Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which amp for home play of SRV, Clapton, Dire Straits, Hendrix?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by ClosetSciFiGeek, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek New Member!

Jul 30, 2013
    Eastern Seaboard
    Problem: I can't get clean enough, loud enough with my current amp.

Been playing through a Blackstar HT-1R Metal on the clean channel in a largeish finished room over the garage. I am playing an Elite Fender Strat. I am a transplanted classical guitar player so, predictably, I gravitate toward cleaner amp sounds. My little 1 watt amp got pretty decent clean sounds, especially with an EHX Soul Food set up as a clean boost with the volume at 12 o'clock and the gain at minimum with my former lower output pickup's in my Classic Vibe 60's Strat with GFS '59 professional pickups. My new Elite Strat has hotter pickup's and I can't get clean enough loud enough.

What would you folks recommend for playing SRV, Clapton, Dire Straits, Hendrix, and Pink Floyd stuff?

I am open minded and have pedals for reverb, delay, and overdrive so the amp doesn't necessarily have to do those things on its own. I would like to be able to have enough clean headroom to play crystal clean stuff like, "Lenny", but not blow me out of the room when I want to get some edge of breakup stuff.

2. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    5f1 champ (perhaps with a 10" speaker) or 5e3 deluxe, although the latter can get loud

Stratoskater likes this.

3. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Super Champ X2

amstratnut likes this.

4. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    A Princeton Reverb and pedals.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Get a 12" extension cab, load it with a very efficient speaker, like a Red Fang or Celestion Blue/Gold. Then use the amp you have. :D

Paperback Rocker and gwjensen like this.

6. ClosetSciFiGeek

Jul 30, 2013
    Eastern Seaboard
    Should've put that out. I run the Blackstar into a closed back Eminence V128 12" cabinet

7. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Looks like your heading into the +50 watt range. ie.75 -100

8. fezz parka

Then you're there as far as efficient goes. That leaves the amp.

Try it with the gain all the way down and the volume cranked. Bring up the gain. Is it cleaner this way? If not reverse it. Gain cranked volume down. Then bring up the volume. Make sure the od button is off.

gwjensen and Folk_Hogan like this.

9. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I too am into Fender clean tones.

Check out a vintage Musicman HD amp, there's a few different versions, tons of clean headroom and very affordable.

Nothing below a twin gets there for me, and yet a twin seems like way too much amp.

Sacreligious content ahead----

If you're not afraid of going full on solid state I love playing through Roland Jazz Chorus', there are two new smaller versions as well. (I'm very into Chorus).

Lastly, if it's truly just home use, I practice with a new Fender GT mustang 40. Has every preset you'd ever need, is cheap, and actually sounds good..

I'm pretty much a vintage Fender purist but I love the Musicmans and Jazz Chorus'...

Paperback Rocker and fezz parka like this.

10. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I'm not being cheeky - this can be very very useful. For home playing and recording (i.e. low volume) - it's really hard to beat. (and I still love tube amps)

[​IMG]

11. fezz parka

Also...clean (to me) means no gizmos. No distortion boxes, boosts etc. Just the guitar, amp, and any reverb/delay/time-based effect.

Folk_Hogan and stevierayfan91 like this.

12. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    hi, buddy
    have you gotten to play through vintage Princetone Reverb and vintage MusicMan HD amp side by side?

i ask because am saving for nicer amp for my birthday this year.

13. ClosetSciFiGeek

Jul 30, 2013
    Eastern Seaboard
    So far the Princeton Reverb Reissue seems like it is winning the battle for me. I have to admit I am predisposed to this model. I used to have a Fender Mustang III, but it was like overload setting it up. That is why I play a lot of steel string and classical. I just pick it up and rip it. Less is more to me so the Princeton appeals more than the ultimately though tweakable modeling amps, even though they sound pretty good. About the Princetons which one? The '68 Custom or the '65? I am thinking the '65. They also have an FSR with a 12" that sounds even better.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

14. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Another vote for the Princeton Reverb. I can play quiet enough at home and I get compliments on my tone at gigs all the time. Even outdoors.

15. ClosetSciFiGeek

Jul 30, 2013
    Eastern Seaboard
    Looks like I have to liquidate my travel claim from my last business trip and go play some Princetons and decide which one. Thanks for the thoughtful inputs.

16. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    My recommendation is the Bugera V22.
    Great sounding, affordable, all tube, two channel amp.

Guitarmageddon and johnnymg like this.