Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Which strings for my acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by Nadnitram, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Strat-Talker

Jul 18, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    Help me pick the right strings.

I have been playing guitar for years, so I'm no stranger to string changes; I am, however, brand new to bass.I just purchased a Rogue AB 304 A acoustic-electric bass on the cheap -- $40 from a local Craigslist seller. The roundwounds on it are corroded and gummed up, and I want to replace them. However, I'm somewhat confused by the offerings.

Here are my concerns:
    1. Based on the 32" scale, I think I need Medium Scale strings. However, my local shop only stocks longs. Is it okay to put longs on a medium scale bass, or should I order some mediums? I am not aware of different length strings for six-string guitars, so I assume there must be a reason for marketing different length strings on bass.
    2. I know the body is on the small side, and I've read that the neck is flimsy. It looks like my choice is between a pack of .040-.100 and a pack of .045-.100 strings. Is that much of a difference at all? The E string is the same in both sets. What's my best bet on string gauge?
    3. I have had good luck with inexpensive guitar strings. Can I get away with inexpensive bass strings?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    It'll be ok, they just might be a little tighter. It's the gauges that are the most important, not the length; you can always clip off excess.

Nadnitram likes this.

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2015
    phoenix
    I'd disagree with Mr. Lumbergh about the length not being important. If you use long scale strings, you may end up with the silk windings going over the bridge and/or nut, and that will negatively effect it. I'd suggest ordering medium scale strings. If it were mine, I'd contact Jason at Bass strings online http://www.bassstringsonline.com - just send an email, tell him the make and model, and he should be able to recommend correct strings for your bass. You may have to measure the distance between the nut and bridge so he can suggest a perfect match.

Nadnitram likes this.

4. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Strat-Talker

Jul 18, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    mapleglo likes this.

5. kbraker

kbraker Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2006
    findlay ohio
    i would get flat wounds, if your are ok with them.
    surely get the strings that would match the scale length.