Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which OD does this?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by JustABluesGuy, Sep 15, 2018 at 7:24 AM.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    A recent post about TS style pedals got me wondering. It seems to me that my ideal OD pedal would be one that has a three band EQ. Preferably bass, treble, and a parametric mid knob that will allow you to move any mid hump up or down to taste.

Again, “ideally” with the BMT all set at noon, the EQ would be flat, or out of the circuit completely, and with the gain at zero, the pedal would simply be a clean boost.

Something like this could also be setup like a TS, but with less (or more) bass or treble cut. Depending on the setup, I find my TS9 can cut too much bass, and the mids sometimes sound too “nasal” to me. Sometimes I just want “more dirt” without ANY eq changes at all.

Basically I’m looking for a pedal that can be a customizable TS, or a clean boost, a flat dirt boost, or simply a three band eq with no OD or boost. I’m sure there must be a pedal like this out there somewhere, right?

Can someone tell me what pedal does this?

2. Chief101

Chief101 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    Wampler Tumnus Deluxe is in that neighborhood.

3. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the feedback. It does look interesting.

4. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2012
    Flew Here On My Dragonfly
    STRATCATMAN, Grux and JustABluesGuy like this.

5. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the feedback. I had one of these (my cousing is now gigging it as a DI box).

He’s reported that it’s working great for him as an “amp in box” pedal. It didn’t work that well (for me) as an OD into the front end of an amp. If I remember it was a bit noisy with my setup.

I didn’t really spend very much time with it though. They are cheap enough that I might give it another try.

6. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    The Damage Control Womanizer does all that, if you can find one. It doesn't have a 3 band EQ but it does have a pre frequency boost/cut and a post bass treble.

It also has a DI with a 4x12 simulator and an optical compressor. It's a tube driven pedal.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

7. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA

8. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks! I’m not familiar with the the 805, but I quickly checked out a review, and it seems like that is very close to what I am looking for!

Seymour Duncan likes this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I'd be keen to find something that essentially sent the bass through dry and worked only on the highs and upper mids. It always seems like lows get muddy and lose their punch through a dirt pedal.

10. mojosman

mojosman Strat-O-Master

Mar 24, 2013
    Western Mass
    IMG_8563.JPG
    Plus 1 on the 805. I literally bought one on a whim, so my expectations weren’t very high. However when I got it home and played it, it was way better than I expected. It knocked my Tube Sceamer out of the mix. This pedal is by far superior pedal to my TS5.

JustABluesGuy and Seymour Duncan like this.

11. 1300Valencia

1300Valencia Senior Stratmaster

Oct 19, 2011
    Fullerton
    Which is why virtually every overdrive pedal cuts the bass, at least before clipping stages. Too much distorted bass on your amp's overdrive is bad, too. Added bass when quietly "home alone" is what everyone wants to sound full and not so nasal, but live, or at least loud, it's generally muddy, farty, and indistinct. Accept your mid-hump overlords, humans!

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Which doesn't address my point at all. Why not pass the bass on through dry and apply drive to the mids and high only?
    It can be done but to my knowledge no makers are doing this.

13. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden

14. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2014
    NY
    VFE Pale Horse is mt favorite TS variant. It has separate pre-gain Bass & post-gain Treble controls in addition to a regular Tone knob; it also has a Comp knob to offer three different characters. From the website: "The type and amount of compression is set by the COMP knob. Turn clockwise for dynamic, full mosfet saturation, or counterclockwise for singing, sweet asymmetrical drive. At 12:00, all that remains is the pure op amp gain."

Very flexible pedal, though discontinued and becoming hard to find these days.

15. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I will check that out.

16. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    This is why I want more control over the EQ. I often play in a duo setting (acoustic rhythm and electric lead) where a some bass fits well.

I also play with bass and drums sometimes and will want to cut more bass to stay out of their way.

I guess a pedal that can be tweaked to work for “home alone” (or low volume acoustic accompaniment), as well as in a band mix is what I am looking for.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 9:10 AM

17. JustABluesGuy

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX

18. fezz parka

fezz parka Ω Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Bad Bob. Gives you more of what's already there. After using many different boost pedals over the years, it's the keeper.