Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What Was Your First Guitar?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Synapse2k, Mar 8, 2018.

1. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    After this quartet played a few tunes on the Ed Sullivan show....I had to have a guitar (just like every other brat of the day)....talked my parents into buying me a Silvertone guitar from Sears, just like SA&W above...

Unfortunately it was a right handed guitar so we had to restring for my left handedness....

To this day...I still got it...though a few years back we put it back to a righty for my son to learn sits proudly on a stand in a humidified room

My first electric guitar was a Fender Mustang....that I would still own today along with a couple of other guitars that went MIA from my parents house...another story for another time....

2. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I El Cabonged mine when I got my first Teisco electric.

3. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

Ibanez "Blazer" Strat Copy... it was a great playing guitar... well made..ash body with a decent clear coat finish... maple neck... it was a pretty cool guitar

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    the first guitar i ever owned was a 1984 gibson les paul studio, but before that i had been playing on a martin acoustic and some sort of a silvertone jazz looking thing.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talker

Dec 16, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    It even had a built-in effects unit...

A little later I earned enough money mowing lawns to buy this one with 6 strings from the Sears Catalog...

I no longer have either of them though.

6. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2017
    Mine was a terrible used Korean Squire...white w/rosewood. Frets that literally cut my hand. I loved the guitar when I got it for I think $80 in 1995.

7. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    I was born in the splendor of the relationships between Cuba and USSR, that's why my name is Andrei and my first guitar was more or less like this: URAL-650-1.jpg

8. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    It's really cool that you still have yours.
    I bet the kid I El Cabonged wishes I still had mine.:sneaky:
    crawdaddy likes this.

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    My first was a Lotus Strat, Metalic silver and I loved it. I could kick my own arse for getting rid of it......

10. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    My first guitar was a Crestwood, much like the guitar in the video except mine had a cherry red sunburst finish with a tortoise shell pick guard. My dad got it for me for Christmas in 1965. I played the hell out of it despite the really high action and difficulty keeping it in tune. Back then even finding electric guitar strings required a trip to town. I made due with Black Diamonds on more than one occasion. I wish that I still had the guitar. I lost it and my first amp in a flood in 1968.
    brians and hornpiper like this.

11. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    My first real guitar was a Squier Strat circa 1984, sunburst with a maple neck and fretboard. People pretend that those guitars are valuable today, but the input for the cord was placed on the pickguard rather than the heel of the body, and even the younger me thought that was a rather cheap compromise. Since Blackmore had already moved on to rosewood fretboards, I didn't have a whole lot of emotional attachment to it when I sold it a couple of years later.

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Very first guitar a 1988 Alvarez Regent 5212 bought new from a store. Thought I'd made a killer deal, included a pressboard case, pitch pipe, "free" $10 strap, "free" beginner's book (Mel Blanc guitar method), extra set of strings and 4 "free" lessons. All for $80 OTD.

Guitar was nice enough, but in a few weeks I had moved beyond open chords. The action up the neck was impossibly high. Asked to have it lowered, thought they'd shave the bottom of the saddle. Instead they cut down the nut and had to dial in more relief so it wouldn't buzz. Action at the 12th fret was literally a quarter inch.

Exactly the opposite of what I wanted.

When I complained the store guy said "Well you didn't spend a lot of money. This Yari is the kind of action you want. We'll give you $20 trade in. Of course when you buy this Yari, you're going to want to buy the card case to protect it." (guitar was not even 2 months old and other than the nut it only had minor playing marks, and thousand dollar Yaris probably didn't come from the factory with cases. Shipped in cardboard boxes)

Needless to say I didn't trade it in and made do with extra light strings (sounded too jangly for a couple days and didn't last very long. I'd get breaks in the windings over the fret wires in a month of playing).

First electric was in late summer of 1994. I'd been invited by my bestfriend from kindergarten to play in the garage band he was putting together with his just graduated from high school neighbor (dumb kid who played an Alvarez Dana Scoop through a Crate stack, and could "rip a big ol' lead" over anything as long as it was in Em).

I had to buy an electric and an amp (that bestfriend would play through) and I'd use his bass rig. Was talking about that at the place I was bartending (Ye Olde Trail Tavern in Yellow Springs, Ohio) when the kitchen manager (local veteran of several metal bands, big following in the 80's) said he was selling some guitar. Two or three hundred each.

We made arrangements to meet at his place, I went there with the cash in my pocket. First guitar I saw was a 1976 Stratocaster hardtail natural. As soon as he opened it I said "Sold!" He said didn't I want to see anything else? I said I'd check them out (but knew it would have to be really spectacular to make me overlook the Stratocaster).

He showed me a bunch of pointy guitars (2 BC Rich Mockingbirds, a Warlock, Charvel- nothing I wanted. It was 1994 and we were going to be covering Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains so I didn't want to have Motley Crue's gear).

I said the Stratocaster was the one I wanted. He said "What did I tell you for price?" I said two to three hundred. He said "Well I guess that one's $300."

After I gave him the cash he said "If you hadn't bought it I was going to have it routed for a Floyd Rose and humbuckers." :eek:

Came with the original hard shell case in good shape. Had a bunch of cheesy stickers on it (skulls, skulls smoking, skull with a top hat and an eyeball with dragon's wings)- those I took off right away, scrubbed to get the residue off but even now I can still see the shadows where they'd been.

Hit a HOME RUN with the electric, and got a base hit and left stranded with the acoustic to use a baseball analogy.
    RJ Squirrel likes this.

13. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

This. A 1967 Federico Garcia (Madrid). Still have it.

hornpiper likes this.

14. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    I had one like that with a painted on pick guard.
    Silvercrow and hornpiper like this.

15. Rudi

Rudi Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2016
    Who is that girl with your guitar ?
    (Never mind, it’s what I got asked a lot.)
    heltershelton likes this.

16. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    that was a painful question im sure.
    Omar, Rudi and craigh like this.

17. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Cheap Teisco copy of Vox Phantom, the neck warped and it was thrown out.
    hornpiper likes this.

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    Another Silvertone acoustic here. My younger brother got it for Christmas around 55 and never really messed with it. He would have been around 4 years old at that time and I was 8. But, in 58 I traded him my fielder's mit for the guitar, and started playing along with American Bandstand. My neighbor would tune it for me every couple of weeks, whether it needed it or not.
    hornpiper likes this.

19. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    BF1C5468-63F5-458D-8D1F-6F28A35C6466.jpeg My first guitar was a Alamo Fury II like this one... $20 used with HSC..
    hornpiper likes this.

20. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Very first was a no name 3/4 size acoustic, given to me by my great aunt and uncle. They played folk and bluegrass, which is where I started.

Once I discoverd Black Sabbath at 14, it was all over for the acoustic.....:D

My first electric was one of these, given to me by a friend. But the bridge was missing, the pickup was dead, and the knobs were missing. Never replaced the knobs, but I made a new, but non-intonatable, bridge bar in shop class(a bar of cold rolled steel with 6 grooves cut in it) and hacked it up to stuff a Gibson style humbucker in it. Crude as my work was back then, it served me in my first band.

hornpiper, bgmacaw and Robins like this.