Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's the right position for "this thing"?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Acme8, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    Hmm. I just had the notion that buying a quality brand instrument would get you at least a guitar that won't require a hacksaw to perform adequately? I'm not appreciating much that last comment of your's.

2. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    I've tried it, and I agree. And I run my springs (3) straight, not V-shaped , so that all springs are under (approx) equal tension.

Tone Guru likes this.
  3. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

And no need to have those trem springs like that.

I used to think a V was correct, but now I just use outermost, with a Tremsetter in the middle.

4. StratKhan

StratKhan Strat-Talker

May 27, 2018
    North Carolina
    bstok.png B-stock...product returned by customer

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Idk what's with the screws, but cutting the spring down for the low E is almost an expected part of the first set up. Not a big deal

6. nutball73

nutball73 Strat-O-Master

Nov 12, 2013
    Southern UK
    My advice - ignore all the comments about it being a major problem and sending it back etc.

Just cut down the spring or remove it and the guitar will intonate. We all do it.

Acme8 likes this.
  7. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    OK, I will look into that. Thanks.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Hey @Rufustelestrat
    I think you may be mistaken by thinking that @Acme8 wants to return the guitar. Most suggestions concerning return have come from me. And while the issues are probably able to be dealt with by more experienced folks, the fact that this guitar has obviously been messed with somewhere along the way definitely leaves an inexperienced guy at a disadvantage. Crappy setup on a new guitar is one thing, but mismatched parts is quite another and points to other possible issues that only experienced folks could sort out!

He bought a new guitar and that's what he should have gotten, but did not! It is obviously a repaired or modified guitar! we could speculate all day about what, how and why it's like this, but all that is rather immaterial when he should have received a brand new guitar! I am fairly sure it did leave any Fender factory in it's current state!

I don't often purchase "NEW" guitars, but if I did and had received that one, I'd be all over the vendor like flies and stink on POO!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Even if the bridge screws are not factory issue, they should all be the same.
    Having a mismatched set of screws at the fulcrum point can cause issues with adjustment and uneven wear, for example.

10. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Enough already. The mismatched 6 trem screws may look stupid and I'd replace them just because it would bother me, but it's not necessary. Shorten the spring on the high E saddle and your guitar will be fine. Replace those screws if it bothers you. I'll say I've owned at least 500 Mexican fenders and have never seen mismatched screw on even the most beat up used ones. In my opinion that's a used guitar and someone messed with it for whatever reason.

Acme8 likes this.
  11. PCollen

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida

Disregard: I didn't see that you were referring to bridge saddle intonation screw springs.

Bob the builder likes this.
  12. Lonn

Admin Post
    The little spring between the high E saddle and the trem base is often times too long. Hell most of them could be shorter for that matter. Ever notice that the low E and A springs are shorter than the others? There's a reason why, they need to be closer to the bridge plate.

[​IMG]

Acme8 likes this.
  13. PCollen

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    The CLASSIC PLAYER series have 2-point trems, and I think the new 2018 Player series has them. The Classic series MIMs had 6-screw trems, being a low cost version of the 55s and 62s re-issues.

14. PCollen

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    Before , you said it was a one year old MIM: "It's MIM Player. Just a year old." Was it bought from Fender dealer, hanging on display rack and sold as NEW. Fender Player-series Strats have 2-post tremolo, not 6-screw. That guitar is more than likely a MIM Classic-series strat, or maybe even a just a MIM Standard strat . But....your bridge pickup has beveled magnets, so that is a little confusing on a MIM Strat.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    In post #22, @Acme8 cleared up that it is actually a "Standard Strat."

And @Lonn , you are absolutely right. My main point here was that he paid for a "NEW" guitar and that's what he should have received, "NOT" one that has been obviously messed with and may have other hidden, unforeseen problems that would be difficult for a novice to notice! And FWIW, oversize diameter mounting screws could indeed reposition the bridge slight towards the neck and exacerbate intonation issues!

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth A Whole Lot Less!
    Gene

PCollen and Acme8 like this.
  16. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    Well yes, Thomann would want me to send the guitar back for them to check, which would take 4 weeks or more. So not going to happen. They are adamant that it was a brand new guitar when I bought it. Lesson learnt, don't buy online.

Well I'll fiddle with the springs the best I can manage, and buy a new bridge claw when I have the money, and take it to a tech.

17. Lonn

Admin Post
    Why a new bridge claw?

18. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    That's the only new part I can afford :) well, seriously I guess it won't make a difference, you are right about that.

19. PCollen

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    Most of the time, buying on line is no problem. Where the problems arise is when the buyer doesn't know exactly what he is buying (or is told incorrect info by the seller) and doesn't look the instrument over closely or know what exactly to look for when it arrives to verify that what is delivered is what was expected by the buyer.

This is absolutely NOT a Fender factory QC problem. Whatever happened to this guitar happened after it was shipped from the factory.

I'm still not understanding how long the OP has had this guitar. He said it is one year old and bought new. Did he buy it new a year ago ?

20. PCollen

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    And, if the different bridge mounting screws are different diameters or thread type, original screws might be a loose fit requiring fill and re-drill.