Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which is most important to you?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I guess I'm lucky in the fact that I prefer slim necks, but can get along with fat ones if I have to, because you are right, it's very hard to add wood to a neck. ;)

Hammer 4 likes this.

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    I should point out that I have carpel tunnel and arthritis in my left hand, so a bigger neck feels more comfy, and helps me play longer.

nigelr likes this.

3. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Which is most important to me?

Colour

Look.

I'm serious, if a guitar is not a colour I love or doesn't get my juices going by the look I don't want to know.

Any guitar can be set up to play great and sound great, even if it requires a pickup change and you always have the option of pedals even though I don't use them personally, but if it doesn't look right......

Ebidis likes this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I agree, looks are actually very important. Very.

I also agree that any guitar can be set up to play great, but IME, if a guitar fundamentally sounds like crap, it always will, no matter what pedals you run it through (and I don't want to rely on pedals for a good sound), or what pickups you put in it.

YMMV.

5. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    For me the feel of the neck is everything... can get most guitars to sound more or less the same... they always sound like me - the cheap kitty caster I just got my daughter doesn't sound night and day different to my top of the line CS strat when I play it...:(

jimyjazz and Dadocaster like this.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I like to get to know a gal before I buy her. Quality beats quantity every day of the week.

7. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Neck feel. Id throw in body shape but I own pointy giitars.......
    Sound can readily be tailored by smps , pedals, software, hardware.

8. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    If I had to choose one I'll go with sound. I can typically get on with any neck and all of my guitars have their own unique feel but what comes out of the speakers will inspire me most.

My Tele comes to mind as an example. It's a great sounding guitar but the neck is a bit narrower than I prefer and I'm not a fan of its vintage frets. It's still one of my most played guitars because I love the sounds I get from it. One day @mshivy will realize he doesn't need 8 guitar necks and sell me one of his. :p

Ebidis likes this.

9. Bingopete

Bingopete New Member!

Aug 4, 2016
    US
    Neither. It's overall energy is most important. I don't pick up a guitar at a shop that doesn't know my name. When that energy or vibe is right, usually I get both a good feeling and sounding instrument.

10. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    Sound for me too. All my guitars have different specs, frets, neck profiles, etc. I just buy em because I visualize the color they'll give to what I do.

There are two things I'll say I don't like much: baseball bat and vintage radius necks (I do like vintage vibe necks like the classic player 60's) but beyond that I feel I can work with anything as long as it sounds good so... in that matter I wouldn't know how to spec a custom made guitar because I like so many features.

11. Deckard

Deckard Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Kind of a cop out answer but both equally. My personal holy trinity of guitars is sound, look, feel.

12. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep, first and foremost, and that includes the fretwork. I don't think the body counts for much and everything else is can be replaced, so it all comes down to the neck, IMO.

13. kargoboy

kargoboy Strat-O-Master

Aug 3, 2014
    St. Augustine
    I don't like really flat necks, so anything flatter than a 12 wouldn't be considered normally.
    I also like smallish frets.
    Once we get past those two hurdles, it's all about the overall tone.

14. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    Fat neck, super low action, big frets....all most important for me.

15. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Can't have one without the other. All in or nothing.

16. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    ya know, i havent read any of the replies ......im just gonna give you the one and only real answer....the most important thing is...."DO THE CHICKS DIG IT?" thats it man. if the chicks dig it, no matter what it is, you got it made.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

17. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I try an electric unplugged at first to see if we need to even go to an amp.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

18. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    1. Looks
    2. Feel
    3. Sound

Is how I pick a guitar. It has to attract me visually for me to even try it.

Then like @henderman said, it has to feel right (when I say feel, I'm not just talking about the neck, but the sustain as well) or it doesn't even get plugged in. If it's hard to play or feels dead I'm done with it.

Only then do I plug it in to see how it sounds. That's the final and most important test for me.

The sound is the most important, feel is next and then looks are last important, but I come at the whole thing backwards.

It's worked ok for me so far.

19. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Feel.

Any "basic" guitar will sound fine. Some sound better than others but feel can make up for a lot.

Course there are duds.

20. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Feel, definitely for me. I haven't plugged a guitar into an amp in a store for many, many years. I buy them based on how they feel and how they react, how they sound depends on the amp and the way you play them. It's not always possible to get them to sound "right", so then they get moved on, but not very often, but feel has to come first for me.