Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

When you know you have enough guitars?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by bluesman1956, Oct 9, 2018.

1. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    For about 15 years that is all I had. I had my strat and my Seagul acoustic. Then it was the LPs, the PRS, the Tele....

Just when I think "why do I have all of these guitars" I pick up one I haven't played in a while and it grabs me...much like a new guitar. Suddenly I have my new #1.

If I HAD to pare it down...it would be my strat, tele, one lp, and my acoustic. All of those have pretty unique voices and inspire me in different ways.

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    me too man....from 1999 to 2010 i had rehab, an acoustic, and a bass. thats it. now i have 5 strats, 2 teles (by friday) 2 acoustics, and 2 basses. 3 guitar amps, and 2 bass amps. and from 1987 to 1993 i had only rehab. so if you add up the years, rehab was my only electric for 17 years.

BallisticSquid and Strat Jacket like this.

3. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    A year ago I was content with my acoustics, two Strats and my Epi. Since buying the latest, I seriously would not want to be without them, especially the Tele.

Passghetti and heltershelton like this.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    yeah, i wish i hadnt waited so long to get into teles.....but hey man, the bug hits when it hits.

Strat Jacket likes this.

5. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I was always drawn to the look of a strat and tele's looked ugly to me. Made me think of Bruce Springsteen...of whom I'm not a fan. I tried teles in the store and they sounded like my strat to me.

I was in a band with a guy playing a tele and I loved how it sounded. It has some real nice grit to it. Then it took a couple of years to stumble onto the right deal.

What I've learned is that I have to play through my own gear at home to really appreciate the unique tone. Same with my P90 LP. It like how it sounded in the store, but at home it blew me away!

A clever way to make room for guitars is to get your kids playing and "lend" them a guitar that they can keep in their room. I'm currently lending my tele to my older son, which made room for my P90 LP.

6. sp8ctre

sp8ctre Strat-Talker

Mar 8, 2014
    Long Beach, CA
    For me as a real answer it was when the joy wore off after a couple days and I went back to an older one.

I had something like 33 at one time and I've been selling off a lot. I think I'm down to 8 or 10 and I'm still moving some...

Strat Jacket likes this.

7. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Yikes!:eek:

8. Bigdogdaddy

Bigdogdaddy Strat-Talker

Aug 8, 2018
    Kansas
    I have gotten all of my cases (except a tweed one and a hardshell case for my VM Squer PJ bass) by buying guitars, selling the guitar for more than what I bought it for and keeping the cases. I got a Fender "violin" type case that retails for $150 and made 100 on the sale of the guitar.

9. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    when all you do with most of the ones you have is look at them.

10. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    not cool lol

Strat Jacket likes this.

11. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    every single one of my guitars has a place in the family... Any guitar I deem isn't being used then I usually leave it a place I go to a lot (like my moms house or my best friends) that way I have a guitar everywhere I go. Or I sell it or donate it to a kid who's family can't afford one.

I see no reason to have two guitars that are the same, unless one is a backup gig guitar.

Passghetti likes this.

12. Passghetti

Passghetti Strat-Talker

Sep 20, 2018
    Sin City
    "When you know you have enough guitars?"

.........When your GAS problems subside. & when all you can afford is ramen & bread! (ramen & bread gives me gas, so I'm screwed!)

Strat Jacket likes this.

13. playit

playit Strat-O-Master

Jul 14, 2014
    Germany
    I had just one strat, for years ..
    When we gigged more, all of a sudden I felt the need for a backup guitar when a string breaks or something.
    (Often happened at rehearsals but never at a gig where I normally have new strings..)
    After some time I only took the second one with me for bigger gigs.
    It has Fat 50s in it and has more lows and nicer, rounder treble.
    My main strat has texas specials and MIDS ...
    So, a second one is not bad for gigging ... ;)

BallisticSquid and Strat Jacket like this.

14. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I made the mistake of 'assuming' the Tele and Strat were basically the same, minus one pup and a different shape. Oh, how wrong one can be!:eek:

heltershelton and BallisticSquid like this.

15. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Definitely having a backup at a gig is a great idea. I always bring two guitars...just in case.

Interestingly, it wasn't until I was gigging that I really started to acquire more gear. The fact that I am gigging seems to justify it. :)

16. anderz

anderz Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2014
    Denmark
    When it does not mean to make sense to keep GAS up anymore.

17. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

When you find yourself building additions on your house to store your guitars. You already have derelict vans and station wagons in your yard that don't run simply for the purpose of storage.

I actually knew a lady who went to auctions and had a station wagon full of stuff.

But as far as knowing when I have enough? NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!!