoustic, a National Les Paul copy and a huge Magnavox amp at home. All were pretty much low end used, but I played them both until my fingers were raw. Long ago now!

Synapse2k and The Strat Dude like this.

5. Whittler

Whittler Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2013
    Maine
    My first was a 2d hand Silvertone, single cutaway, 2 PU. It was black with gold and silver flecks, it looked like a Gibson LP. Don't remember the amp but it did sound good. I was a Christmas present from my parents and I think it was 1962-63.

Traded it in for a 1963-64 Strat. Boy that was a couple years ago :).

hornpiper and Folk_Hogan like this.

6. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    I had a plywood Kramer.

Synapse2k likes this.

7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Not really mine but my father had a real cheap one that had Ray Mullin on the head stock..that was the name of the music store but they sure didn't make it

8. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati

9. Brat-O-Caster

Brat-O-Caster Strat-Talker

Jan 22, 2018
    New York State
    A Made In America brand spanking new Stratocatser!

Yup, the very first guitar I got, in fact, the very first guitar I ever played was one of the world's greatest guitars. It was a Valentine's Day gift. I got her a box of chocolates, she got me a Fender Stratocaster.

[​IMG]

10. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    My first was a $60 pawn shop acoustic with barbed-wire for strings and action about a half inch off the fretboard. I was 18. And it wouldn't stay in tune either. But I learned enough on that POS to get reasonably proficient at the common open chords (forget about barre chords on that thing though!) and the first position of the minor pentatonic scale, which I used to improvise over records. Once I realized I just sort of had to figure out what key it was in and I could make something that sounded a little bit like music - hell I was off to the races. Then about a year later I got my first electric, a late '60s Fender Mustang that looked pretty much like the one a few posts up, but I don't remember it having a tremolo. Within another year I had the mid-70s Strat and '68 Martin D-28 that I had for the next 30 years or so. So I moved into decent instruments pretty quickly, but that first one was really freakin' awful. But I got started on it - so I owe it that. Any $100 starter guitar you'd find today would be eons better in feel and sound than that thing was...

-Ray

11. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Dental Floss farmer Strat-Talk Supporter

A Hondo strat copy, I would probably never play it but I do wish I still had it. I don't even remember what happened to it.

hornpiper, Synapse2k and Bodean like this.

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    One of these. Yamaha SBG 200. Got it in 1985, still have it, but it has no pickups currently.

iu.jpeg

13. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    A Sears Silvertone acoustic.

14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island

15. anderz

anderz Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2014
    Denmark
    A brand new 1988 Jasmine 6 string acoustic guitar. I still got it but I still do not feel inspired to play it.

My first electric was a Applause stratocaster in black which was in 1991.

16. Rudi

Rudi Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2016
    Brisvegas
    An Orange-Box from Spain. I still have it.

17. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Bob war strings build character.

RJ Squirrel likes this.

18. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    A 1972? Gibson SG Special, when they started making the Special again. Black plasic mini-humbuckers with pole screws. It hung on a music store wall for a couple of years, facing a big West window, before I bought it. The back and sides were the usual cherry finish, but the finish on the front was 100% bleached out and looked like clear over the mahogany. Played jazz and blues on it, mostly.

I *think* I traded it for two early '60s Gibson Melody Makers. One was a refin with a shaved down neck. The other was the most beat up, trashed, totally used up guitar that I've ever played. It still held together, and worked, but was at the end of its life. Both had a nasty, colorless tone, rattled and felt cheap, and were complete junk. I'm amused when I see people paying big bucks to get those qualities.

19. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-Talker

Nov 14, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    BF137601-3059-434A-BCA8-B90A9C613893.jpeg

In 1986, my uncle gave me a 1974 Gibson SG standard that looked just like this. Beautiful instrument but it took me no time at all to discover that I liked the look, feel, playability, and sound of a Strat much more.

20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Me too. Dad bought it when I was pretty young, hoping he or someone in the family would play it. He learned about two chords and never touched it again. I got my start on it. It was the cheapest acoustic they sold. It lasted me a long time, and through quite a bit of abuse, but recently it fell apart so I chucked it. It was really beyond hope, with the top coming loose, the neck bowed, etc.. Sometime in the late '70s, I bought a couple year old Strat and will be keeping it for the long term.

BuckNekkid likes this.