Join Strat-Talk Today

When does a modded Strat cease to be a Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Scimmy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

There are days when it certainly helps Bob. Why do they call you Bob, Bob?

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I think that's a mis-quote from Only Fools and Horses, when Rodney tries to explain to Trigg that his name isn't Dave, even though Trigg has been calling him that for years. I can't find the exact clip, but it ends something like this.

Rodney: "Haven't you noticed that everyone else calls me Rodney?"

Trigg: "Why do they call you that then Dave?"

It's something of a running joke, if you look on YouTube.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Yeah, good old Trigger and his broom. :)
    All goldfish are named Bob. Go on, go up to one and ask it it's name...
    bob.gif

simoncroft and Scimmy like this.
  4. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

To put it another way, if this is what people worry about, well they don’t have too much to worry about at all...!

CigBurn, Seymour Duncan and Doug B like this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

I have a strat neck on a telecaster, I call it a telecaster.

I have Jackson and Charvel and Phantoms that I call strats.... they just don’t come when called...

[​IMG]

6. Gavran

Gavran New Member!

I think it might come down to the Theseus’s Ship Paradox.

You know, the ship dilemma where we replace parts of a ship in need of repair with new parts. Eventually we replace all of the parts. Is it still the original ship?

And after a long time, we are able to take all of the discarded parts and put them together into a whole new ship. Is that the original ship?

Or are they both, or neither?

Lol or am I just rambling?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

MrCairo, simoncroft and CigBurn like this.
  7. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

This is certainly an issue if you are selling guitars, or want to keep something as vintage as possible to keep its value. But as a player...I will do anything to make the guitar usable to me.

guitartwonk likes this.
  8. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Ha ha, if I tried that you'd have a guitar that's more solder than wood.

Scimmy and simoncroft like this.
  9. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

lol
    it is actually always the original....because on the balance sheet, all of those new parts are just viewed as capital improvements

simoncroft likes this.
  10. guitartwonk

Absolutely it comes down to this. I mentioned the Ship in a previous reply but didn't give the detail you gave. I think if you give most people the first scenario without mentioning the second, they'll say that it's still the same ship. However, I think that when you then mention the second scenario (i.e. we put the discarded parts together), most will then say this is really the Ship of Theseus and the first one (with newer components) is not, even though a minute ago they said it was.

It seems to me that firstly the answer is subjective and secondly it's qualitative, i.e. the ship made of original parts is MORE Theseus'-Ship-like than the one made of replacements, but in the absence of the original, there is enough about the one made of parts (due to some kind of continuity of identity from one stage to the next) for it to be Theseus'-Ship-like enough to be worthy of the name.

I think we may be straying slightly from the OP's question though. The question was "is it still A strat?", not "is it still the SAME strat?" So, how do we define "strattiness"?

simoncroft likes this.
  11. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

This concept is conveyed in an old joke:

"Jimmy's had the same broom for 30 years. In that time, it's had eight new heads and four new handles."

I would argue that neither ship is the 'original' ship, and the answer is relevant to owners of vintage Strats, I feel.

The ship that has had 100% of its parts replaced may be functionally identical to the original ship, but it is no more the original than than the identical one that was made after it at the same shipyard by the same workers.

The ship that has been assembled from all the original parts is not the original ship, because the original ship left the yard without a seized engine, a rust hole in the hull, a snapped mast... therefore it is functionally greatly dissimilar to the original ship, which was in perfect working order.

This is relevant to Strat owners because many vintage instruments retain original parts, such as pots, frets and tuners, that are well past their functional best. Therefore, while it is true to say "all the parts are original", there is a real sense in which it is not "the original guitar". The original had a neck fully lacquered, not mostly worn away, the frets were even and much higher, the volume pot didn't crackle etc etc.

It's a sad dillema when there is a lot of money at stake, and an incitement of the collectors' market that "original" can be valued more than "playable" or "in good condition".

MrCairo likes this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

I modded my Strat...I put it's neck on a Tele.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

I'm going to turn my Strat into a table. That should qualify.

14. guitartwonk

That's a really good point you make. In fact, the moment the guitar leaves the factory and starts to be worn in by its first happy owner, that's when it begins to move away from being the "same" guitar. As it ages it decays.

I do love the way good guitars age gracefully though. Some of my older ones are starting to show wear and tear and there are stories behind the dents and chips... A bit like their owner!

simoncroft likes this.
  15. diverse379

diverse379 Strat-Talker

I bought four strats to install pickups and drop in a wiring harness in two
    And Wired custom shop pickups

Clearly modded but just pickups
    Fender custom shops but the guitars are no longer original
    But they sound much better

simoncroft likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.