Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

When a scent reminds you of something in your past...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jan 10, 2018.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Honeysuckles remind me of running long distances when I was in high-school...35 years ago. Also, those plastic Fender hard-cases of the 80s remind me of a paisley Tele I used to have.

2. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    If i smell Jack Daniels I am reminded of the time I went to a U2 concert and was not quite old enough to drink. I had it ingrained in my head from my older brothers that if caught, i did not get it from them so I chugged a 3.75ML bottle before we even got to the first gas station and when the guy driving us saw me throwing out the bottle asked my buddy if i had an alcohol problem because i drank that in like 5 minutes. Drank it so fast it hadn't really hit me yet so i started drinking beer in the lot. I passed out under a car and my buddy gathered a crowd of people to cheer me on as he woke me up hoisted me up out of my own vomit and dragged me in to the stadium. That's really all i remember. I haven't touched that stuff since.

3. Gladius

Gladius Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2014
    China
    When me and my friends would go out in my high school and college days we always grabbed cheap vodka and orange juice and continuously added vodka to the orange juice as we drank it down. Now every time I smell orange juice I swear I smell vodka in it.

4. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talk Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    A good smell -
    My Grandpa John was a great, if stereotypical grandfather. He wore a hat with fishing lures on it and you learned to fish whether you wanted to or not. Do you have to go pee, he wouldn't let you out of the boat you had to hold it, for hours. He did all this with a wink as he was really a family and good hearted man.

He died when I was 15 and I was till too young to really appreciate life and death. Well a few years later I was walking through a drug store and "an older man" passed in front of me. As I passed through his jet wash I could smell whatever aftershave he wore. It was the same as grandpa John. A flood of memories came back to me and for a brief moment in time I felt like he was still a part of my life. Of course he wasn't and I realize that while I only had memories of him, they were all good ones.

Funny how smells invoke such strong memories.

A bad smell -
    Rubbing alcohol. I was born with a cleft pallet and had far more reconstructive surgery than I care to remember. I certainly have spent my fair share of time in hospitals (as a kid and sometimes overnight for three or more nights while under the age of five) and had many shots for anaesthetic, IV's and whatever else. They always swab the shot zone with rubbing alcohol before injecting you and to this day, that smell is one that puts me on high alert. (I know there are kids who spent more time in hospitals than me growing up and my heart goes out to them. Hospital time SUCKS and there is no two ways about it.)

New guitar smell is one I have recently added to my list of favorites but that one will be cliche around here. Heading down to play in fifteen minutes.

NC

jojosmith likes this.

5. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    No apologies needed. Way too many women only take care of themselves because that is how they compete with other women. Put a ring on her hand and now that she has landed her man she'll stop taking care of herself. Should you split up, she'll go back to taking care of herself to land a new man. That is so shallow and dishonest. So you won't take care of yourself for me but you'll do it to find someone else huh? I know not all women are like this but a lot of them are.

NC

Bob the builder likes this.

6. Numbercruncher

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    Now make that smoke from Castor Oil and I just about fall into a trance.

NC

johnnymg and trapdoor2 like this.

7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Same here. Nitro and castor oil fumes from model airplane engines. One whiff and I'm a 10yr old standing in the circle with a Ringmaster and a snarling Fox .35 trying to pull my arm out of the socket...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I love the smell of a pipe for the same reason. I think about my grandpa every day, and it's been over 20 years now.

johnnymg likes this.

9. MrKrabs

MrKrabs Strat-Talker

May 15, 2017
    Texas
    Dill Pickle sunflower seeds... Good times of summer

10. Barb

Barb Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I used to wear that, it would disgust me now but then, I liked it.

11. Barb

Jun 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    Certain fragrances remind me of people in my past. Good and bad. I remember one time my mom visiting me in the hospital and wearing Estee Lauder heavily. I could throw up smelling it ever again.

I identify people by their fragrances. Love the scent of a box of Crayola crayons, takes me back to school days. They don't smell like that anymore so I bought a vintage box for the memory. How about the smell of paste we used in elementary school? The smell of a magic marker used to be good too. I remember the reading books and their smell in school .

Numbercruncher likes this.

12. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    What's a womens favorite scent in your opinion.? Most common.?

13. Barb

Jun 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I guess you're asking the guys.

But this is an interesting dialogue because it's been such a big issue in my life. My husband never liked any fragrance I wore. He would comment on other women's scents on occasion and I even said ask them what it is. That never happened.

ocean likes this.

14. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    My grandfather used to smoke a pipe, tobacco was Borkum-Riff. Had a pleasant scent. Grandpa has been gone for many years now, but any time I smell that tobacco, he comes right to mind.

jojosmith and Numbercruncher like this.

15. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

For better or worse, I was born with no sense of smell. I take comfort in that off all my senses, that's the one I think is least critical. There are some good sides and down sides to this. One result is I love very spicy food.

Barb likes this.

16. Barb

Jun 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    They claim much of our taste is related to smell. Do you taste lots of different foods?

circles likes this.

17. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

^ I can taste, but I suspect that sense has been decreased a bit by having a weaker smell/taste combo.

18. Barb

Jun 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    Perhaps. Glad you can!

19. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i think @circles must have a little smelling ability, or he couldnt taste anything. its true that if you cant smell it, you cant taste it. this is how a lot of special forces guys are able to eat things that would make most people puke. i hate the taste of whiskey, so when i drink it i cut off my air with that flap thingy and im unable to taste it untill i begin breathing through my nose again.
    this also helps if im at someones house for dinner and they serve something that tastes absolutely awful....i would rather not be rude to anyone serving me food.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The neighborhood I grew up in was converted orchards, so for orange blossom is the smell of spring. It’s a beautiful smell, but it also means the unbearable Phoenix summer was well on it’s way...

Numbercruncher likes this.