Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's the right position for "this thing"?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Acme8, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    Well how's that for a thread title? :whistling:

But I mean this:
    IMG_20181202_174411-1455x1864.jpg

I've been tinkering with my strat's setup for the whole weekend. I get the truss rod adjusted pretty nice, string height too kinda, and intonation is pretty spot on. But I couldn't intonate the low-E without loosening those screws on the top of the picture a little, the string lenght adjustment screw ran out before I got there. So by loosening those screws I got the bridge up a little and that gave me a little more "lenght" on that adjustment.

What is a good position for the bridge? Mine was pretty level with the body before the adjustment and now it's slightly raised.

Also, the string height adjustments are pretty high up, as I could not get high fret bends to sound with any lower positioning, is there something to do about that? With a capo at the 1st fret and pressing on the highest fret there's minimal clearance on the 10th fret of the high-E, so doesn't that mean that the neck is adjusted ok?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You should follow some good setup video instructions.....first is how to set up your bridge for floating or decked....that part is up to you....THEN you move onto setup....it seems like you may be chasing your tail at the moment....

FIRST though, I need to know what model of Strat you have! So I can recommend the right videos.....2 point or 6 screw trem etc.....

RobZ69 and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  3. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
  4. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    It's MIM Player. Just a year old.

5. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Okay buddy no problem! First thing first is do you want the tremolo floating or decked? If you use the bar a lot you'd want it floating....here's how to set up for float THEN we'll move onto the truss rod and action height....

After doing this, you will check relief, you should have about .010" or the thickness of a thin business card around frets 7-10 area when using a capo on first fret and pushing down at last fret....

After that then we'll do string height.....

NOW, if you do all of that and find you have a lot of buzzing on notes...it could be this guitar has unlevel frets and needs a level and crown, but we won't know until you do these steps first.....

velvet_man, Mankonis, Omar and 3 others like this.
  6. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    I've actually used just those videos :) except the bridge setup part... I don 't really use the whammy... but what's the alternative to that floating setup?

7. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    If you don't use it you should deck it.....meaning you tighten the trem claw in the back until the bridge rests flat against the body......

But then you have to redo the setup again.....maybe not truss rod but for sure action height and intonation again....

8. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    But when I had it pretty much flat then I had the problem of the intonation adjustments not being adjustable long enough... I think the position of the bridge affects the lenght of the strings a little bit?

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Yes, and that is what's happening. I have seen several MiM Strats that need that 1/8" (.3mm) of float to correctly intonate.

10. Timmy

Timmy Strat-Talker

Oct 30, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Just a quickie. If your strings are old that also can cause intonation issues.

RobZ69 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  11. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Your pickups could be too high, throwing intonation way off.....how high are they?

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    The strings are brand new,and I lowered the pickups all the way before intonating.

13. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Choose tremolo use, or no tremolo use. That will help determine which spot for those screws. Some of those wizards posting setup videos will guide you on the 'how far' to adjust those screws from that perspective.

Word to the wise:
    Do not screw the bridge plate all-the-way to the wood if you're going for the blocked idea. A slight bit of distance/ air space in there will help prevent marring of your guitar's body from that metal bridge plate!

Not sure about any advantage to having on claw screw further in that the other?

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  14. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    When I bought the guitar the other one was even further "off". I don't know why?

15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Without getting into a long dissertation, it's not unusual to need to shorten or even remove the spring on the low E intonation screw. The difficulty you're having seems a bit odd and almost backwards. If you look at it from a geometric perspective, decking the bridge plate to the body usually "lengthens" the strings a tiny bit from being in "floated" position.

Also, which "Player" is that, with a six screw bridge? All the "Player" series appear to have two post units, except for the one with a Floyd Rose. Unless, of course, it's a "Classic Player'50s?"

Just Curious?
    Gene

16. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    The claw screws should be adjusted equally.
    There's no advantage to asymmetrical spring tension.

Acme8 likes this.
  17. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2015
    Central Canada
    did you bought it new or used?
    the bridge screws are different by the low and high E strings and on the B string. the screw heads is flatter than the usual ones on the G, D and A strings

StratusMB and Acme8 like this.
  18. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I cut the spring in half on the low E to allow for more travel

nutball73, carver and Acme8 like this.
  19. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    It's this one https://m.thomann.de/fi/fender_player_series_strat_mn_bk.htm?o=67&search=1543810254 .

And you're right,the pics on the vendor's site do show only two screws?

20. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    I bought it new.