Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Which amp and how much to spend to complement Boss GT-1000

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Numbercruncher, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I love my Katana 50 but looking to expand gear wise. I like having a visual reference on a multi effect pedal like the GT-1000 as opposed to having to plug my laptop in to my Katana 50 to visually see what I am doing.

Well given the GT-1000 does everything my Katana 50 does, I'll probably just set the Katana 50 to clean and go from there should I buy the GT-1000.

But since I am about to drop $1,000 on a new effects pedal, maybe I should get an amplifier that has zero effects and just focuses on great sound. What I don't know is how much that amp would set me back and which model that would be?

For home playing around I am probably not going to gain much over my Katana 50 but I really like the visual display on something like the GT-1000.

I was gone from the guitar world and Strat Talk from May through now. Dad kind of finished up if you know what I mean and his care and my recovery took some time. But the weather is now getting cool and my basement is warm and I am ready to jam for the next six months and GAS is grabbing hold of me.

NC

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i would go for a powered speaker/monitor.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Multifx is doing all of the coloring you want, of the sound. Doesn’t really matter.
    I run my multifx straight into the board sometimes, since it’s alreadt doing the amp modeling.

circles likes this.
  4. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    The GT-1000 looks like a great unit (I have an ancient GP-8) and I'm a fanboy of Boss.
    My suggestion is get the GT-1000 and try it with your Katana. No use buying a new amp if the Katana can handle it. I also like the Katana haha...

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    The GT1000 is miles better than your katana on its own going to through monitors.....

Its sounds better, more detailed and refined amp models....amazing effects maybe as good as Helix.

The Katana is like GarageBand Lite thats no better than a Mustang, or a Valvetronix....

A good platform for any pedal board is a Fender amp. IMO an HRD lV would be a great option or a Marshall DSL40C is good too. You could go for a powered speaker monitor but if you get a good tube amp with an FX loop youd have much the same going into the FX loop but with tube power and the option of using the amps preamp along with your Multi FX pedal.

6. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    As nice as direct to the board can be, I prefer the punch of an amp behind me. Just my preference. And Amp modeling is to millennial for this old fart haha...

circles likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I'd go for the powered speaker too.

8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    As mentioned, a powered speaker is the way to go.
    MFX units arent designed to be used with amps. Yes, you can do it, but its far from the best way to use the hardware.

9. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Just wanted to poke at this comment in particular.....

Saying the GT1000 does everything your Katana does while true, is saying something like...

"Given my Iphone does everything a regular land line phone does" or "GIven a Ferrari does everything a Toyata Prius does"....

The GT1000 is pretty much next gen modeling perhaps as good as Helix or AXEFX....

The Katana is 200$ amp that sounds like Garageband going into crappy computer moniters....

Trust me your hella upgrading when switching from a Katana to a GT1000 bro....Not even a fair comparison.

10. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah either or a great option at this level of quality.

11. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I just got back from Guitar Center and talked with pretty knowledgeable guy. He didn't have much to say doubt going with a powered speaker unless I want vocals or an acoustic guitar. I'll never do vocals as I'll sterilize every cat in the neighborhood who hears me. My acoustic guitar is played just by itself and I don't see a need to amplify it anytime soon.

Maybe I confused him by saying powered speaker but I am pretty certain I know what you guys are referring to. Could you recommend one with a street price at or around $1,000?

He also recommended a tube amp and I am seriously considering the Orange Rocker 32 2x10 tube amp. It sells for $1,099 and I don't want to spend any more than that.

Since all FX will be handled outboard of the amp I just assume NOT pay for features I don't need but maybe basic EQ functions are worth having on the amp and I can certainly leave them in middle positions.

Thanks.

NC

12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Guitar Centre and knowledgeable guy in the same sentence? That's rare. No, wait, he hadn't got a clue. :)

13. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    You should try your acoustic through the katana. A little delay and reverb and it made mine sound really nice.

14. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    you took the words out of my mouth.

TheDuck and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The GT-1000 looks to be really overpriced to me. What am I missing?

TheDuck likes this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    The whole point of the thread?

TheDuck likes this.
  17. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    something like this. check out what kustom offers as well.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZLX12p--electro-voice-zlx-12p-1000w-12-inch-powered-speaker

18. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    this is new from boss....their answer to the helix or the headrush.

19. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I'm aware of that. Watched a couple vids on it.

Didn't the previous top model list for $500?

20. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    yes, but this one is supposedly better.

The-Kid and johnnymg like this.