Join Strat-Talk Today

Which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jacob95amstd, May 18, 2019.

1. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talker

I'm in the middle of a delimma. I recently picked up a new 2019 Lp standard. I traded my older les paul classic for a 2006 Eric Johnson Strat. I also have a Gibson SG which was my first really nice guitar. I know the new Les Paul isn't going anywhere and I have a bond with the SG's 50's neck profile, but the Les Paul has the same 50's profile as well. I like the Eric Johnson Strat enough so far that I think the versatility would be better than having the SG. On the other hand, I feel like I'll miss my old friend the SG. I've played alot of gigs with it and it's never let me down. One has to go to pay for the LP. Has anyone ever been in this situation? 20190503_210843.jpg 20190509_010440.jpg

2. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

The SG has "similar" pickups as the LP. I would sell the SG.

Deathray, Edbso and Andrew Wasson like this.
  3. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

So you are asking in a Strat forum what would we sell...a Gibson or an EJ Strat??

In all seriousness I have been in that situation many times. I always ask myself a few questions.

Are any of these I am considering getting rid of irreplaceable or something I don't feel like ever be in a financial situation to acquire again?

If all the forces of the universe came down upon you and destroyed everything but one guitar, ask yourself for each one of the ones on the bubble - could you get by 100% with just that one guitar?

Sonically you have two humbucking guitars and one single coil. Do you play enough single coil to justify having one of each or did you just get the Stratocaster for something a little different but you don't use it all the time? Could you get by without it.

If you still can't decide after all of that flip a coin or decide if you can go without something else for a few months so you can keep all three :)

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

I would keep the SG if it was me just for the sentimental value.

I’ve had both SGs and Les Pauls and though superficially similar the playing experience is different enough that to me they aren’t substitutes.

I’d sell the EJ Strat and use some of the money to buy a cheaper Strat and that way at least some of the cost of the les Paul are defrayed. A squier classic vibe or a used mexi standard will cover almost all of the EJ tone.

5. Chief101

Chief101 Senior Stratmaster

My two cents, because I’ve learned the lesson the hard way, never buy a guitar/amp you can’t afford to pay cash for, and never get rid of a guitar you already have and love in order to get a guitar you think you’ll love. Both decisions can lead to unnecessary and avoidable regret. I’ve lost track of the guitars I’ve previously owned I wish I could get back, including an SG, an LP, a V2, and a double cut Special. Good luck in your decision.

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I had one of those SGs. Loved the neck, and it had the 498T pickup in the bridge, it was my favorite set of Gibson pups. If the new Lester had 57 classics, I would forget about it all together. I think I would get rid of the EJ, if I had to have a new LP and needed to come up with some money. And just get a cheaper strat.

Yaralag, arcticstrat and Neil.C like this.
  7. atheras

atheras Strat-Talk Member

very difficult decision....in Greece we have an adage that says....if i step forward i ll fall into the river while if i step backward i ll fall from the cliff... i suppose that in this particular situation you have to keep the guitar that is the most appropriate for your needs...

8. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

You say the SG is your old friend, you love the neck, that you've played a lot of gigs with it, and that it's never let you down. So, does somebody really have to point out to you that you maybe might eventually, probably sooner than later, quite possibly regret selling it? Just my opinion. If I could, I'd really play the Strat and the LP for awhile and see if I really liked them a lot before I made the decision to get rid of the SG.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  9. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I am not so much a fan of large pickguard SGs so I personally wouldn't miss it...I'd keep the Les Paul.I love SGs with the small pickguard like the 61 reissue...that would be a tough call between that and a Les Paul.

10. twangsta

twangsta Strat-Talker

Did you the the new gibson line up of original 50’s standard les paul?

If you got the earlier 2019 standard, I would return the les paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB91710 likes this.
  11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

12. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

That SG looks great!
    I think I'd keep the Strat and the SG.

arcticstrat likes this.
  13. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You will always regret parting with it, just as I still regret parting with my '78 Strat almost 40 years ago.
    Figure out some way to keep all three, or dump the one you have the least bond with.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Supernut and arcticstrat like this.
  14. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

You'll regret it if you sell it. Keep your old friend the SG! ;)

[​IMG]

15. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Personally I would keep the SG. Even though it is a Gibson and has two humbuckers it has a different sound to a Les Paul, nothing sounds like a Les Paul and nothing sounds like an SG either. For me an SG with a 50's neck would be the holy grail. You can play a huge variety of music on an SG.

dante1963 likes this.
  16. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

I would keep the EJ strat...
    well let me rephrase that...
    I would keep both and I would find another way to fund new toys.
    good luck

arcticstrat, Yves and Stratoman10 like this.
  17. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

What sound do you need or use?

Why did you trade for the Strat?

Sounds like your a Gibson guy that thought a Strat looked cool and is now having second thoughts

What did you use the SG for?
    I mean its long scale 24 fret with dual humbuckers
    Does that fit the music your playing?
    Why did you get the Fender?
    They all have s very different sound and feel
    Are you gig’n in a band?
    You playing cover songs and need humbuckers over single coils?
    Whats you amp and effect set up,,i know when i go from my Teley to a Strat i have to change my set up and going to humbuckers is a whole nother process
    I personaly prefer an SG to a Les Paul but each are different
    If i play a Stevie Ray cover it doesnt sound right on a Les Paul(to me anyway) or theres noway an AC/DC or Black Sabbath cover sounds right on my Teley

In my opinion it comes down the right tool for the right job

18. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

Keep the SG, you only get your "first really nice guitar" once:thumb:

dante1963, arcticstrat and nutball73 like this.
  19. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

You can’t out a guitar with as much ‘you’ in it as the SG has. You said it yourself, ‘...........miss my old friend’.

dante1963 and arcticstrat like this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Yeah but, like WHY?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.