Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which is most important to you?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Aug 24, 2017.

1. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

providing habitat.:thumb:

2. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

Whoever did that must be a real a$$ :rolleyes:

Ebidis and montemerrick like this.

3. montemerrick

anything can be fussed with until its nice. tweaking things to a more perfect state is daily work.

The Strat Dude and Ebidis like this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Something about Ferrari transmissions and tone is in your hands?:whistling::confused:

The Strat Dude likes this.

5. The Strat Dude

The opossum I dont mind but the yellow jacket nest is getting problematic o_Oo_O

6. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    My momma always said: A$$es are as a$$es do...

7. montemerrick

its a simple fact that wasp larvae make all compassion for wasps look quite naive. no need to let them become adults. and nests? into the void with them. adults, well, just don't use poison. it lingers in the environment.

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    As @Mr. Lumbergh says: if it ain't broke, it can still probably be optimized. :eek:

9. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Best just to smash them uner foot...

Honey bee = cute, industrious little creature that provides a sweet treet which brings a smile to the face of children.

Wasp = just a D.I.C.K!

10. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Polar opposite, I feel that you can make a guitar sound any way you want it to, but some guitars are just terrible no matter how much love you sink into them.

nigelr likes this.

11. The Strat Dude

lieutenant Dan, ice cream ;)

Ebidis likes this.

12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Always feel. If the hands don't like it, the ears don't get a vote.

jimyjazz, Ebidis and felis like this.

13. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    I have to go with feel. To me, it's easier to switch out pups, and electronics, and cheaper, than to replace a neck or a body. Case in point. I had a beautiful trans blue Pro Tone that sounded good, looked good, but the neck was to thin, and didn't feel good to me. So...instead of breaking it up, I sold it and the $$ helped fund a better fitting strat. So yeah feel for me.

Ebidis likes this.

14. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    Sound, sure but the main thing is how it responds to my touch.

S Mac

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    My experience has always been just the opposite; notice in the OP, I said I can dial in any decently built guitar to play well (and I can), but if it sounds flat, and uninspiring to me, then I will never bond with it. I have had guitars in the past with which I have changed pickups, tried different amps, etc, and tried hard to love, because they were excellent players and felt superb. However, in the end the sound was not doing it for me, so they are gone.

On the flip side, I have had guitars that sounded like... OMG! but they did not feel, or play the best. With some time and work on my part, I got them to play (IMHO) like monsters!

I still Have those guitars, and I do not have the guitars that sounded flat.

I'm not trying to sound egotistical, but I think if you have the skills to work on a guitar, and do a complete setup (as per @Ronkirn) from the ground up to your liking, then you can take a dog from "hard to play" to "wonderful" in a day. With a little time, and very little investment. However, a guitar that fundamentally sounds like crap, will always sound like crap, no matter what you do to it.

Of course, all of this is just IMHO. If your opinion differs, then disregard all of the above.

Hammer 4 likes this.

16. Dadocaster

It's possible that your technique may be amenable to large differences in guitars. My technique is kind of specific in several ways and I am uncomfortable on some guitars. I did a lot of set ups for beer money so that's not the thing. For me, it's the feel of the neck and the way my right hand feels when I am playing, damping, hybrid picking and so on. I can PLAY pretty much any guitar, but if I am going to own it, it needs to be comfy.

Hammer 4 likes this.

17. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    Oh, I've had guitars that weren't that great in their stock form, but with some work, and on one it cost me to much $$$ to get to where I liked it. in the end, to take wood off of a neck, but it pretty dang tuff to add wood..lol I do my own work, to include set ups, in fact, when I had my mim refreted with jumbo frets, the tech set up as per my request, welp, after playing it for about 3 mins..I had to re set it up, when I told him to float the trem, I meant Float the dang thing. Anyway, I get what your saying, I just try to get as much out of the guitar as possible with the least amount of cash out lay. Being retired on a fixed income does that to ya..lol

Ebidis likes this.

18. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    yeh

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think you're right. As I said, It's all IMHO. I have a few different guitars, and they are all quite different from each other in feel, but I can pick up any one of them and get along just fine.

I think there are some players who are very guitar specific, and then there are those like me, who can get along with a wide variety of guitar types. So because I am not so very specific about things like neck profile, weight, body style, etc, I tend to put more emphasis on sound.

I could be dead wrong, but it's a theory.

Hammer 4 likes this.

20. Dadocaster

It's a good theory.

Ebidis and Hammer 4 like this.