Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Where to put pedals with noise suppressor pedal

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by intoflatlines, Mar 10, 2010.

1. intoflatlines

intoflatlines Strat-Talker

I am getting an NS-2 noise suppressor pedal to get rid of some crazy buzz I get when using high gain. It seems like pretty much everything would go into the NS-2 loop but I'm having some worries regarding the compression pedal and an overdrive/boost pedal.

Would compressor go before the NS-2? After? In the loop?

What about a combination overdrive/boost? I'm worried that if I put the OD/boost pedal in the loop I won't get the boost that I want when I activate the boost circuit. Additionally, I wouldn't be able to put the pedal outside of the loop, as the hum I am trying to get rid of occurs when boost and overdrive are active. The boost/overdrive is a single pedal with two circuits and two footswitches but can't be separated without some modding that I am currently unwilling to do.

2. barellano

barellano Senior Stratmaster

I use my NS-2 at the very end of my pedal chain. Output of NS-2 into amp input. I don't use the Send/Return. This has never cause an issue for me with OD or boost. It's a very basic approach that I take, but my experience is that the NS-2 in this setup kills any unwanted noise when I'm not playing, and doesn't kill my tone.

3. intoflatlines

What pedals do you have in front of it?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

I like my chain (personally) to go:

guitar > Distortions/overdrives > Wah > Tremolo/Chorus > Volume pedal > to amp.

I think of effects as 3 kinds. Overdrives, manipulators (wah/whammy), FX (flange/chorus/phaser types) and try to use them in that order. So for me I'd put a noise suppressor at the end of my chain, last thing before the amp.

But YMMV, people do things different way. Hendrix had his wah before his distortion and personally I prefer it after my distortion. At the end of the day trust your ears and let them tell you the best path to send your signal down.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

6. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

people do it both ways, 1st in line and last in line. Most people though put it at the end.
    http://www.isptechnologies.com/ is about the best you can get these days if you are still open to other possibilities.

the NS-2 (and ISP decimator g-string) go in both before the amp and in the loop unless I read your statement wrong and it was asking where does the comp go. In general at the beginning of the chain before the amp although its common for people to put Wahs and fuzz at the very beginning of the chain.

For myself I put the noise reduction as the last in line before the amp and also in the FX loop (I don't have my setup set this way but often people that use the noise reduction in the loop with a delay in the loop will put the delay box after the noise reduction. ) I use massive amounts of gain and it is needed for both before and in the loop if you want it as quiet as possible.

If you just use the noise reduction in one place then before the amp as the last in line is usually a safe bet as you might turning the fx loop off and on and hence negating any noise reduction when the fx loop is off. also... remember.... why have one cool OD pedal when you can have 2!!!

for reference i run
    cry baby--> comp --> some OD -->some OD--> phaser--> flanger --> decimator prorack G chan 1 --> amp --> out to 2 2x12s

FX loop: eq --> decimator prorack g chan 2

line out --> g-force --> 2:90 --> out to 2 1x12s

some references
    Harmony Central - Effects Explained
    Harmony Central - A Guide to Guitar Effects
    Guitar Effects Order: The Order in Which to Place Your Guitar Effects - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
    Guitar Amp Tone and Effects Placement
    lots of info out there......

additional note: Why put an overdrive in the FX loop? kinda defeating the purpose of an OD since the fx loop is generaly between the pre amp and power amp. Are you are looking for something like a solo boost that you can kick in for solo sections? a clean boost is an option also using an eq in the loop is a good way to achieve this.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I used to use a NS-2, and the thing to be careful of is where it sits in reference to your delays as it could chop off the ends or your repeats. I had mine after my wah, compressor and OD's right before going into the amp, and had all my chorus and delays in the FX loop. My amp is run clean though, so having it before an overdriven amp won't take care the noise you get from the amp's distortion.
    If your FX loop is always on you could put it first in the loop, thus taking care of any preamp distortion noise, and put the delays after.
    Another thing about the NS-2 - I don't know about others - is that depending on how you set it the pedal adds compression to your sound - almost similar to a compressor pedal set fairly low, but it's still noticeable...

8. intoflatlines

Thanks for the info everyone. I am a little confused about FX loop that you are mentioning. Are you referring to an FX loop in the amp or the send/return loop in the NS-2? I do not have an FX loop on my amp.

And I'm also not sure what you were talking about (boof) with regards to the overdrive in the FX loop. If I put the OD in the NS-2 send/return loop I would still get the overdrive and clean boost capabilities, right?

9. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

OD in the loop generally sounds like crap hence if you were looking for a boost I suggested an EQ

When I am talking about FX loop then I am talking about the FX loop on the amp. you dont have one so that issue is sorted.

10. ToneRanger

OD's in the loop of the NS-2 sound fine - I've run it both with OD's in the loop and with OD's before and it works fine either way.
    Below I attached some old diagrams of my past rigs both using the NS-2 loop and going straight through - I circled the NS-2 in blue to make it easier to find...

Attached Files:

11. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

what do you use to make those graphics?

12. ToneRanger

Guitargeek.com - cut and paste from existing rigs, plus I did a few myself in GIMP (poor man's Photoshop)...

13. intoflatlines

Wow those are some nice setups! Thanks for the info, I'll post whatever I end up doing here! :)

14. TreRocker

TreRocker Strat-O-Master

I send everything through the loop in mine.

15. ross

ross New Member!

In the NS2 instructions it says/shows to put the timed effects like Delay, Reverb, out of the loop and after the Noise Suppressor. I don't see much of an advantage to using the send/return loop except using more cable, unless you have dirt pedals scattered all over the place. From my experience it doesn't matter if you put the noisy effects (Wah, compresson, fuzz, Distortion, OD, boost) in the send/return loop or just use input/output and put the NS after all the dirt and noisy pedals and before the modulation/delay/reverb/looper pedals. Modulating pedals may vary, I have experimented with my phase 90 and decided the NS did not noticeably degrade it. I can't see a reason to subject a delay, reverb, or looper pedal to the NS threshold/decay gates, if they are noisy you need to upgrade.