Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What's your opinon about Dunlop Univibe Vibrato Guitar

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Dreadge, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-Talker

Jul 27, 2012
    Serbia
    Hey guys and gals. I'm hunting this pedal for quite some time now.
    Has anyone of you had one, and what is your opinion.
    Don't know what is the right price for it, because nowadays you can only buy it used.

originalslika_Dunlop-Univibe-Vibrato-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-Made-InU-S-A-136074959.jpg

Cheers

liltimmy likes this.

2. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I never cared for this pedal much.. But I have limited experience with it. I tried one in a shop decades ago and didn't care for it. It was very throbby... a hard on off type sound. It could be just how I had it set. But a buddy has one and he nails Jimi Woodstock tones with it all day long. But he'll only plug it up for his Hendrix set then remove from his chain when he's done. He says it sucks to much Tone to leave in his signal chain.... the fact that he nails Jimi tunes note for note maybe why the pedal sounds so good when he uses it...

Nobody else seemed to answer your question... so this is just my opinion...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    CigBurn and Funk McNasty like this.

3. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

Jan 30, 2012
    I used one of the Dunlop UV-1 reissues for a while back in the day. I loved it in the 90's and early 00's.. And like Electgumbo said, with the right settings you can really nail the Jimi/thrower/Gilmore thing. But they are about the same price now on the used market as they were when they were in production—between$200-300 depending on if they come with the optional expression pedal. And to be honest, while these univibes were great in the 90's and early 00's, in recent years there have been many true photocell UniVibe clones that are much better sounding than the old Dunlop one for the same price or cheaper. Just my opinion. I love the JHS Unicorn UniVibe better than anything, and I hear great things about the MJM 60's
    Vibe and the Drybell Vibe machine

CigBurn, jball85 and Electgumbo like this.

4. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Good info guys!

I've been looking at these for a while, thinking I want one just because. May still get one just so I have it.

I have issues. :)

Funk McNasty likes this.

5. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    What McNasty said.

Funk McNasty and CigBurn like this.

6. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

Jan 30, 2012
    I hear ya! It won't be bad choice at all—if you are looking for the classic swishy vibe sound you'll find it spades there! Plus it's a sharp looking piece on any board. Enjoy!

CigBurn likes this.

7. CigBurn

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Yeah, see now that's exactly how my brain talks to me about stuff like this. :)

Funk McNasty likes this.

8. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

I've owned the pedal for 20 years, with the foot control. I tried out the fulltone model that was the rage when it came out. Can't say I was ready to jump ship, because it sounded about on par with what I already had. No better.

Through a cranked big iron Marshall with a strat that not-so-hot Dunlop product will stop your heart when it comes to gushing throbbing machine gun Jimi Hendrix tone. Impressive just how powerful the whole rig is. It almost becomes a living thing. Stuff starts happening that has to be brought under control or it seems your amp or speakers won't take it.

Playing with the intensity control nets all kinda other cool sounds to play with. I liked the lightest possible setting, would give a kind of gloss to rhythm work. But for Jimi you wanna max that sucker. It also has the tremolo effect but I never cared a whole lot for that side of it. It ain't the same as Fender/Gibson amp tremolo I was used to. There is also a vintage and modern switch on the input jack side of the box. I found the vintage setting cut highs, netting a duller tone. The modern setting was my preferred, no missing highs. Minus the foot control a univibe just ain't the same, altering speeds on the fly is part of replicating a rotating speaker effect. It takes up some space on your pedal board cause you have your main housing and then a wah-wah pedal sized foot control. You kinda gotta want to have it on there and use it on enough material that makes hauling and hooking it up worth it. That was my main issue, it was a one or two song effect. Don't know if it's a tone suck, I had other tone suckers in my chain at the time.

There are a couple pedals I have tried personally or heard that were a richer univibe tone; the original shin-ei, a Hughes and kettner rotosphere, and the effectrode univibe which had tubes in there. All great sounding units, none of them are produced any longer as far as I know and were all big money, more money than the dunlop, to begin with. Only the original offered a foot control as I recall and the original is pricey and a bit fragile. In a live setting, where I tried and tested it, the original was improved over the Dunlop but I think my friend payed $1200+ for it. Heck the Dunlop unit was $300+ with the foot control, it wasn't cheap at the time, still ain't. You also need a stereo cable for the foot control to function proper and be able to turn off/on the unit remotely.

I think the reason it held its value is it was one of Dunlop's better pedal offerings. Mine has been great. Built like a tank, very reliable, uses 18 volt power supply. Dudes went vibe crazy in the early and mid 2000s and every jerk with a soldering iron and a kitchen table started producing boutique vibes. Limited market to begin with. Dunlop probably saw the writing on the wall and decided not to bother. But I still think it competes with anything else I hear out there today. Not worth it if you are just fooling around, but well worth it if you are a dedicated univibe nut.

9. CigBurn

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    To do a little math.. I see I can pick up a used one for about $200.. Lets say I use it on 4 songs, but I play those songs 5 times a week because hendrix, trower.. So thats twenty uses a week minimum.. x 52 weeks a year = 1040 plays a year.. if I keep the pedal for 10 years that adds up to 10,400 plays.. Divide that by the $200 I may pay for it and it suddenly starts to look like I'm a genius for getting in so cheap! :D

10. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

I've been selling myself on the same kinda math about a $4500 ES355. It'll boil down to pennies per playing session. It's just getting all those pennies together at the same time that I'm having some real difficulty with.

CigBurn and Funk McNasty like this.

11. Dreadge

Dreadge Strat-Talker

Jul 27, 2012
    Serbia
    Wow guys I was off of this tread apparently. Didn't had any notification about this.
    Well, the pedal was sold for about 80 euros and I didn't won the bid.
    Sadly...
    As for the answers, thank you all and I will sure keep an eye on these in the future, because I think they have a good reputation on catching that Jimi Vibe.
    I'm a simple man and I like it simple. So, this in front of an Marshall amp would sure sound psychedelic!

Thx!

CigBurn likes this.

12. CigBurn

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    I figure if I miss one deal, another will come along soon enough. So I'm not ever really in a hurry on it. At the moment I have a Moen Shaky Jimi, which is a decent optical univibe pedal that honestly is probably just as good, but man the looks of the dunlop are like a siren song. So one of these days the right one will happen.

Well that and maybe a Deja-Vibe so I have a back up and then the Moen can be the backup to the backup.. :)