Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's your favorite clean strat pickup set?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Fuzzpop, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

My favorite are actually Classic Stack Strats. But for true singles, I love the Antiquity II Surfers, and the Five Twos.

lineboat and Elvie like this.

2. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    ^^^ +1 on this

I think Fender 57/62 pickups, the late ones with beveled mags, are a baseline for standard Strat tone.

3. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Pickups that are NOT wired hot.

Why? Hot pickups are considered easier to distort.

4. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Nov 24, 2016
    wisconsin
    Fender 57/62 The best !!

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    My 'pole adjusted' Fat 50's are VERY clear and articulate................. actually to a fault, IMO. For me they only sound good (to ME) with the tone knob rolled off a bit. I want to try a set of Fat 60's as I've read they are a bit warmer/bolder.

In my little collection my CV 60 Strat with Tonerider Classic Blues pups has a great bluesy clean tone that I prefer. My favorite pickup set for sure!

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Did you change the pickups ?

7. rich815

rich815 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I just put a set of basic Fender pickups from a 2001 American Standard (the set used between the mid-late 90’s to mid 2000’s, before being replaced with Fat 50’s). It’s a beautiful classic strat sound both clean and with overdrive and pedals. Much praise all over the internet for these. Can usually be found between $60-90 a set.

8. Adam Moss

Adam Moss Strat-O-Master

Feb 10, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    I love a Texas Special. Turbo charged cleans

9. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    No, the CV 60 has Tonerider Classic Blues pups from the factory.

10. sjtalon

That's been a forum misnomer for quite some time now. For whatever reason, someone, noticing the similarity, decided to say they put Tonerider pickups in CIC Squires.

So it seems 999 times out of a 1000, whenever someone talks about the Squires, someone posts..........................oh, the pickups in them are Toneriders. So on and on it goes.

Funny how it takes forever to squish the rumor mill. I guess a lot of folks are just going to believe what they will, and think everything they read is the gospel.

CV's are manufactured by Grand Reward Education & Entertainment (GREE). THEY have a pickup department of THEIR own, in THEIR factory, and MAKE pickups for Tonerider, as well as what goes into
    guitars THEY manufacture.

But whatever, they are great sounding pickups none the less.

11. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The pups are labeled the same as the Tonriders. Whether Squier makes them or Tonrider makes them it's of no importance. They are the same.

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Of the guitars I own the grey backed pups that are stock in my '76 hardtail natural.

I have Hot Golds in a homegrown Blackie clone, but they don't seem to have the crispness of the grey backs.

13. sjtalon

Just giving credit to where credit is do.

Just as there are Fender guitars, and Squire Guitars, but they are NOT "the same".

14. lineboat

lineboat Strat-O-Master

Aug 5, 2013
    western ky
    Of all my Strats, and most have different pickups, there’s a set Bodean wound that are amazing. Tony Sims turned me on to his stuff, and it doesn’t disappoint!

15. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Another 57/62 set fan here....

16. jamieorc

jamieorc Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2016
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yes, yes, yes. And if you need completely noiseless, the L-45s, which are dang close to the Microcoils.

17. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    Through what amp? That's the question, I guess. Same pickups, different amp. Do you still like them as through that other amp?

18. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I actually went with a set of Angeltone 5S7 pickups a few months back after I posted this. They worked out really well. Right now I'm running a DV Mark Micro 50 into a 1x12 cab so it's a completely clean platform.

CephasG likes this.

19. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I noticed no one has listed the Pure Vintage 59s as an excellent choice, yet the AV 59 is heralded as an excellent sounding guitar.

Single Malt and hexnut like this.

20. Blues Man

Blues Man Strat-Talk Member

Feb 7, 2018
    USA
    My American Elite came with the Fender Gen4 noiseless pups

I have really come to like them a lot.