Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's a pinky?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Doie, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    And a good teacher will make sure you have the mojo set up right.

2. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Don't forget to bring the mojo, so the teach can set it up for you!

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Wellsir,

The key to my enjoyment of Scotch or Irish is to keep it chilled in the freezer and serve it in glass that has been also chilled in the freezer and NO ice! For me, the taste of the melting water of the ice ruins the flavor and the absolute minimum quality, if not an expensive single malt, is Dewars White Label or Chivas Regal. Served in this manner really smoothes out the flavor.

And yeah, Vodka is okay, when the intention is simply to get rapidly hammered with minimal hangover, but I vastly prefer the leisurely journey of gently sipping good Scotch into oblivion! :cool:

Now, how does all this talk of imbibing alcohol fit into the OP's original topics? Well, when I was a younger man, I read that having a few (not a bunch) alcoholic drinks while studying/learning/practicing something can aid in retention of the learned material. This sounded good to me and I quickly embraced the concept! :rolleyes::eek::p;)

Cheers To Ya,
    Gene

Hash McBrown, Mansonienne and Ebidis like this.

4. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Funny... just the other day i was walking down the street and it came into my head
    that the word for the colour pink in french is 'rose', which meant that the literal
    translation of 'Floyd Rose' is actually 'Pink Floyd'.
    This thread, however, has become more Pilk-y than pinky... :)

To the OP, yes, 'pinky' is a term for the little finger.

But not that Littlefinger.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Mansonienne likes this.

5. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    The incredible naiveté, if genuine, is refreshing.

6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    There are plenty of non-American smartasses on here, too! Part of ST’s charm!:p

You think it’s tough figuring out what a pinky is? I had to learn the names of all 4 fingers in French (although index is the same, and pinky is just called quatrième [fourth], the others are the majeur and the annulaire...) plus the names for the notes (do ré mi fa sol la si), sharp (dièze), flat (bémol), third (tièrce), fifth (quinte), scale (gamme)....
    So I have to do all this translation when the teacher asks me to tell him “la quinte de l’accord de Do dièze majeur” or to put “l’annulaire sur la corde de Sol”....It’s getting easier, of course, but it made this American smartass feel a bit thick (dumb).o_O

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    They haven't been since the 1970s, thank goodness.

Mansonienne and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

8. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Works well in chocolate too. Remember this?

Old Jamaica.jpg

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    The Scots (don't ever refer to them as "Scotch"! :eek:) would be horrified to read about you putting your Scotch in any kind of chilling device. That's not the done thing, & it upsets them. Scotch (they believe) should be served at room temperature.

Mind you, straight out of the fridge temperature in many countries could well be very close to room temperature in many parts of Scotland.... :sneaky:

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh lordy yes, I loved that stuff. 10p a bar was expensive though, with 1971 spending money levels as they were...

You sir should be taken out and beaten with both haggis and shillelagh.

StratSounds and heltershelton like this.

11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I worked part time in a sweet shop when I was 14 to 16 & I remember that Old Jamaica was pitched as a premium brand chocolate bar. I wonder why they stopped it?

12. Thrup'ny Bit

I don't know, I used to buy a bar when I got paid for my paper round, at about the same time.

13. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    I do remember that, but on the out of reach shelf along with the Grand Seville it was considered to be adult's chocolate so I never managed to eat much of it. I had to be happy with some Spangles and a Mint Cracknell.

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Grand Seville? I'd forgotten that! Yeah that was the orange flavoured one. Yes they were both marketed at adults, no doubt about that.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

Old English Spangles... :D

What ever happened to Spangles?

16. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    7 pages to go through ?

Ain't no friggin way :eek::eek::eek:

Hash McBrown likes this.

17. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Lot a people here do follow the philosophy of Marxism by that I mean Groucho Marx :D

T Bone Slort and StillAlive&Well like this.

18. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Strat-Talker

Jul 18, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    Before reading this, I never heard the term "pinky" used for the smallest finger. Is that commonly used? Everybody I know calls it "the five." I always assumed that was because it's the fifth finger, but I can't prove that.

Recently, I've also heard a few people call it a "baelish" (I don't know if I spelled that right), but I don't know where that term comes from, either.

19. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Baelish....G.o.T?

20. Artunes

Artunes Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Oshkosh B'Gosh
    Actually, Bud Light and Guinness (the Guinness we get in the USA) both have the same alcohol content, 4.2% ABV. It's a fairly common misconception around here that Guinness has a higher alcohol content.