Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which '57 RI neck to go for?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Articate, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    Hello, all!

Back in 2004, I bought an MIA Standard Strat. It's basically just the body remaining at this point. Not long after, I bought a '57 RI neck, MIM. It's been good to me, but I've come to understand that I should've taken care of these frets a long time ago. They're basically all the way flat around the 12th fret. I have no issues playing, besides bending taking an unnecessary amount of force, due to the friction of the flat metal of the fret. No excess string breaking, no buzzing.

The serial number on this neck says MZ2006370, and checking it out tells me it's from 2003.

I am able to pick up another E-series ST57-55 neck, with a serial number of E681896. That tells me it's from 84-87. The frets are a bit worn, but not at all as bad as my current neck is, but that means I will have to spring for some fret work sometime, anyway. I feel I have kind of a generic neck, and I enjoy the history and age of this one. I am just weary I'll buy into something that will require a lot of money in upkeep.

Is there anything that says one of these necks is superior to the other? I don't mind spending money on maintaining a good neck, but I don't know which of these that would be. If either. The ST57-55 is the lower end of the e-series, if I've understood the models correctly. Does it still surpass this 2003 neck?

The person selling it is asking the equivalent of 200-250$ for the MIJ neck. No fretboard wear on either

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    It seems there's only a classic '50s from this MIM-era? I think that means it's a soft v on the MIM neck, and was never called a '57 RI? I'm trying to dig through history to make a solid choice here, but I'm coming up a bit short, so I was hoping someone had some history on the relative qualities of these necks! I get that it's a super niche question, though.

Seems that people generally keep MIJ in high regard, and that the ST55-57 is of quality, while MIM has varied more through the ages, but are pretty solid from 2000 and up? But that MIM are more of a gamble.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    If you think you need a new neck my advice would be to buy a new one... Warmouth or such... second hand necks are a gamble, may as well just fix the one you have

Articate and Ebidis like this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    There has never been a MIM "reissue" neck of any sort. There is only the Classic Series.

Whether the MIJ neck is better than your MIM neck, who knows? Both should be of good quality. The only way you can judge any individual neck is to put your hands on it.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    All necks are different. As @Ebidis says the only way to tell is to get one in your hands. MIM in general tend to be skinnier than MIJ.

6. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    These are great points. The MIM neck I have has never faltered me. I think I've just played other necks with better frets and thought "wow, why does this feel so much easier to bend with? Maybe I have the wrong specs?" - but I have gone for the vintage setup with this guitar, which means I would want to stick with the same radius, nut width etc. If I refret the one I have, perhaps move up one on the fret thickness to not have the next ones wear out that easily.

Thanks, people. I don't really think I could justify getting a 200-250$ neck only to spend 350$ to refret it when I have a neck I can refret. It's probably the allure of being able to say "yeah, this neck is from the mid eighties" that's the biggest pull. At the same time, I'm a bit scared it might mean the neck isn't in great shape overall. I don't think the guy selling it takes the best care of it.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I'd just go for a refret if you like the neck you already have, the neck is 90% of the feel of a guitar, the rest is just there to hang the bridge and pickups on. The final setup of the guitar has more to do with the ease of playing than the radius of the neck.

d801hme and Cerb like this.
  8. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    This is true.

9. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    Thanks, guys. I'm gonna stick with my neck, and have it totally refretted and PLEK-ed! I'm still curious about the other neck, and said I would be interested if the price was lower, so if anyone does have experience with these models, feel free to write here! Thanks for the helpful feedback!

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Why do you want to pay all that extra money to get it Plekked?

Ebidis likes this.
  11. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    There aren't really that many repair shops here, and I figured 350$ to get it all fixed up was a fair price - and PLEK sounds nice?

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    US dollars? It sounds like more than the neck is worth to me! A decent fret job would cost me around £50 - PLEK is just an expensive gimmick.

13. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    Nono, re-fret the neck. These frets are gone.

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    A refret on my AVRI cost me £110 a couple of years ago. It didn't need a PLEK because he did the job correctly.

$350 is still more then this neck is worth, right? So where's the sense in that?

15. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    It is, absolutely. I just got another estimate from the other guy around, and he quoted the same price for changing the frets. The PLEK-ing is basically nothing ontop of the job of changing the frets.

It's hard to find a genuine Fender RI '57 neck, be it soft-v or c, but that 7.25' radius and the looks. This other neck I'm discussing is cheaper to buy than fixing my current one, but that one is also worn, so it would have to be fixed up at some point, and that would rack up the same price. I know that my current one works flawlessly with my guitar, and I've never had an issue with it.

I absolutely believe in the quality of, say, Warmoth, but with this exact guitar, I do want to keep it genuine Fender, and I can't seem to find a neck to buy. I tried looking at ebay, but I've seen some other parts site mentioned, so perhaps I should check that out.

And of course, if I refret it with stainless steel, I know it'll last a really long time.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

Perhaps the guitar techs (luthiers? Pftt!) in Hello like gratuitous technology more than we do?

I'm lost as to which neck we're talking about now... a '57, a '57RI, a Classic Series???

Maple probably means they're quoting for an unnecessary refinish too...

17. Articate

Articate New Member!

Aug 9, 2018
    N/A
    Oh, sorry. I'm protective of personal identifying data. This is Norway, so labor is costly.

The neck I currently own is the Classic Series, which I before believed was a '57 RI, but that wasn't a MIM thing in 2003. The other one I've been looking at was the E-series from Japan.

The guy told me he was currently working on flattening another person's vintage neck from 7.25' to 9 inch radius, and that work was an extra 80$ for the flattening and refinish, so no refinish.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Norway would be better than Hello and give little away... :)

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So am I. The way I see it is that if anyone on here takes a strong dislike to me & decides they want to kill me, they will have over 8 million people in London to search through in order to find me. I don't see that as a great risk to me. On the other hand, we need to know the location of most people on here in order to advise them. You were quoting prices in $s so I assumed that you were in a country that used the $ as currency. But you're not. So that makes it all a confusing mess.

Stating in your profile that you live in Norway narrows you down to one in 5 million people. That's not giving a lot away, is it?

The last time I checked, Fender were selling Classic Series necks separately, & I can't imagine them costing more than $350. Though why we're talking in $s I don't know.

You could probably buy a used MIM Classic Series 50s Strat for less than the money you're proposing to pay to refret the neck you have.

I'm beginning to wonder why I tried to help here...... o_O

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Free to good home: 1978 Tokai Springy Sound, blue, rosewood fretboard.

That'll flush him out.... :D

£275...