Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Which Muff sounds most like Gilmour's CN solo?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by MetalPedal, Oct 10, 2018.

1. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA

Another vote for SUF. I had one years ago that I foolishly sold. I have the Black Russian on my board now, but it will be replaced by a smaller unit. Probably a SUF of some color

MetalPedal likes this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I get what your saying, but I've heard David play that solo on a Gretsch Duo Jet, through a totally clean rig, and pull it off like just another Friday night.

I thoroughly believe in what @Ronkirn says: "It ain't the equipment. It ain't ever gonna be the equipment".

Just MHO YMMV etc.

Electgumbo and TheDuck like this.
  3. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Electgumbo and MetalPedal like this.
  4. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    The difference being he doesn't need any help to sound like himself. For me to sound like someone else, I need help.

Electgumbo likes this.
  5. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
  6. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Strat-Talk Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Honestly, with the right "Tone" and "Sustain" settings, and an amp that breaks up nicely (I think Gilmour used a modded HiWatt) any used original format BMP will get you *most* of the way there. The possible exceptions would be the Op-Amp BMP's, which have a more grind-y, more gnarly distortion character, at least to my ears. A lot of guys swear up-and-down that the Russian pedals are more "bass-y", and I think that may be partly true, but I think we're getting into inches and degrees there.

Just don't go full-bore on the "Sustain" knob-- gradually blend it in to taste.

MetalPedal likes this.
  7. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2017
    The backyard
    I use an Earthquaker Devices Hoof. Excellent pedal.

8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    One very important, and usually over looked aspect of the Muff pedals is they are meant to be played loud.
    The fuzz pedal was designed to push a non master volume tube amp over the edge when it was cranked.

Playing a fuzz at bedroom levels isnt the best idea, and there are other pedals that will yield better results at low volume levels.

Aside from that, a vintage Muff is the only way to go. Ive never played a reissue that came close.

Gilmour kept the Muff sustain turned down, and boosted it with a Colorsound or Chandler Tube Driver pedal.
    He also ran an Electric Mistress flanger / phase inverter that played a huge part in his tone.

All of the above reduce mids, DG put them back with a Boss GE-7

9. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Ended up with the new BMP re-issue. Agree with the comment around moderate sustain level. This pedal sounds so good that I’m glad I bought it even if it might be a tad too loud for my studio. An attenuator might be in my future so I can try it on the 60W Hot Rod Deville. The sustain directly into a tube amp on med volume provides amazing sounds with power chords and such. The lead sound is bit too violin-like on its own but I only played around with it for about ten min while the wife was out. No regrets for the $.

mshivy and TheDuck like this.
  10. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Inside and outside. Comes with a battery too.

AFF55622-3184-4318-A4DD-634D6C8146FB.jpeg 69247C87-861C-4074-96D2-F1AB1BEFF6C7.jpeg

TheDuck, Chont and dante1963 like this.
  11. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Heard back from Marc, seems like a great guy with some great gear. I'm going to keep an eye out for this stuff in Canada.

Electgumbo likes this.
  12. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Another pedal brand that's now on my radar.

13. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
  14. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
  15. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles