Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's this!? High E keeps breaking.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Acme8, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    So changed my strings yesterday, went for a little lighter set of 9-52, adjusted the neck and saddle while I was at it. The high E didn't hold tune, I mean it was dropping a half step in a few seconds, I kept winding it up and there's this "twang"-sound, tune goes down an octave or so and when re-tightening the string comes out of the bridge having broken from that end (the small metal ring had come off). I put in a new string thinking maybe it was just a one off, played for a while it seemed ok.

Now today I took out the guitar and the same exact thing happens? What is happening here?

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    A duff batch of strings, I had the same thing happen about a year ago, two top Es on two different guitars.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    ^^^^ What He Said! ^^^^
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!
    Sh!t Happens & At My Age, Ya Just Hope It Happens Every Day! :rolleyes:
    Gene

Frog Johnson, Thrup'ny Bit and Acme8 like this.
  4. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    Ernie Ball strings? I used them for a while, and every other set had a high E that did that. Switched back to D'Addario, haven't had that problem since.

Frog Johnson and Acme8 like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Mine were D'Addarios, the only time it's ever happened with them and I've been using the since the 1980s.

Bodean and Acme8 like this.
  6. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    Yeah these were d'Addarios.

7. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2012
    NoVa
    Sounds like a bad batch. I had a D in a pack of DR Pure Blues once when the core came loose from the winding (Could have been user error when I put on the strings). Rattled like crazy, but nothing was obvious externally. Just yesterday, the winding already started to come apart where I pick on the G-string from a pack of D’addario EXP17’s that I had just installed an hour earlier.

Nick

8. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    Yes that seemed to have been it. Went out and bought single-packed high-E's and now everything's ok. Would suck to buy a batch of strings packs and realize it at a gig,not having anything else as a backup.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. Bodean

Bodean Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Happened to me with D'Adarrios 3 times out of the same box, back to Ernie Balls.

10. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    Btw I could'nt find any contact info at d'Addario's homepage, I guess it's an easy way to ignore your customers...

11. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    That's what retailers are for - you tell them that you got bad strings in their store and let them deal with the hassle ;)
    They should give you two new packs straight away.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Hah. Good luck with that. My local retailer doesn't carry single strings, so I couldn't even buy replacements...

gwjensen likes this.
  13. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Really? I've had trouble with strings twice, at two different stores, and while they did carry singles, they just gave me two new packs.

It's basically just a warranty issue. If you buy a guitar and the headstock breaks the next day, they'll give you a new guitar too, even if they don't offer replacement necks, right?
    If a store assumes that you've bashed the guitar against the wall first thing or they think you're too dumb to string a guitar up, you probably shouldn't leave your money there in the first place.

Granted, that's a rather entitled approach, but it works for everyone these days, so why shouldn't we just make the best of that?

14. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    People must be a lot more trusting where you are.

Textele likes this.
  15. Acme8

Acme8 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Finland
    Yeah I didn't get any new strings... the guy was just like "hope these will do better...". I'll take my business elsewhere.

Thrup'ny Bit and TangerineDog like this.
  16. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

Sep 2, 2014
    Where am I?
  17. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Two things to try...
    First, make absolutely certain that the string is fully seated into the block.

Sounds like a no-brainer but it's pretty common; that the string hangs up inside the block...on a braid at the edge of the counter sink for the string end...then under tension pops free and snaps at the ball...

Second, if you've got it, solder the braid at the ball end of the string causing problems. This will eliminate any possibility of the braid unwinding...thus if you are still breaking that string, you will know you have a problem unrelated to the string itself.

18. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Don't wrap the string more than 2 times around the post....

19. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
  20. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Just to add, it is well documented about the huge profusion of fake D'Adarrios around.

There is a serial number you can check online to ensure they are genuine before you check out anything else.

evangilder and rocknrollrich like this.