Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

whats up with deluxe reverb prices ?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SilvaStrat, Jan 12, 2018.

1. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2015
    Fort Worth,tx
    I google deluxe reverb , and there is such a variation , red knobs , 65 , 67, 68 reissued , 1980 black face, Custom
    but what is intriguing is the cost variation , from 500 bucks all the way to 4000 bucks ,
    can someone into deluxe reverbs , give us a deluxe reverb makeover , so I can understand what I should pay for what , like what is the more expansive and why , why is the cheaper cheap? you know what I mean ?

fattboyzz likes this.

2. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2015
    Fort Worth,tx
    I don't think I need to say that if is vintage or Colector item of course is going to be more pricy , I know that , is not what I am looking for , If I just want a good reliable, great sounding deluxe reverb what is the difference between the available ?

3. Rialas

Rialas Strat-Talker

Mar 14, 2016
    London
    I'm no expert. I do have an early 80's deluxe. They're a little pricey as they are handwired and from the Rivera period. Hard to find in nice condition. Ain't selling mine anytime soon.

Nate D and 8T_BoCO like this.

4. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    my 65 DRRI is about ten years old. In very good condition and unmolested. Should be about to get one for about $700 +/-

Groovey likes this.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah I was interedted in gettin one used....but for the money its better to go new on these....

I mean its only like 300$ more for a new one....with warranty and first ownership and all...

After Ima buy a Super Sonic used sometime this year....those are great used prices.

But first its the Deluxe Reverb....found a special edition with a Celestion Cream. Its a hot tamale!!!!!

6. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    All I will say is that when vintage blackface 22 watt 1-12" ( student amp ) speaker amp can sell for near twice the price of a professional vintage 45 watt 4-10" speaker amp, the result is you have a lot of dumb ass people with a lot of extra money in there pocket being pulled around by there Nose!

nuculer terrist and 8T_BoCO like this.

7. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    not sure any of the so called vintage market makes sense. I read in (I think) Vintage Guitar that boomers are buying up stuff that their parents couldn't or wouldn't buy them when they were kids. You see gear that was a POS back then going for nose bleed prices. So who knows?????

Nate D likes this.

8. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Yeah, I don’t know what happened with the Supersonic prices. I bought my 60 combo used at GC in 2015 for $700. Now you can get them as low as $550 (reverb seems to be $7-800, though).

The only thing I can figure is that the 60w is a turn-off to a lot of folks, since the 22w seem to sell for more, used, than the 60w does.

I put a Jet City Jettenuator on mine, and I can use it in the same volume situations I would a 22w 1x12.

These things are a crazy good deal right now for a MIA Fender amp.

The-Kid and Paperback Rocker like this.

9. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I window shop for these at Guitar Centers used inventory. Usually a bunch for 450-700$.

10. Dalendl

Dalendl Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2016
    NW Mn
    Ya, like the late 70's strat prices. Just crazy.

11. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

look at it as though Fender is making a DR available for everyone in every price range...
    -or-
    Fender is milking the poop out of a venerable old amp's name.

It seems to boil down to whether the particular model sports a PC board or is claimed to have been wired by humans. I think that there may even be a distinction for a halfling...one that sports "hand wired tube sockets" (seriously, that's what the advertising literature said) sort of implying, to me anyway, that these hand wired tube sockets connect to a printed circuit.

Something for everyone I suppose.

Tone Guru likes this.

12. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I don’t think a 22w Deluxe Reverb amp or 18w Tweed Deluxe is a student amp. I can hang with any drummer and bass player in most rooms without a mic on it with having the amp’s volume at less than 6

Stratoskater likes this.

13. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    They can keep going up. I have mine :)

1561A6B2-A55E-48CB-928B-911E915FEB52.jpeg

Marln864 and nuculer terrist like this.

14. Rialas

Rialas Strat-Talker

Mar 14, 2016
    London
    They're expensive for a reason.
    Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.
    Deluxe next to my 70's twin.
    Deluxe blows it away. 1651462E-B0BE-422F-B023-8E240239740D.jpeg

Stratoskater likes this.

15. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    The biggest difference is that those made before the mid '80s used eyelet board construction.
    Most of the reissues have a printed circuit board.
    Looking from the front it might be hard to tell them apart.
    Some of the modern variations are mostly cosmetic with some slight circuit mods for flavour.

Prices are usually influenced by the laws of supply and demand.

Rialas likes this.

16. Rialas

Rialas Strat-Talker

Mar 14, 2016
    London
    I believe mine (Rivera) was made up until 85. There's a chap called Andrew Waugh who runs a website dedicated to these amps.
    This is what it looks like inside.

5345C858-31C3-4875-A5F7-07B18DFD174E.jpeg

17. Rialas

Rialas Strat-Talker

Mar 14, 2016
    London
    But really loving the boogie :whistling:

18. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    It is a great amp that is an ideal size for gigging. It is a name that has been used for decades. It has many happy memories attached and us said to be the most recorded amp.

All of which means that the name has been used and abused to sell amps, even amps that have little to do with their famous tweed or blackface predecessors. The best cost/performance option is to build your own or have one built for you.

I like big glass but don’t feel as Stevem does. A Deluxe is easy to carry and can be played in the sweet spot in live gig settings. I am glad it is not my only amp but if you said I could only have one it might be what I would choose. If I could have two I would take a Princeton Reverb and a 40w 6L6 amp.