Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which is best for Gilmour Songs ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by slash1814, Oct 10, 2017.

For Gilmour Songs "..And Then, Coming back to life, Shine on.., 'Brick in the Wall solo' " tone

1. Fender MIM

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Squier Standard

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Classic Vibe 50

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Vintage Modified 70s (Black Maple)

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 1, 2017
    India
    Hey Ebidis, welcome the thread :)

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Thanks.

And I agree with everyone above who said any of those guitars can work. And don't wory about a maple fretboard. IMHO they are wonderful.

I have a VM Tele Deluxe, and it is a great guitar! If the VM '70s Strat is anywhere close in quality and playability, you will probably love it. ;)

slash1814 and fezz parka like this.

3. slash1814

Oct 1, 2017
    India
    Just wondering why does a 'Squier Deluxe' sounds mellow / warm with respect to a 'Squier Vintage Modified', despite almost the same specifications (including pickups). Is it just me?

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    Based on the question I'm assuming that you have actually tried and compared the two in person - and have discovered the truth that, like people, guitars are individuals and no two will feel or sound exactly the same. The weight, grain, and density of the wood - both the neck and body - and then how the two interact with each other - not only the quality of the hardware but the quality of the assembly (ie setup) - and even then, there are times when you have all the "right" parts and you end up with a guitar that is just "meh." Of course, the reverse is also true - I've had pieces that I fully expected to sound like garbage and was pleasantly surprised.

To get to your original question, if you are planning on keeping the guitars stock, the 50's style with get you the right feel, but the pickups will relegate you to early PF material - pre-Animals material - before Gilmour started using hotter pickups, especially in the bridge. Some of the songs you referenced were either performed on guitars with HB's, or using EMG's, which gave an almost humbucker type of output.

If you are willing to do a bridge pickup swap that would be your best option - Gilmour's black strat supposedly still has it's original late 60/ early 70's neck and middle pickups - but with a bridge pickup that is wound over 12K (the Duncan SSL-5.)

If I were starting from scratch this would be my approach: find a black or candy apple red MIM Classic Series 50's or a MIJ 50's strat - and put a set of GHS Gilmour Signature strings (yeah, it makes a difference, as he uses a funky set: .048,.038,.028,.016,.012,.010. - gives you a huge low end, but very bendy, responsive plain strings.)

Finally, drop in a set of DAllen Echoes pickups. Myself and at least one or two other Strat-Talkers actually helped David in the development of this pickup set, and (at least pickup wise,) will give you the ability to play nearly the entire PF catalog. The bridge pickup is tapped to allow you to select between a slightly boosted vintage output and the more high powered 12.5K version similar to the Duncan SSL-5. I have two strats with them in it, and you can go from a classic strat bridge to almost a P-90 style output.
    Even Bjorn of Gilmourish raved about them, saying "I don’t know why no one has thought of this before. Gilmour fan or not, what you get is an incredibly versatile combo allowing you to cover a wide range of tones – and possibly saving you a guitar swap or two during a show! Highly recommended for your Black Strat project!"

Here's a demo I did with the prototype set I tested:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Xcaster, Chont and slash1814 like this.

5. slash1814

Oct 1, 2017
    India

6. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

IME, you can take two guitars with the exact same "specs" and they'll sound different. Part of the deal.

Ebidis likes this.

7. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    See? This is one of the problems with the internet. So many people spouting "the pickups are all that matters" confuses people.

I keep trying to tell people that no two guitars (even same make/model, made on the same day with identical specs) will not feel and sound exactly the same, but do they listen?

fezz parka likes this.

8. fezz parka

Well, we live in a world where shortcuts and just-add-water results are what people expect. Instant gratification. And, IMO, it just doesn't work that way when it comes to music and the tools we use to make it. Try to get the sounds with the tools you have.
    My favorite story is about Adrian Belew playing with Bowie. He had to get Fripp-sounds (Heroes for example).
    Did he get a LP and a couple of Revox tape machines....or did he take his Strat and JC120 and find his way to replicate it? He used the tools he had. He did the work. :D

9. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Did you see the pic I posted in another thread of me from 1988?

406BF2CC-6836-4C71-A4DB-5092C4EA300B_zpsgyv0dvuf.jpg

That is a 1976 Les Paul Standard. It was my only guitar for about 5 years. I had that guitar, an amp a wah pedal, and a ProCo Rat.

I have said this before, but when that one guitar was all I had it was a great learning exercise, because I had to figure out how to get all of the sounds I wanted with just that guitar, a black face amp, a distortion and wah pedal.

I learned a lot about fingers, strings, picking, dynamics, attack, bending, tone knobs, etc. So later on when I was able to buy more equipment, I already had the fundamentals down, and knew how to make any guitar sound the way I wanted it to.

There is no shortcut or replacement for time spent practicing and experimenting.

10. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    Any of them with a compressor and delay

11. syncopa

syncopa Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2015
    NY
    I have THE ULTIMATE anti Black Strat! It's a 2001 AVRI 57 reissue with a http://www.stratcat.biz/4035.shtml
    pick guard.

100_2623.JPG

It is ash with the most awesome 7.5" radius... which will make you work! It is my number 1 strat for playing live! If I am recording I will switch back to the 57's, but live this pick guard with these pups is untouched!

12. syncopa

syncopa Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2015
    NY

I've seen Belew in MANY small club situations and his ability to just YANK the neck of his strat back to where he THINKS it needs to be is UNBELIEVABLE! It is TRULY unbelievable! You have to see him to understand it.

fezz parka likes this.

13. fezz parka

I've seen him. One of my favorites.

14. aviamsi

aviamsi Strat-O-Master

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    As long as you have the Trem arm you are all set :)

15. slash1814

Oct 1, 2017
    India

16. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    Gilmour only used(s) 21, so that is inaccurate.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The app I think; I can see the poll now that I'm in a browser.

18. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Get a red one with a maple neck and a set of EMG's.

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Are you gonna give us a hint?

20. syncopa

syncopa Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2015
    NY
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but... Belew, Levin, and Mastelletto just did a 2 week camp here recently and if you were in the know, you could catch them locally in a different venue. I mean less than a 100 people each night. Mainly Crimson and Stickmen. Totally mind blowing!

fezz parka likes this.