Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Which famous guitarist, if any, inspired you to buy your first Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AfroBill, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Oh! DUH!

Man I need some coffee. Or a martini.

gwjensen and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  2. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talk Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Woodley, GB
    I used google search ;)

3. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I started making noise on my dad's guitar when I was a baby. Started really playing around 1990--including goofing around on my stepfather's acoustic and his Ibanez Iceman, but quickly switched to bass. I bought my first guitar (Yamaha classical) in 1996. Followed by a bunch of other guitars--I have 11 not, not counting the basses.

I started looking for a Strat because 3 of my favorite guitarists play Strat, and I wanted to play more of their music. Jimi Hendrix, Dave Gilmour, and Mark Knopfler.

4. Stratomike

Stratomike New Member!

Mar 17, 2018
    Vienna
    Lots of great Strat players I always loved. However it was because of Frusciante that I bought my first Strat this year. Now I am a former Les Paul player :whistling:

5. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    Japan
    Rory for me too. First time I heard "Million Miles Away" I knew I was getting a strat.
    Had been and remain to this day a Les Paul guy (tbh) but there's something amazing about that initial Dsus2 hammer on that sends shivers through my guts every time. Its like calling the court to order or the calm before the storm: promises a lot. And he always gave it 110%.

"My mood is really not in style.."

Summed up his career. If he'd been English or American he'd have been massive. But Irish, Catholic and the kind that crosses the border to play to the Ulstermen? Nope. He never married. Fathered no children. Total waste and a premature death he didn't deserve. :(

PS: 'Beano tone' was totally a dimed AC30 and NOT a JTM45 as everyone (including him) believes.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. StratEdgy

StratEdgy Strat-Talk Member

Jul 13, 2017
    NW Coast USA
    [​IMG]

Little Steven Van Zandt

Fuhgeddabowtit!

gwjensen and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  7. daza152

daza152 Strat-Talker

Jul 7, 2012
    New Zealand
    for me it's Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour.

gwjensen and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  8. Shoegoo

Shoegoo Strat-O-Master

Aug 16, 2010
    Louisiana
    I didn't start on electric. So for me it was Bob Dylan.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  9. StratEdgy

StratEdgy Strat-Talk Member

Jul 13, 2017
    NW Coast USA
    This guy...:D
    [​IMG]
    MIK Jaguar :D He sings pretty well also.

savofenno likes this.
  10. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I did mention D. Gilmour earlier, but really, it was not him specifically. More like the world of what a Strat was, and was capable of.

11. 4stratshere

4stratshere Strat-Talk Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Seafrank
    Well , I'm showing my age even more because Bob Dylan then Jimi Hendrix pictures made me want a Strat. Cheers

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    How do you know this?

13. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Beano? & Rory? Are you getting confused with some local guitarist called Clapton? Wasn't he the one associated with the Beano album?

14. Btyork

Btyork New Member!

Nov 11, 2018
    Lawrence, KS
    My older brother (from playing his) and David Gilmour as an artist

15. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    Jimi Hendrix
    Ritchie Blackmore

Percy and Rastus like this.
  16. nsnate02

nsnate02 Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    This guy. Mine is exactly the same. images.jpeg

Willie D and AfroBill like this.
  17. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    Buddy Guy in 1973.

T Guitar Floyd and StratEdgy like this.
  18. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I've loved Jimi since 1968, because Are You Experienced and Smash Hits, were available. But I never thought about his choice of guitars, until I saw the cover of the Band of Gypys, with it's multicolored image of Jimi on the cover, with the reversed large headstock, I realized it was a Fender Stratocaster. This is why I still like the large headstock that is on my 1970 Strat.

George Harrison also influenced me greatly as the Beatles were popular. I really felt his mastery of the Strat was exhibited on the All Things Must Pass album. To this day I don't understand the sounds he got out of the 'Rocky' Strat. My Strat is finished in Oly White a tribute to both Jimi and George, my biggest influences to buy the 1970 Strat.

But after the 'conversions' of both EC and Jeff Beck to Strats, both after Jimi's death, really impressed me to buy another Strat, especially since I loved the Yardbirds hits on the radio, and all their big hits had Jeff Beck on a Tele. So in the 80's Jeff was playing a few Superstrats and Fender offered him his signature model, I was hooked. I wanted a 1989 signature Jeff Beck Strat, but chose a Strat Ultra, that shared the same components as the Beck Strat, e.g., Lace Sensors and locking tuners, but with an added Ebony fingerboard. EC's version of the Strat sounded like a 'Gibsonian' Strat. If I wanted that sound, I'd buy a Gibson LP with P90's, which after years of waiting for a cheap version, I bought a LP Tribute '60's model, and it is awesome.

I credit Jimi for saving the Strat. Sales numbers were low in '66-'67, and the new CBS/Fender, with Leo still on the board, did consider discontinuing the Strat. But after Jimi caught on, sales improved a lot.

T Guitar Floyd and AfroBill like this.
  19. Dixon333

Dixon333 New Member!

Nov 11, 2018
    Indiana
    Carlos Santana, Deer Creek, with Jeff Beck closing it out