Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's this!? High E keeps breaking.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Acme8, Dec 1, 2018.

1. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-Talker

May 2, 2017
    Olathe, KS
    I use the D'Addario, and buy them in bulk for a custom set that goes 9-38. About one in five of the high E breaks right when I string it up.

Still, I like the tone, so I stick with that brand.

evangilder likes this.
  2. Sonic Les

Sonic Les Strat-Talk Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Hartlepool UK
    When putting a new string on don't wind the string around and around the post with your fingers as you will end up with the string having a lot of twists , Take all slack up on the new string with the tuning key .

gwjensen likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    I had the high e unwinding from the ball end on EBs a couple of year ago and switched to D'Addario NYXLs, no problems.

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I had an Ernie Ball .009 do that to me. The wrapped strings at the ball were not all tight together. There were just a few tight wraps, then a few turns of farther spaced wraps, then a few more tight ones, and it wasn't enough to hold. I decided that if it happened again I'd solder the wraps to save the strings, and get something else next time.

5. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I just emailed customer service at Ernie Ball about it. I'll keep you posted.

6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Wow. Counterfeit strings ???
    What is the world coming to?

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-Talker

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    That happens a lot with classical guitar strings. That why I only buy from legitimate, trustworthy dealers like Strings by Mail or Strings and Beyond.

Neil.C likes this.
  8. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I already heard back from Ernie Ball:

Hello. I recently had one of your 0.009" electric guitar strings come unwound at the ball end. The wraps of string at the ball were not all tight together, and they started sliding tighter toward the end, but they kept going and after a few bends of that e string it just all came apart.

I chalked it up to one bad string, but just read a thread on Strat-Talk about it happening to others and thought I should pass this along to you. The string was one in a package of six individual 0.009" strings, and I have not had others do it yet.

-Jim

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 7:52 AM Webmaster <webmaster@ernieball.com> wrote:
    Hi Jim,

We're sorry to hear that. It is definitely not a common occurrence and we want to be sure you're satisfied. We'll go ahead and get another 6-pack sent out to you just in case. We appreciate you letting us know.

Thanks for rockin' Ernie Ball!

Ernie Ball Strings and Accessories
    Domestic Customer Service Team
    customerservice@ernieball.com

Textele, velvet_man, gwjensen and 4 others like this.
  9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Kudos to EB.

Neil.C and Triple Jim like this.
  10. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    That old Tele Star I picked up a few days ago....I went through FOUR high E strings of various gauges and brands and gave up.

11. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Agreed, and I thanked them heartily.

velvet_man and rocknrollrich like this.
  12. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    I have found I can't take em up to E6

13. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    The day I start checking serial numbers or calling customer service about a string is the day I’ll switch to piano.

14. nutball73

nutball73 Strat-O-Master

Nov 12, 2013
    Southern UK
    Some strings seem to work-harden quicker than others too. In order of breakage, my experience is:

1. Ernie Ball slinkies - break the most
    2. Rotosound next
    3. D'Addario next
    4. Elixir Nanowebs very rarely

YMMV...

Oh - and 10s break FAR less than 9's!

15. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talk Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Reading, UK
    Here's direct email to George @ Daddario Customer Service. Give him a chance and you will see how great CS they offer

George.Santos@daddario.com

Disclaimer - I'm not working for Daddario, just a happy customer with good experiance

velvet_man and Triple Jim like this.
  16. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    If you don't pass information about the problem along to the company selling the product, it's sometimes hard for them to know there is a problem. While I don't feel obligated to tell them, I do think it's a nice thing to do for a company that makes products I like. I became very aware of this when I started manufacturing and selling products to the public.

In my case above, taking three minutes to send an email got me a new pack of strings that would have taken more time than that to buy in the usual way.

velvet_man, Bob the builder and Acme8 like this.
  17. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talk Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Reading, UK
    I play Daddario 20+ years and only had two faulty strings. Never crossed my mind to complain regarding that. My beef was EXL110BT's not being available in bulks. George said he will pass it on and after a nice chat generally about the gear I recieved NYXL to try, sent back my review back to him only to received another set as a thank you. It's just a couple of sets of strings but hey - I have no namd attached to my playing, Im not a youtube superstar but I received care I did not expected to receive. And that was after I was unintentionally rude to George. Daddario 4ever

velvet_man and gwjensen like this.
  18. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

maybe if it wasnt high all the time it wouldnt be broke huh?

19. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I can't remember the last time I broke a string... I use Slinkys and D'Addarios… Probably means I don't play enough... :(

Neil.C likes this.
  20. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Ditto, don't think I've ever broken a string.

gwjensen likes this.