Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's this 62' worth?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by lightningflash, Oct 29, 2017.

1. lightningflash

lightningflash Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2013
    USA
    The story I got on it is a guy got it as a present in high school and now he's dying and his wife or sister is selling it. They found it in his garage or attic or somewhere in pretty rough shape. Bridge pickup didn't work, 5 way was rusted and wouldn't budge, and the pot to the middle pickup didn't work. Everything else is original, truss rod works. Kind of a barn find of sorts. Bridge pickup was replaced with a 62ri, 5-way and pot replaced but original parts are all there.
    So what's it worth? 1509288710835.jpg 1509288730662.jpg

2. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

3. Chrissomebody

Chrissomebody Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2017
    North Carolina

4. Chrissomebody

Jun 20, 2017
    North Carolina
    Yeah...most likely 10-20k...if not more. It looks like it is in great shape.

5. Percy

If i had the money i'd offer 15k but if i owned it i would not take 15k...

elliotj26 and guitarman1984 like this.

6. lightningflash

May 20, 2013
    USA
    Really? Even without all the parts working? The back of the neck was worn down to bare wood but original frets still so I'm guessing he might have sanded it

7. lightningflash

May 20, 2013
    USA
    15k would be retail or a cash person to person deal?

8. Chrissomebody

Jun 20, 2017
    North Carolina
    Check some out on reverb..15-20 is common

9. Percy

You need pics of the pick guard off and the neck off.....

10. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

I'd like to play something like that one day.

Michelotti likes this.

11. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

$14k-$16k if it was all original. I'm going to say ~$12k. If you played it in person and felt some sort of connection, you could be tempted by emotion to pay more... First hand knowledge that it's a good guitar is worth the premium and you would be justified by paying more.

it's always one of those things where if you walk away, will this be the guitar you could have had for just that little bit more or will you not think twice because you couldn't reach your number.

T Guitar Floyd and Mipstoo like this.

12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa

It would originally come with a 3-way. 5-ways weren't offered until the late '70s

ripgtr likes this.

13. lightningflash

May 20, 2013
    USA
    Ah, ok. I'm pretty sure he said he put a 5 way in it but maybe just said the pickup selector didn't work

14. lightningflash

May 20, 2013
    USA
    Could u put the switch in a salt bath and hookup a 9 volt to it to eat the rust? They do this with old coins that have been buried in the ground to eat the rust and crud off

15. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    It might get the lever to move again but the switch contacts would be unreliable. Good that the old parts were kept for their investment value not play function. The seller must have takenit to a shop for repairs and cleanup and know what they have ...

Because of the potential money involved, I'd give them some sort of deposit to better ensure they hold it for you and allow removing the neck and pickguard as noted above for pictures of it all and post them here for review. But the longer it takes for the experts here to advise the higher the probability for another buyer swooping in on it or the sellers getting their own advice.

16. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Looking at the state of it, it did get some play time. 5-way switch is not original for the period. And the missing bridge pickup takes some value of the guitar. If the dead pickup was kept, I would have at least have it rewound by a respectable pickup builder.

Reverb prices are an indication, but do not forget, that a lot doesn't sell fast. 15-16k upwards is too much, unless you're a respectable dealer with a long history, like Elderly, CME, Carters, Norman's Rare Guitars or Gruhns...

+1 My thoughts as well. Around 12-13K max...

No...

Yves, sikoniko and slowerhand like this.

17. Chrissomebody

Jun 20, 2017
    North Carolina
    I agree, and that was factored in on my previous comment where i said 10-20k.

18. lightningflash

May 20, 2013
    USA
    She wants 15k or close to it, I don't think it's worth quite that much

19. lightningflash

May 20, 2013
    USA
    I told her to take it to a reputable vintage dealer and see what they say because the place she took it to that fixed the switch told her it was worth a minimum of 18k, so she was lead to believe it's worth more than it really is

20. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    It's been my experience that what you can sell an old strat for and what you can buy an old strat for are quite different things.